My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Download file size.

(33 posts)
  1. GordyBoy

GordyBoy

Over the last week I have downloaded several episodes of The Chase, Tipping Point and Countdown.

Since the Aura updatde I have downloaded at 5fps and each file is about 1Gb+ when downloaded; today the same programmes downloaded at over 2GB each. They are all transcoded HD. It can't be incorrect file size reporting as all the files took much longer to download.

What is going on?

| Mon 8 Feb 2021 20:43:41 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you look at the file details using Media Info the file is frame doubled. So you get a 50fps file.

If you do not need the subtitles and the audio description tracks you can make the file a lot smaller by removing the unwanted tracks using TSmuxer GUI.

You can then cut out the extra frames and upscale to 720p HD quality using Vidcoder with the shown settings,

All the above are free software

Attachments

1. Vidcoder_25_fps_setting.jpg (91.1 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Vidcoder_720p_Upscale_settings.jpg (65 KB, 1 downloads) 3 years old
    | Tue 9 Feb 2021 10:40:41 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you want to cut out the ads. The best and fastest mpeg editor out there is this one. It's not free though. It only recodes at cuts so it's lightning fast. It also has a streamfix option that can fix faulty mpeg streams,

https://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V6.html

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 10:50:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I'm just setting a couple of programmes to transcode, one from last night and a similar episode from a couple of weeks ago - will report back if there is any size difference. In the absence of any firmware updates over the last few days, I can't think of a good reason why a file should be bigger today than it would have been a few days ago unless you've turned on something or changed a setting on the Aura.

What did you mean by the 5fps Gordy? Did you mean 50fps?

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 11:51:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

No differences noted here - transcoded a couple of HD broadcasts of about 30mins length and both reduced from the HD encrypted file size of 1gb down to just over 500Mb after transcoding.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 12:17:23 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This is the Film The Proposal.

Downloading a Channel 4 film now

Attachments

1. The_proposal_downloaded.jpg (58.2 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Tue 9 Feb 2021 12:35:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Not sure you're helping to answer Gordy's question, Graham.

His point was that he is getting a difference between the transcoded file sizes a few days ago vs the transcoded file sizes today.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 12:57:46 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

File is 2.3GB and 50fps

Attachments

1. 2.3GB_50_fps_file.jpg (63.2 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Tue 9 Feb 2021 13:35:44 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 6 hours ago  » 
    Not sure you're helping to answer Gordy's question, Graham.
    His point was that he is getting a difference between the transcoded file sizes a few days ago vs the transcoded file sizes today.

I have being getting files that size from the last two software updates. Nothing has changed for me.

I have provided file details for HD recordings downloaded from both. In both cases the video content is twice as big simply because every frame is duplicated so there are twice as many frames as required for the original 25 fps content

I went to the trouble to download an untouched HD recording from scratch just in case anything has changed. It has not.

I can't understand why the OP can't post the same information. Without this how can anyone comment further ???

Perhaps you would like to choose a HD recording and do the same and help by posting the results you actually get.

Otherwise you are not helping in any way are you ?????

It's very simple in windows to find this info. Guess it's the same using a Apple Mac.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 19:49:43 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I might be teaching you to suck eggs.

You do realise that ignoring the complexities of mpeg compression your TV is showing you a series of still images slightly different. For 25 fps each one is shown for 1/25 second. For 50 fps each one is shown for for half as long for 1/50th second.

It works because of the human eyes persistance of vision. You cannot see the joins.

If the same image is shown twice from a 50fps stream you get a 1/25 second single frame. You cannot see the difference. The file though is twice as large.

This goes back to a long time to the first days of moving picture technology. Way ack to monochrome silent movies.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 21:09:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.