My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

antennae short circuit

(15 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Now try the reverse turn down the pvr volume to say 25% and adjust the TV volume again. Trying to ascertain if the problem is either

a) too loud and overloading the TV audio amp input stage

or

b) too quiet and requiring the TV volume to be way too loud (last test proved this not to be the case).

Still got a few possibilities in mind but one step at a time.

| Mon 11 Jul 2011 21:07:49 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Carol

Have turned the pvr volume down to 25% and tv volume up. The fuzziness is still there but the fuzziness is still there but a little bit better - you can actually hear the voices but not clearly.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 19:18:41 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you any other kit you can connect by scart to rule out the TV. If you have use the same scart socket and see if the sound is clear.

| Wed 13 Jul 2011 9:34:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kingimuk

Hi Graham

I saw your reply to the original post about turning OFF the antenna power.

My Father has a 9300T which works perfectly I believe (no sound issue) but he DOES reguarly get the 'antenna short' message on screen when box is first switched on.

I have asked him to switch the power off as you suggest and in a few days we will know if this has resolved it.

Now if this was a Satellite box I could understand a voltage being ghosted to the antenna cable to power the LNB, but these are Freeview boxes. Do you know why there is an antenna power option and why does it default to on? Is it simply for an aerial amplifier?

Thanks

IK

| Wed 28 Mar 2012 20:44:38 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Afaik it doesn't default to on. The option is there merely to provide DC power to an aerial with a built in amplifier or a seperate amplifier. It merely outputs a DC voltage which in the absence of an amplifier merely adds a DC offset to the rf signal (removed by the tuner or a isolated wallplate). Simple aerials with a loop (folded) bipole are a short circuit to DC anyway. Welcome to the forum from me

In this case he may have a errant whisker of screen in a badly fitted Belling Lee touching the core conductor. So in a way it's maybe found an intermittent fault.

Dad probably thinks the option somehow increases the signal in someway. A pretty common mishaprension.

| Wed 28 Mar 2012 21:07:04 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.