My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Apple TV +

(54 posts)
  1. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

ShaunIOW - 1 hour ago  » 
    Does it really matter if the Humax supports Dolby Vision or not? As films in the Apple Library can default to normal HD or even SD on none compatible devices, and films on Google Play play fine for example, The Meg which is 4k and Dolby Vison plays perfectly on the Humax using the Google Play app.

It matters if the Apple TV app does not work for many people on the Aura. I think the Dolby vision thing is a complete red herring. The Aura supports HDR10 which is a much wider used standard as far as I can see. The problem is that if you have bought a load of movies with Apple you do need to be able to see them on what you have. You might not want to buy them all again on google play. Can people read back on this strand to see what the we have been talking about, please.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 13:01:57 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

Paul Bton - 5 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 1 hour ago  » 
    Does it really matter if the Humax supports Dolby Vision or not? As films in the Apple Library can default to normal HD or even SD on none compatible devices, and films on Google Play play fine for example, The Meg which is 4k and Dolby Vison plays perfectly on the Humax using the Google Play app.

It matters if the Apple TV app does not work for many people on the Aura. I think the Dolby vision thing is a complete red herring. The Aura supports HDR10 which is a much wider used standard as far as I can see. The problem is that if you have bought a load of movies with Apple you do need to be able to see them on what you have. You might not want to buy them all again on google play. Can people read back on this strand to see what the we have been talking about, please.

I've already read the thread and posted in it before as I'm one of those who can't get the Apple app to work properly and play films/tv shows from my iTunes library, I was pointing out that it shouldn't matter if the Humax supports Dolby Vison or not as thats not the issue as the films should play anyway especially as a film with Dolby Vison on Google does play. Perhaps you should read back the thread as well?

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 13:11:08 #42 |
  3. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

SSThing - 3 hours ago  » 
    Humax don't make the app.

No but I have to go through Humax and they pass on to 'their developers'. I contacted Apple and they said I had to go to Humax. Presumably the app is not just made be Apple and shoved straight on the Aura, it has to be adapted for use on Android. I understand the Android Apple TV app is not available on some Android TVs too due to some issue. Has anyone got an Android TV with the Apple TV app working on it?

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 13:14:22 #43 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

ShaunIOW - 4 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 1 hour ago  » 

I've already read the thread and posted in it before as I'm one of those who can't get the Apple app to work properly and play films/tv shows from my iTunes library, I was pointing out that it shouldn't matter if the Humax supports Dolby Vison or not as thats not the issue as the films should play anyway especially as a film with Dolby Vison on Google does play. Perhaps you should read back the thread as well?

Touché. Perhaps I misunderstood your point. I thought you were dismissing the whole issue. Sorry. Humax helpline have given a very odd answer about Dolby Vision that I don't think is correct. It's nothing to do with Dolby vision.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 13:26:18 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

Paul Bton - 16 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 4 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 1 hour ago  » 

Touché. Perhaps I misunderstood your point. I thought you were dismissing the whole issue. Sorry. Humax helpline have given a very odd answer about Dolby Vision that I don't think is correct. It's nothing to do with Dolby vision.

No worries

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 13:42:55 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rolandsizzers

Further...

My LG 1080p tv doesn't support dolby vision. Today have borrowed an amazon firestick and plugged into usb port. Apple TV on this device works fine.

However my aura connected via hdmi still has pixellation issues or refuses to play some programmes. Can't see that it can be a dolby vision issue but an incompatibility between the app and the aura. Something in some playbacks doesn't play properly. Even those that do work often require a quick burst of fast forward/rewind to get any sound.

As Firestick is a Android device (am I correct?) and works flawlessly on my tv then this appears to be Aura specific and something to do with the way they interface android to their hardware? As we have different experiences on different tv's it could be how they encode the output? Ie my 1080p 60hz output appears problematic and some 4k outputs seem fine?

Hopefully humax can troubleshoot. Not a lot on apple tv but a few gems that I'd rather watch on my big tv than my ipad!

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 16:46:08 #46 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Rolandsizzers - 32 mins ago  » 
    Further...
    My LG 1080p tv doesn't support dolby vision. Today have borrowed an amazon firestick and plugged into usb port. Apple TV on this device works fine.
    However my aura connected via hdmi still has pixellation issues or refuses to play some programmes. Can't see that it can be a dolby vision issue but an incompatibility between the app and the aura. Something in some playbacks doesn't play properly. Even those that do work often require a quick burst of fast forward/rewind to get any sound.
    As Firestick is a Android device (am I correct?) and works flawlessly on my tv then this appears to be Aura specific and something to do with the way they interface android to their hardware? As we have different experiences on different tv's it could be how they encode the output? Ie my 1080p 60hz output appears problematic and some 4k outputs seem fine?
    Hopefully humax can troubleshoot. Not a lot on apple tv but a few gems that I'd rather watch on my big tv than my ipad!

Yes it’s definitely the app. I’ve just had a look at the reviews of the Android Apple TV app on Google play store and they are all pretty damning. So it is the Android version of the app in general that’s the problem. Humax say they can’t reproduce the problem on their Aura!
    I think I was getting version 2.2 of the Android Apple TV app as directed to by the Aura; but I see reviews for a version 3.1. How do you get that I wonder?

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 17:25:20 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

A5ian300zx

Also note that the humax like the nvidia shield tv is running android tv 9 with the new Google tv interface.

The latest android tv is 11 but the Google tv dongle use the newer version as well as some new android based TVs.

Edit Sorry I edited this thinking I double posted but now it has been removed, lucky someone quoted the previous post I wrote.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 17:44:35 #48 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

A5ian300zx - 4 mins ago  » 
    It's apple's drm which the app will report back to apple servers.
    No, the box will not get dolby vision as it is licensed and the box and the SOC (chipset) are not capable.
    Apple will not approve this box as thier content is in dolby vision so they are quite strict on official apple tv apps. I think a lot of the newer TV's have the approved official app and now the nvidia shield. All other third party android boxes will not work 100%.
    In the future a modified version of the apple app might work, eg fooling the app in thinking its running on approved official hardware.
    My micro stutter issue seem to have gone away after a full power cycle.

Apple TV is available on Samsung TVs that do not support Dolby Vision.

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 17:51:02 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

A5ian300zx

Mars - 1 min ago  » 

A5ian300zx - 4 mins ago  » 
    It's apple's drm which the app will report back to apple servers.
    No, the box will not get dolby vision as it is licensed and the box and the SOC (chipset) are not capable.
    Apple will not approve this box as thier content is in dolby vision so they are quite strict on official apple tv apps. I think a lot of the newer TV's have the approved official app and now the nvidia shield. All other third party android boxes will not work 100%.
    In the future a modified version of the apple app might work, eg fooling the app in thinking its running on approved official hardware.
    My micro stutter issue seem to have gone away after a full power cycle.

Apple TV is available on Samsung TVs that do not support Dolby Vision.

That is interesting but samsung is also a major player so might have had separate agreement from apple as samsung does not support dolby vision on any of thier lineup and opted for hdr10+

| Tue 22 Jun 2021 17:53:50 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.