My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Alternative Remote Control

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Stephenesque - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 49 minutes ago  » 
    The wife and I must be the only people who love the simplicity of seperate remotes.. .

Oh, I too prefer separate, dedicated remotes. Although I am trying out a Universal Remote at the moment I am using it exclusively to operate the FVP 4000T, to replace the RM-L03 which I have grown to loathe.
    Although I don't need to do so often, I shall continue to use the Samsung remote for my TV, the Sony for my DVD player and the Orbitsound remote for my soundbar.

Thank goodness there are more than two of us then. I know what you mean about some remotes being fiddly. We have just got the BT Youview+ box which although a Humax, BT have opted for a redesigned remote. They have grouped everything around a central navigation ring which for anyone with large hands is much to small. The upshot being that when trying to access some of the more important functions on the inner circle one inevitably hits the outer ring taking you out of what you are trying to do. Most annoying and poor design

| Wed 18 Jan 2017 9:46:26 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Stephenesque - 16 hours ago  » 

The wife and I must be the only people who love the simplicity of seperate remotes.. .

Oh, I too prefer separate, dedicated remotes. Although I am trying out a Universal Remote at the moment I am using it exclusively to operate the FVP 4000T, to replace the RM-L03 which I have grown to loathe.
    Although I don't need to do so often, I shall continue to use the Samsung remote for my TV, the Sony for my DVD player and the Orbitsound remote for my soundbar.

Good man. We should start a club - we could call it the 'separates society'. Mind you goodness only knows what replies we would get then.

| Wed 18 Jan 2017 17:23:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 

Thank goodness there are more than two of us then. I know what you mean about some remotes being fiddly. We have just got the BT Youview+ box which although a Humax, BT have opted for a redesigned remote. They have grouped everything around a central navigation ring which for anyone with large hands is much to small. The upshot being that when trying to access some of the more important functions on the inner circle one inevitably hits the outer ring taking you out of what you are trying to do. Most annoying and poor design

The middle ring of the remote for the mini BT youview box takes a little getting used to but the remote also works with the humax box and I find it vastly better to use than the supplied remote - it doesn't take multiple presses to get anything done. The only drawbacks are a lack of a direct to recordings button and not having a button that replicates the "+" on the humax remote, which luckily would usually I rarely use (saying that at the moment it's needed daily to delete a channel to get over the very much unfixed schedule bug).

| Wed 18 Jan 2017 19:08:26 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Stephenesque - 18 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Stephenesque - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for all the replies.
    The Logitech harmony looks great, but is probably overkill for my needs as for 95% of the time I only use the Humax remote with occasional use of the Samsung TV remote.
    I was originally thinking that one of the dedicated remotes made specifically for the FVP 4000T, i.e. the RM-Series or the Classic, would be more suitable for my needs and was wondering if anyone was using either of those. However, after mentioning my frustrations to my Dad he's just brought me an old One For All, the URC-7140 so I'm going to see how I get on with that.

There are much cheaper Harmony remotes that would meet your requirements.
    https://www.box.co.uk/Logitech_Harmony_350_Control_Wireless_Un_1741218.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnvfDBRCXrabLl6-6t-0BEiQAW4SRUBZkAZ_-_hhI1WDxjgHnci_mKwioYMN_4CXMYIpxHd4aApNX8P8HAQ

The remote I was considering is less than half the price of that, a mere £11.99, and would probably do everything I wanted it to.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/RM-Replacement-Control-FVP-4000T-MOCHA/dp/B01DVI67OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1484695253&sr=8-1&keywords=fvp+4000T+remote

Has anyone tried this one?

| Wed 18 Jan 2017 19:13:29 #14 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    The wife and I must be the only people who love the simplicity of seperate remotes.

The other thing with just one control, I don't think it's quick enough or performs the functions for the way I use my devices.

One remote has to be simpler than six. No faffing about putting one down and deciding which other of the collection needs picking up.

With my Harmony Elite have it set up to turn on the TV, AV amp and HDMI switch with one button press then another button press to turn on the PVR / device I am intending to use as the source - I could at this point have it automatically go to the media list. Perhaps the only thing I agree on is that I do not like having the PVRs turned on and off automatically as I switch activities so I have turned this feature off.

