My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aerial Signal

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

So you have two roof aerials, one newish connected to a multi-splitter (in the loft?) and the old one feeding only the lounge?
    Is the old aerial cable running externally down the house and in through the wall?

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 19:49:59 #11 |
  2. ssenior45

ssenior45

Yes, I've just been outside and followed the cable along the roof and down the wall into the lounge.

Presumably an aerial fitter can just replace the aerial and leave that cabling as it is and connect it to the new one?

Or should I try a booster between the wall outlet and the Aura?

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 20:07:22 #12 |
  3. ssenior45

ssenior45

Answered my own question in the end. I tried a booster between the wall outlet and the Aura and all seems well. Solid 100% quality on the SD channels that were fluctuating before, and a new automatic channel search picked up the missing HD channels on CH55 and a few others too.

Happy days. I've learned a lot today

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 21:06:08 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ssenior45 - 7 mins ago  » 
    Answered my own question in the end. I tried a booster between the wall outlet and the Aura and all seems well. Solid 100% quality on the SD channels that were fluctuating before, and a new automatic channel search picked up the missing HD channels on CH55 and a few others too.

Confused. Why do you expect SD channels to be harder to receive than HD ones ?

All UK Freeview transmitters transmit the Main HD channel on asingle PSB-3 mux at similar power to the SD MUx.

The additional ones will very shortly be removed anyway.

By the end of this month according to latest info,

You should be able to watch BBC1-HD, BBC2-HD ITV-HD, Channel-4-HD and channel 5-HD.

And record 4 of them without issues, And also record the other one by simply setting a watch reservation.

Why anyone with a 4K tv would want to watch a SD recording, I cannot understand ?

Even with a Full-HD TV the picture quality is superior.

If you cannot see the difference, You need to get a eyesight test or new glasses.

The only SD content I watch is BBC1-SD breakfast on a 16:9 android tablet every morning, only because the regional news only is on Freeview.

My Aura is set to enter full sby from midnight to 06:30.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 21:36:24 #14 |
  5. ssenior45

ssenior45

grahamlthompson - 19 mins ago  » 

ssenior45 - 7 mins ago  » 

Confused. Why do you expect SD channels to be harder to receive than HD ones ?
    All UK Freeview transmitters transmit the Main HD channel on asingle PSB-3 mux at similar power to the SD MUx.
    The additional ones will very shortly be removed anyway.
    By the end of this month according to latest info,
    You should be able to watch BBC1-HD, BBC2-HD ITV-HD, Channel-4-HD and channel 5-HD.
    And record 4 of them without issues, And also record the other one by simply setting a watch reservation.
    Why anyone with a 4K tv would want to watch a SD recording, I cannot understand ?
    Even with a Full-HD TV the picture quality is superior.
    If you cannot see the difference, You need to get a eyesight test or new glasses.
    The only SD content I watch is BBC1-SD breakfast on a 16:9 android tablet every morning, only because the regional news only is on Freeview.
    My Aura is set to enter full sby from midnight to 06:30.

I don’t recall saying that I expect SD channels to be harder to receive than HD ones.

To summarise my issue, my Aura was on its own separate aerial which had no booster. I was seeing signal quality fluctuations on SD channels between 50-100% causing pixelation and picture break ups. In addition the channel search never discovered any channels on CH55.

I’ve fitted a booster between the wall outlet and the Aura and retuned. All channels now have 100% constant signal quality, and the retune picked up many channels I didn’t have before.

My problem is solved.

| Wed 9 Jun 2021 22:02:28 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.