My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Aspect Ratio Problems

(25 posts)
  1. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Assuming said boss is a 'man' is a somewhat sexist remark don't you think?

Yes I suppose it is but it's the world I've always lived in so is the norm for me, bit like some people and distorted TV pictures.

| Fri 20 Nov 2015 13:15:43 #21 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

On a more serious note my previous flat wide screen CRT telly (Panasonic) had an aspect ratio setting that stretched 4:3 pictures more at the edges than in the middle. This was when most broadcasts were in 4:3 or 14:9 at best. This looked very strange with a profile head shot as the back of the head would grow if the head moved to the edge of the screen, I couldn't get used to that.

| Fri 20 Nov 2015 13:34:05 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Biggles - 4 hours ago  » 
    On a more serious note my previous flat wide screen CRT telly (Panasonic) had an aspect ratio setting that stretched 4:3 pictures more at the edges than in the middle. This was when most broadcasts were in 4:3 or 14:9 at best. This looked very strange with a profile head shot as the back of the head would grow if the head moved to the edge of the screen, I couldn't get used to that.

If I remember correctly the process is described as anamorphic (distorted in one direction but not the other).

The original HD transmissions were so described because they used 1440 x 1080 pixels. The pixel aspect ratio was not square but rectangular. On a Full HD screen you had to rescale horizontally only to create 1920 square pixels.

| Fri 20 Nov 2015 18:11:51 #23 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    If I remember correctly the process is described as anamorphic (distorted in one direction but not the other).
    The original HD transmissions were so described because they used 1440 x 1080 pixels. The pixel aspect ratio was not square but rectangular. On a Full HD screen you had to rescale horizontally only to create 1920 square pixels.

Not only that but non linearly distorted horizontally, stretching the picture more as you got closer to the edge.

| Fri 20 Nov 2015 22:37:22 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I always use Anamorphic setting on our 1000s (as do most other people I know with this box). Makes watching TV a much more pleasurable interaction. What a great pity our 2000T hasn't got the same option.

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 15:52:33 #25 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.