My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

All BBC iPlayer users will require a TV licence.

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I wonder exactly how the Humax boxes will handle this...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/all-bbc-iplayer-users-will-require-tv-licence-1st-september

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 12:05:40 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would assume that they will handle it in the same way as TV manufactures. It not their problem.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 12:49:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I would assume that they will handle it in the same way as TV manufactures. It not their problem.

And what will that be? My post was not a slight at Humax. I am genuinely interested as to how it will be handled. For example, it would be a pain to have to key in your licence number every time you open iPlayer, and even this might not be possible on many TVs which support iPlayer. It looks to me to be a strategy with no tactics.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 13:02:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Elmojo

As RAPASSAC said it's not a manufactures problem. I don't think he took it as slight. Bare in mind that Humax boxes are used world wide so the BBC will have to sort it out. If they move the goal posts it is their problem. I guess you will now have to register an account with a valid license number before you can use the iPlayer. You would be better asking the BBC how they propose to manage it.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 15:14:24 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suspect it is just an enforcement issue and they will continue as present. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/
    i.e. unlicensed houses in the UK will receive letters reminding them of the law. This will be backed up with random checks as present.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 15:47:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

From reading up on this it appears it will be all devices e.g. mobile phones, tablets, PVRs etc. etc. the list appears endless, so yes I too was wondering how on earth this is going to be policed. Good to see the loophole finally being closed though.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 16:30:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Elmojo

That is going to be intersting. If a member of a house hold that has a TV license, for example a let room, uses a mobile device outside of that house things start to get grey. Policing such usage is at best vague. Especially if it is a let room where the room number is used as a part of the address. Infact, this is true as things stand now. There has never been a definitive explanation for such cases.
    It is very easy to change file date information on storage devices. How far do you go when policing stored information and if a device is passwosmrd protected to protect sensitive information you soon get into a complex can of worms.
    I am not so sure that loophole has closed. A family can have several devices each. How can the BBC hope to police this as they do know about all your devices.
    I think the only way would be to introduce an account based system for individuals. Not that, that is without problems too.

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 18:24:10 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

And people baulk at my suggestion to move from a licence fee to an arm's length general taxation method of funding. :/

| Wed 3 Aug 2016 22:10:31 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 18 hours ago  » 
    And people baulk at my suggestion to move from a licence fee to an arm's length general taxation method of funding. :/

To many people do not pay their taxes. What are your proposals to make sure the BBC receive their funding if we moved to this tyoe of revenue stream?

| Thu 4 Aug 2016 16:47:20 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Elmojo

This is the problem. It depends on whether the BBC lock the iPlayer with a user name and password system. If they don't then it's all just going to be the same as things are now. The cost of implementing all this is going to be high. Because a licence attached to an address dosent work anymore. People might baulk at gomez but it is the cheaper to manage option.

| Fri 5 Aug 2016 8:47:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.