My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aerial Signal

(15 posts)
  1. ssenior45

ssenior45

This is not strictly related to the Aura, but it comes from my investigations into poor signal quality on my Aura on SD channels and the lack of any HD channels from CH55.

I have an outside aerial coming into the loft connected to a booster with 4 outputs. 3 of the outputs are currently in use feeding my lounge (Aura) and two other rooms (kitchen and bedroom with BT Youview boxes). The cables are run from the loft down the wall cavities out into wall outlets in each room.

With the Aura plugged into the lounge aerial feed, the signal quality on a variety of SD channels is very poor and constantly fluctuates between 50 and 100% leading to pixellation and picture break-ups. I can also not receive any HD channels from CH55.

I brought in one of the BT YouView boxes and plugged this into the lounge aerial feed. The situation was the same: fluctuations on SD channels and no HD channels from CH55.

The BT YouView box when plugged into the kitchen aerial feed gets 100% signal quality on all channels and can receive all HD channels from CH55.

I plugged my Aura into the the kitchen aerial feed, and it was getting 100% signal quality on all channels and can then receive all HD channels from CH55.

So, I've ruled out the Aura as the culprit and it is the aerial feed from the loft booster to the lounge that is the problem.

It's not the aerial itself as the other feeds coming from it and the booster in the kitchen and bedroom have 100% picture quality and get all HD channels.

I don't know what I can do about this as I only have access to the end of the cable that plugs into the booster in the loft, and the wall outlet in the lounge. I cannot replace the whole cable as it runs down the wall cavities and was put in a couple of years ago when we renovated the house.

Any ideas as to what I could try?

Thanks in advance.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 16:21:56 #1 |
  2. Mars

Mars

special member

Have you tried swapping around the outputs from the booster? Maybe some of the outputs are faulty.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 16:52:09 #2 |
  3. ssenior45

ssenior45

That's a good suggestion, but yes I have tried that and there's no improvement.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 16:54:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Try replacing the connectors at the amplifier end and either replace the socket plate on the wall outlet or just disconnect the face plate, trim/tidy the cable and fit the appropriate male/female Belling-Lee connector.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 17:03:08 #4 |
  5. ssenior45

ssenior45

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Is there a guide you'd recommend to follow on how to replace these in the correct way? Sorry to ask, but never done this before.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 17:11:22 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

7. ssenior45

ssenior45

Thanks. Is there any way to do this without needing a soldering iron?

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 17:19:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Yes.
    A lot of the connectors have a tiny screw in the barrel to clamp down onto the inner core. If the ones you get don't have that, just use your pliers to put a couple of tiny kinks ~~~ in the copper core so that it makes several connections inside the barrel.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 17:31:20 #8 |
  9. ssenior45

ssenior45

Thanks. That helps.

So this is just bizarre. I unplugged the cable feeding the lounge from the booster and went back downstairs expecting the Aura to be showing the no signal message, but it was still playing all channels as if the cable was still plugged in.

WTF.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 18:21:31 #9 |
  10. ssenior45

ssenior45

Christ, I've just realised what's going on. When we had the house renovated they installed a new aerial on the roof and fed 4 new feeds off it, but left the original aerial on the roof which feeds only the lounge!! Aaargh.

So I guess I need to replace that with a better aerial as it's probably over 20 years old. Or maybe just a booster on that aerial?

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 18:26:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.