My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

All SD channels missing - but they come back????

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

This has now happened twice.

On each of the past two evenings when I switched on my FVP-4000T at 7:45pm I only had HD channels. When I rotated through channels only the HD were there and the EPG only showed the HD channels. There were no SD channels.

However, I have a recording set to record the Vuelta between 7 and 8pm on ITV4, an SD channel. Amazingly, when I pressed OK I saw the red "1 recording" symbol, and when I went to recordings, it was recording the programme. But I still could not access ITV4 by rolling through the channels or by typing 24.

The Settings > Signal Strength showed that two tuners were being used, one for the HD multiplex and one for the ITV4 SD multiplex.

I then went to Recordings, selected the programme and chose View Now. I could see the programme. And when I changed channel, all the SD channels were now available.

The recording had worked properly and I could view it from the beginning.

I am very confused ...

| Thu 30 Aug 2018 21:38:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

As far as I can see, it seems to depend on which group is selected in the EPG. If it is 'HDTV', SD will seem to be completely missing. Change to 'TV' and they appear.

| Thu 30 Aug 2018 22:36:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JohnH77 - 55 minutes ago  » 
    This has now happened twice.
    On each of the past two evenings when I switched on my FVP-4000T at 7:45pm I only had HD channels. When I rotated through channels only the HD were there and the EPG only showed the HD channels. There were no SD channels.
    However, I have a recording set to record the Vuelta between 7 and 8pm on ITV4, an SD channel. Amazingly, when I pressed OK I saw the red "1 recording" symbol, and when I went to recordings, it was recording the programme. But I still could not access ITV4 by rolling through the channels or by typing 24.
    The Settings > Signal Strength showed that two tuners were being used, one for the HD multiplex and one for the ITV4 SD multiplex.
    I then went to Recordings, selected the programme and chose View Now. I could see the programme. And when I changed channel, all the SD channels were now available.
    The recording had worked properly and I could view it from the beginning.
    I am very confused ...

Is it possibly that someone had accidentally (or even intentionally) selected the HD group? The HD group is selectable along side any custom favourite group that you have setup.

| Thu 30 Aug 2018 22:37:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

A1944 - 1 hour ago  » 
    As far as I can see, it seems to depend on which group is selected in the EPG. If it is 'HDTV', SD will seem to be completely missing. Change to 'TV' and they appear.

Good thinking! I did not even realise that was possible. I have just gone EPG > +OPTION > CHANGE GROUP > HDTV and it replicated what happened.

I often use EPG > +OPTION > JUMP TO DATE so I can only think that I mistakenly rolled round to CHANGE GROUP and inadvertently selected HDTV though I have no recollection of having done so or seeing the option.

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is it possibly that someone had accidentally (or even intentionally) selected the HD group? The HD group is selectable along side any custom favourite group that you have setup.

I don't have any favourite groups set up and all my stations are as they were when I tuned. As I never use groups it never entered my mind that there are selectable in-built groups!

Many thanks to you both.

| Thu 30 Aug 2018 23:58:37 #4 |
  5. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

JohnH77 -
    I often use EPG > +OPTION > JUMP TO DATE so I can only think that I mistakenly rolled round to CHANGE GROUP and inadvertently selected HDTV though I have no recollection of having done so or seeing the option.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but you can JUMP TO DATE in the EPG with fewer button presses by pressing and holding right or left on the wheel, > to go to a future date or < to go to a past date.

| Fri 31 Aug 2018 13:14:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

It has happened again and I know I did not do it this time.

I'll try switching it on during the recording tonight and see it has does it again.

| Sat 1 Sep 2018 10:02:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago  » 
    It has happened again and I know I did not do it this time.
    I'll try switching it on during the recording tonight and see it has does it again.

When you switch to a different group are you following the FAQ on how to make it stick?

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-to-make-favourites-sticky-1

| Sat 1 Sep 2018 11:19:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Luke

Thanks - that was the problem. I would never have thought of that in a million years. I hate obscure Gotchas!

When I powered ON after reading your post it had gone back to HDTV again. I set it back to TV (for the fourth time) and then went to ITV4 (24) in the EPG. I pressed OK and then chose WATCH LIVE from the screen.

When I powered OFF and ON it had stuck to TV.

| Sat 1 Sep 2018 15:03:24 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have finally solved it.

I recently set the timer to bring the Humax on for a few minutes each day to ensure the EPG populates while I am away. I had set it to BBC1 HD and I chose OK.

What is not shown is that this automatically, without telling me, forced the HDTV group.

When I went back to check I Right-arrowed BBC1 HD and was given the TV/RADIO/HDTV group options and the HDTV was preset (blue). I set it back to TV and all is (so far) well.

This is an even more obscure Gotcha!

EDIT. I have not set up any Favourites group which is maybe why mine defaults to HDTV. See Stephanesque's post below ...

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 10:56:52 #9 |
  10. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I recently did the same as you to ensure that the EPG populates when I'm away.

I just checked mine after reading your post and find that when I right arrow it goes to my 'Favourites1' list.

I don't remember if I chose this when I set up the timer, or if it's what the Humax defaulted to, but for me it's a bonus that the box is back in my favourites list every day, even if I've watched something on a channel outside of that list the previous evening.

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 11:19:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.