My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Alternative Remote Control

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You can't beat the old maxim of keep it simple.

| Thu 19 Jan 2017 17:36:36 #21 |
  2. Bargepower

Bargepower

grahamlthompson - 11 hours ago  » 
    Without the Harmony my better half would not have a clue how to use it.
    As to response times (thanks to a Harmony Hub) it's very fast and you don't have to point the remote at anything as the room is blasted with ir.
    If my wife want's to watch an item she presses one button, which turns on all the kit required. Selects the appropriate inputs on amplifier and TV. The buttons automatically control the correct kit. eg Media displays the recording list from the appropriate PVR, the volume control adjusts the amplifier. Want to use another device, press one button it turns off devices not required, turns on devices not already on. You can also use a mobile phone or tablet to control the system with a free app.
    Just had a count of the remote controls you need to do it manually.
    It comes to 8. Strikes me those with a plethora of remotes have never tried the convenience of a really good programmeable remote.

I totally agree - plus, if you have an Amazon Echo, you can control your devices with voice commands via IFTTT - so as I walk into my lounge, I just say "Alexa, trigger Humax" and on comes the TV, soundbar and FVP-4000T, so by the time I've reached my chair everything is ready to view, thanks to the Harmony Hub. And no problem with the sluggish OEM Humax remote! Not to mention that my lights and lamps go to my optimum settings for watching TV.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 0:10:15 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Bargepower - 14 hours ago  » 

As to response times (thanks to a Harmony Hub) it's very fast and you don't have to point the remote at anything as the room is blasted with ir.
    If my wife want's to watch an item she presses one button, which turns on all the kit required. Selects the appropriate inputs on amplifier and TV. The buttons automatically control the correct kit. eg Media displays the recording list from the appropriate PVR, the volume control adjusts the amplifier. Want to use another device, press one button it turns off devices not required, turns on devices not already on. You can also use a mobile phone or tablet to control the system with a free app.
    It comes to 8. Strikes me those with a plethora of remotes have never tried the convenience of a really good programmeable remote.

I totally agree - plus, if you have an Amazon Echo, you can control your devices with voice commands via IFTTT - so as I walk into my lounge, I just say "Alexa, trigger Humax" and on comes the TV, soundbar and FVP-4000T, so by the time I've reached my chair everything is ready to view, thanks to the Harmony Hub. And no problem with the sluggish OEM Humax remote! Not to mention that my lights and lamps go to my optimum settings for watching TV.

You must be worn out by the time you reach your chair.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 14:21:10 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Does your Echo like my Echo dot keep responding to the TV

The other day it started playing back Prime Music responding to something that was said on the TV.

As you have the Hub, do you have a Harmony remote as well. If so does your remote get out of synch if you turn on using the Hub ?

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 15:05:05 #24 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 

gomezz
    One remote has to be simpler than six. No faffing about putting one down and deciding which other of the collection needs picking up.
    With my Harmony Elite have it set up to turn on the TV, AV amp and HDMI switch with one button press then another button press to turn on the PVR / device I am intending to use as the source - I could at this point have it automatically go to the media list. Perhaps the only thing I agree on is that I do not like having the PVRs turned on and off automatically as I switch activities so I have turned this feature off.

I think you haven't understood what I am saying. I don't want multiple devices to be switched on at the same time as that is not how I use them. I want to start devices individually

Huh? I am agreeing with you on this point.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 16:40:21 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I'm sure most people have seen this already, but for those that haven't:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/amazon-echo-rogue-payment-warning-tv-show-causes-alexa-order/

I'm waiting for a pop group to release a single with the lyrics 'Alexa play this song again and again at full volume'
    Not that it'll bother the owner though as the previous lyric was 'Alexa tell Tesla to drive me off a cliff'
    The mind boggles, I'm glad my wife isn't called Alexa, that would cause confusion

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 16:40:33 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

damian - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I'm sure most people have seen this already, but for those that haven't:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/amazon-echo-rogue-payment-warning-tv-show-causes-alexa-order/
    I'm waiting for a pop group to release a single with the lyrics 'Alexa play this song again and again at full volume'
    Not that it'll bother the owner though as the previous lyric was 'Alexa tell Tesla to drive me off a cliff'
    The mind boggles, I'm glad my wife isn't called Alexa, that would cause confusion

You can change the wake up name.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 16:48:40 #27 |
  8. Bargepower

Bargepower

grahamlthompson - 1 week ago  » 

Does your Echo like my Echo dot keep responding to the TV
    The other day it started playing back Prime Music responding to something that was said on the TV.
    As you have the Hub, do you have a Harmony remote as well. If so does your remote get out of synch if you turn on using the Hub ?

The only time my Echo responded to the TV was when there was an item on about the Echo and the presenter said "Alexa"!

Yes, I have the Harmony Ultimate remote and if using the Echo to turn something on, then the hub automatically syncs the remote to the correct setting / item and you can use the remote as though you started the activity with it.

| Tue 31 Jan 2017 0:34:50 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

car3107

Am I right in assuming that the "info" button on the aftermarket fvp-4000t remote made by Classic won't actually do anything on a 4000t? And same for the PIP button, and the "skip ahead/skip back" buttons?

| Fri 24 Mar 2017 11:21:58 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

car3107 - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Am I right in assuming that the "info" button on the aftermarket fvp-4000t remote made by Classic won't actually do anything on a 4000t? And same for the PIP button, and the "skip ahead/skip back" buttons?

PIP definitely won't work. There isn't the video hardware to display two video sources at the same time. Be interesting to find out what single button remote commands the FVP4000T actually has, I might add one to my Harmony remote to check what Logitech reckon the command set is (I don't have the box).

| Fri 24 Mar 2017 12:15:49 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.