(that said I do still keep my older Harmony 555 to hand and set up to easily turn each PVR / device ON/OFF without the need to go into Device Mode on the Elite)

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 11:46:09 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have a very complex setup. In the lounge I have two Humax Freesat pvrs and two Humax Freeview+ pvrs, A Amazon Fire TV box, A CD player, A blueray player, cordless surround headhones all connected to a Yamaha AV receiver which also feeds HD to a remote kitchen TV using HD baluns. Plus a smart TV. In addition I have a IP connected Twin Tuner Freeview (VBox) server connected upstairs to my router (allows local viewing of Freeview on mobile devices and also can watch live TV and recordings anywhere in the world with decent WiFi).

Without the Harmony my better half would not have a clue how to use it.

As to response times (thanks to a Harmony Hub) it's very fast and you don't have to point the remote at anything as the room is blasted with ir.

If my wife want's to watch an item she presses one button, which turns on all the kit required. Selects the appropriate inputs on amplifier and TV. The buttons automatically control the correct kit. eg Media displays the recording list from the appropriate PVR, the volume control adjusts the amplifier. Want to use another device, press one button it turns off devices not required, turns on devices not already on. You can also use a mobile phone or tablet to control the system with a free app.

Just had a count of the remote controls you need to do it manually.

It comes to 8. Strikes me those with a plethora of remotes have never tried the convenience of a really good programmeable remote.

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 12:06:28 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

BlackGhost - 20 hours ago  » 

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 

The middle ring of the remote for the mini BT youview box takes a little getting used to but the remote also works with the humax box and I find it vastly better to use than the supplied remote - it doesn't take multiple presses to get anything done. The only drawbacks are a lack of a direct to recordings button and not having a button that replicates the "+" on the humax remote, which luckily would usually I rarely use (saying that at the moment it's needed daily to delete a channel to get over the very much unfixed schedule bug).

I'm actually the other way - I think the Humax supplied remotes (the ones with the clicky buttons) are great. https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/accessories/rm-i09u.html I did try to get the one I have for our 2000T to work with the Youview+ box but no luck. BT has apparently locked it down.

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 15:43:47 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz
    One remote has to be simpler than six. No faffing about putting one down and deciding which other of the collection needs picking up.
    With my Harmony Elite have it set up to turn on the TV, AV amp and HDMI switch with one button press then another button press to turn on the PVR / device I am intending to use as the source - I could at this point have it automatically go to the media list. Perhaps the only thing I agree on is that I do not like having the PVRs turned on and off automatically as I switch activities so I have turned this feature off.

I think you haven't understood what I am saying. I don't want multiple devices to be switched on at the same time as that is not how I use them. I want to start devices individually.

One remote really would not be as quick as me toggling HDMI inputs which are almost instant. I want to see all my recording or schedules from each PVR. Once I have them on screen I only need the TV remote to toggle the inputs from one PVR to the other whence we can then see the recording to decide what to watch. I don't want a single remote interfering with my Sonos setup either.

I have said before I got the Harmony and sent it back to Amazon within a couple of days - hated it plus the wife was giving me real grief about it.

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 15:54:45 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I hear what you are saying Graham but for the both of us having the one remote for all that sounds like hell. I did forget to add to the six remotes on the coffee table we also have four others in other rooms.

The wife hasn't a clue how to work what we have now. However, all she is interested in is her own personal Panasonic PVR. She knows how to switch on the TV in the lounge - Sonos preset to control the audio. She then knows how to use the DLNA media app on the SMART TV to access her HWT120 in another room in the house and play her recordings in the lounge - one happy wife.

All the other equipment is left to me. I have tried to show her how to use everything but she has no interest.

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 16:05:23 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

My local Tesco has/had? a 4 in 1 remote at half price £8.50, but this looked like a local clearance rather than national offer.

The OP was asking about an alternative to the "poorly laid out remote" and not something to control a spacestation

Many users have complained about the lack of range of the fvp4000t supplied remote. My gripe is the lack of a dedicated 'media' button which a universal remote will fix, plus I hate AAA batteries. One of the biggest jokes with the supplied remote is that it's touted as a universal, however the 'universal' 2 buttons doesn't make it universal in any stretch of my imagination.

Re. the Harmony, horses for courses, but vastly over priced when not bought in a sale/offer

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 16:18:14 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.