Aspect Ratio Problems

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

brian - 4 hours ago  » 

Faust - 18 hours ago  » 

brian - 5 hours ago  » 
    I can never understand why some people want to watch programmes in the wrong format.

I could argue why you would want to buy a large screen TV then lose a good third of the real estate to black. I may as well have stuck to my old 4.3 CRT if that was how I wanted to view TV.
    At least on the Freesat boxes you have the option of Anamorphic.

I would have thought that most people who "buy a large screen TV" (presumably Wide Screen?), appreciate and enjoy watching TV programmes and Films, so why on earth would they want to ruin the viewing experience by viewing things in a format that they were never intended to be viewed in?

I actually posed this question at work today and although not scientific the results were interesting. As soon as I mentioned the issue people were shouting across the office how they hated it when the old programmes 'got shrunken' on their large screen TVs.

There are thirty people on our floor and every single one of them said they altered the format in one way or another to make them full screen.

Taken as a straw poll it appears Mr & Mrs Average don't like large black bars. As I said though, not scientific.

| Mon 16 Nov 2015 23:45:33 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigal02

Thanks Faust, that's exactly what I think. I find that having that much of the screen missing is far more distracting than the horrors of circles being elliptical, and people looking more squat than they are.

It also doesn't help that during commercial breaks, the screen reverts back to full size, as if to let you know what you're missing.

| Tue 17 Nov 2015 11:09:00 #12 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    If you have the same options as I do with my 2000T then in settings go to video> screen ratio> set to 4.3 and Display Format to auto.
    That will solve your problem though it is a faff and drives me nuts. As an alternative if you have a Panasonic TV (other TVs are available ) then select aspect ratio on the remote and 4.3 FULL. That also works.
    Obviously you will have to do the reverse for a modern 16.9 broadcast. Why Humax can't sort this out to be handled automatically e.g. like our Panasonic TV does is beyond me.

I don't see how you can blame Humax if you the operator decides to set up your box incorrectly. Surely common sense suggests that if you are feeding a 16:9 TV then you should set up the Humax, or any box, to output in 16:9 format. If you are not happy with the result then usually the TV has many aspect ratio options for you to get your desired result. If you are happy with short fat people then so be it but it is not the world as I know it.

| Tue 17 Nov 2015 12:00:33 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Biggles - 12 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    If you have the same options as I do with my 2000T then in settings go to video> screen ratio> set to 4.3 and Display Format to auto.
    That will solve your problem though it is a faff and drives me nuts. As an alternative if you have a Panasonic TV (other TVs are available ) then select aspect ratio on the remote and 4.3 FULL. That also works.
    Obviously you will have to do the reverse for a modern 16.9 broadcast. Why Humax can't sort this out to be handled automatically e.g. like our Panasonic TV does is beyond me.

I don't see how you can blame Humax if you the operator decides to set up your box incorrectly. Surely common sense suggests that if you are feeding a 16:9 TV then you should set up the Humax, or any box, to output in 16:9 format. If you are not happy with the result then usually the TV has many aspect ratio options for you to get your desired result. If you are happy with short fat people then so be it but it is not the world as I know it.

The HDR 1000s handles this situation by selecting anamorphic, my Panasonic equipment shows me full screen whatever I'm watching (automatically).

Only the Humax 2000T has this bizarre way of displaying media. As far as I can see it's yet another cost saving measure in an already stripped bare product.

I am pretty confident that I am in the majority (of ordinary folk) regarding this issue.

| Wed 18 Nov 2015 0:10:26 #14 |
  5. prking

prking

Faust - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 day ago  » 

The HDR 1000s handles this situation by selecting anamorphic, my Panasonic equipment shows me full screen whatever I'm watching (automatically).
    Only the Humax 2000T has this bizarre way of displaying media. As far as I can see it's yet another cost saving measure in an already stripped bare product.
    I am pretty confident that I am in the majority (of ordinary folk) regarding this issue.

I disagree, I only know one person who likes stretchyvision. A straw poll of my friends and colleagues reveals a preference for material to be shown in as close as possible to the original aspect ratio.

To force the screen to be filled means either adding in something to fill the space or lopping off the top and bottom.

So you most definitely do not speak for me. Using your logic I am confident that the vast majority of people don't care or prefer the original ratio.

| Wed 18 Nov 2015 8:45:39 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

prking - 15 hours ago  » 

Faust - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 day ago  » 

I disagree, I only know one person who likes stretchyvision. A straw poll of my friends and colleagues reveals a preference for material to be shown in as close as possible to the original aspect ratio.
    To force the screen to be filled means either adding in something to fill the space or lopping off the top and bottom.
    So you most definitely do not speak for me. Using your logic I am confident that the vast majority of people don't care or prefer the original ratio.

I note your comments but do not agree - speaking as Mr Average.

| Thu 19 Nov 2015 0:28:47 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 2 days ago  » 
    I actually posed this question at work today and although not scientific the results were interesting. As soon as I mentioned the issue people were shouting across the office how they hated it when the old programmes 'got shrunken' on their large screen TVs.
    There are thirty people on our floor and every single one of them said they altered the format in one way or another to make them full screen.
    Taken as a straw poll it appears Mr & Mrs Average don't like large black bars. As I said though, not scientific.

Interesting! I would never have imagined that an office like that exists.
    I've never worked in one where people shout across the office workplace, let alone where everyone has an interest in TV to the extent that would participate in any sort of conversation that included it unless they were cornered.

| Thu 19 Nov 2015 8:56:16 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 5 hours ago  » 

Faust - 2 days ago  » 

Interesting! I would never have imagined that an office like that exists.
    I've never worked in one where people shout across the office workplace, let alone where everyone has an interest in TV to the extent that would participate in any sort of conversation that included it unless they were cornered.

Glad I haven't worked in your office environment then. We discuss most topics under the sun and just about everyone has an opinion.

A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

| Thu 19 Nov 2015 14:45:20 #18 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 5 hours ago  » 
    Glad I haven't worked in your office environment then. We discuss most topics under the sun and just about everyone has an opinion.

Hope your boss isn't reading this or he'd realise productivity could be increased by stopping this chit-chat about the virtues of distorted TV pictures and everything else under the sun.

| Thu 19 Nov 2015 20:45:24 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Biggles - 16 hours ago  » 

Faust - 5 hours ago  » 

Hope your boss isn't reading this or he'd realise productivity could be increased by stopping this chit-chat about the virtues of distorted TV pictures and everything else under the sun.

Assuming said boss is a 'man' is a somewhat sexist remark don't you think?

| Fri 20 Nov 2015 13:04:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.