My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Aspect Ratio Problems

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigal02

I've just upgraded to theFVP4000T and I'm quite happy with it. However, quite a lot of the programmes are shown in 4:3 aspect ratio. I am watching in 16:9 before the programmes start, but as soon as it does start, the screen is cropped with black bands down the sides.

I've tried to alter the settings but nothing seems to work. Any help will be appreciated

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 12:13:35 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. The programmes will be 4:3, you can't show 4:3 full screen on a 16:9 display unless you distort the picture making people look short and fat and circles into ovals.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 17:15:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigal02

Hi Graham, thanks for that, but it looks that a lot of the programmes are broadcast in 4:3 ratio on my FVp4000T, where my HDR FOX T2 and Panasonic DVD recorder plays them in full screen.

On theFVP4000, Frasier on channel 4 and the Drama channel are 4:3. Other channels are in letterbox. I would just like the option to watch in full screen if I wished to do so, and decide which is more distracting, a distorted picture or the black bands on either side of the picture.

Best regards,

Allan

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 10:37:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigal02

I have just found the Zoom function on the + (plus) button which has sorted my dilemma.

Sorry to bother anyone who has read my messages of ineptitude.

Regards

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 10:42:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If you have the same options as I do with my 2000T then in settings go to video> screen ratio> set to 4.3 and Display Format to auto.

That will solve your problem though it is a faff and drives me nuts. As an alternative if you have a Panasonic TV (other TVs are available ) then select aspect ratio on the remote and 4.3 FULL. That also works.

Obviously you will have to do the reverse for a modern 16.9 broadcast. Why Humax can't sort this out to be handled automatically e.g. like our Panasonic TV does is beyond me.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 17:35:01 #5 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

I can never understand why some people want to watch programmes in the wrong format.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 18:29:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    If you have the same options as I do with my 2000T then in settings go to video> screen ratio> set to 4.3 and Display Format to auto.
    That will solve your problem though it is a faff and drives me nuts. As an alternative if you have a Panasonic TV (other TVs are available ) then select aspect ratio on the remote and 4.3 FULL. That also works.
    Obviously you will have to do the reverse for a modern 16.9 broadcast. Why Humax can't sort this out to be handled automatically e.g. like our Panasonic TV does is beyond me.

I think most HD TVs let you set how you want aspect dealt with, for each device. Mine does (Samsung)

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 18:45:38 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

brian - 44 minutes ago  » 
    I can never understand why some people want to watch programmes in the wrong format.

+1. At the very least it reduces the resolution of content that may well be poor quality in the first place.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 19:15:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

brian - 5 hours ago  » 

I could argue why you would want to buy a large screen TV then lose a good third of the real estate to black. I may as well have stuck to my old 4.3 CRT if that was how I wanted to view TV.

At least on the Freesat boxes you have the option of Anamorphic.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 23:54:37 #9 |
  10. brian

brian

special member

Faust - 18 hours ago  » 

brian - 5 hours ago  » 

I could argue why you would want to buy a large screen TV then lose a good third of the real estate to black. I may as well have stuck to my old 4.3 CRT if that was how I wanted to view TV.
    At least on the Freesat boxes you have the option of Anamorphic.

I would have thought that most people who "buy a large screen TV" (presumably Wide Screen?), appreciate and enjoy watching TV programmes and Films, so why on earth would they want to ruin the viewing experience by viewing things in a format that they were never intended to be viewed in?

| Mon 16 Nov 2015 18:45:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.