My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Apple TV +

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rolandsizzers

If their DRM reports non compatibility how have I just watched an episode of For All Mankind? Appears to only fail on some shows and then only partially? Surely DRM would simply stop me viewing with a certificate error, which I have only seen once for 30 mins and assume was a server error.

Ps have no real clue but hoping it will work on Aura at some point!

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 17:58:41 #51 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Rolandsizzers - 9 mins ago  » 
    If their DRM reports non compatibility how have I just watched an episode of For All Mankind? Appears to only fail on some shows and then only partially? Surely DRM would simply stop me viewing with a certificate error, which I have only seen once for 30 mins and assume was a server error.
    Ps have no real clue but hoping it will work on Aura at some point!

The Aura and my LG 4K TV both support HDR10 not Dolby vision. I think it's a buggy Android app, not a DRM issue. I can play any Film I bought on Apple TV app on the LG TV wether they are Dolby vision or not.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 18:14:31 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A5ian300zx

I don't think it is local drm but the app reporting back to apple servers which then check against I am guessing some sort of os and hardware verification. I had the same on my Sony a1 oled where a programme to two worked and then nothing. Check the apple originals content and see if that plays?

It would be nice if it worked.

You can look at the drm info of the box and other hardware info using the below apps.

Drm Info and aida64.

I still like the box and think the picture is fantastic compared to some others I have had in the past.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 18:19:18 #53 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

A5ian300zx - 15 hours ago  » 

Mars - 1 min ago  » 

A5ian300zx - 4 mins ago  » 
    It's apple's drm which the app will report back to apple servers.
    No, the box will not get dolby vision as it is licensed and the box and the SOC (chipset) are not capable.
    Apple will not approve this box as thier content is in dolby vision so they are quite strict on official apple tv apps. I think a lot of the newer TV's have the approved official app and now the nvidia shield. All other third party android boxes will not work 100%.
    In the future a modified version of the apple app might work, eg fooling the app in thinking its running on approved official hardware.
    My micro stutter issue seem to have gone away after a full power cycle.

Apple TV is available on Samsung TVs that do not support Dolby Vision.

That is interesting but samsung is also a major player so might have had separate agreement from apple as samsung does not support dolby vision on any of thier lineup and opted for hdr10+

HDR10 is the open source HDR format so no license to Dolby. I think The whole Dolbyvision discussion was a bit of a dead end; it was just suggested as a reason for the app not working. But although Apple movies support Dolby vision they don’t require it otherwise they would only play on a few high end TVs.
    Surely the Apple TV app is licensed or approved to run on Android devices. It’s not pirated. But it’s up to someone like Google or other developers (Humax refer to ‘their developers’) to make it work on the different versions of Android. Correct me if I’m wrong. But the Apple app just doesn’t work on Android very well if you look at the Google play store comments.

| Wed 23 Jun 2021 10:24:58 #54 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.