My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Download file size.

(33 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If gordyboy would provide details from the two recordings in question.

In windows explorer right click on a file. Choose properties and select the details tab it would save a lot of effort trying to explain the difference.

Perhaps he had software updates between the two downloads.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 21:45:47 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Yep, I know the tech details. But as you say my experience of download file sizes from the Aura is that nothing has changed recently so it would be helpful if the OP posted his details.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 22:52:02 #12 |
  3. GordyBoy

GordyBoy

Here you go. The properties of "The Chase" recorded and downloaded today at 2.25GB and "The Chase" from the 5th of this month at 0.98GB also recorded and downloaded on the date it was broadcast both from ITV HD channel transcoded by Aura and downloaded via WebControlIF. The only setting adjusted is on the Aura where I changed something from 2 to 5 I think it said fps but I changed this more than 5 days ago.

Could it be that the Aura didn't update the changes I made after the over the air update until I unplugged the Aura and plugged it in again after it froze a couple of days ago?

I don't have a complaint about the file size.The larger file looks superb on my Galaxy S7+ 5G Tablet and Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G phone

Attachments

1. Screenshot_(45).jpg (240.2 KB, 1 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Screenshot_(44).jpg (258.3 KB, 3 downloads) 3 years old
    | Wed 10 Feb 2021 22:55:43 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Aha, you've changed the bitrate. That explains everything!!

That's effectively the quality of the file, in theory a 5Mbps bitrate file should be visible higher quality than 2Mbps but it will be broadly 2.5 times bigger as a file.

I'd change it back to 2 if the quality was acceptable at 2. If not, then increased file size is the inevitable consequence; there simply more data in there.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 8:12:34 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GordyBoy - 11 hours ago  » 
    Here you go. The properties of "The Chase" recorded and downloaded today at 2.25GB and "The Chase" from the 5th of this month at 0.98GB also recorded and downloaded on the date it was broadcast both from ITV HD channel transcoded by Aura and downloaded via WebControlIF. The only setting adjusted is on the Aura where I changed something from 2 to 5 I think it said fps but I changed this more than 5 days ago.
    Could it be that the Aura didn't update the changes I made after the over the air update until I unplugged the Aura and plugged it in again after it froze a couple of days ago?
    I don't have a complaint about the file size.The larger file looks superb on my Galaxy S7+ 5G Tablet and Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G phone

You have the same as me. Double the number of frames it should have for 25fps.

Stripping out the duplicated frames will not make it look on worse on you Galaxy tablet.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 10:55:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

50fps is a misdirection though isn't it. The transcoder from the HD and SD broadcasts is configured to write a 50fps file. That's just the way the Aura is built. I agree of course that as the source (from SD anyway) is 25fps that transcoding to 50fps makes little sense (though encoders with duplicated frames often have very efficient coding to make sure that that the duplicated frames do not take up much space), but I can see why HD broadcasts in 1080p at 50fps are being transcoded into 50fps files.

But Gordy's problem is simlpy that he changed the bitrate. That explains why he's got bigger file sizes than he had previously, and for ease of use on his tablet the easy fix is to set that back to 2Mbps on the Aura and ignore the 50fps issue as there's little point in faffing about with reducing framerate just to achieve even smaller file sizes.

There's a separate point about the transcoder and perhaps having the option on the Aura itself to render 25fps files, but that's a feature request that ought to go into Humax.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 12:24:23 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

If file size isn't an issue of course, then leave it at 5Mbps.

Gordy might also be right about the change to the bitrate only taking effect after a reboot. Worth testing that.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 12:25:59 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

OK just had a quick play. I recorded Coast on BBC4 as a 6 minute programme to rapidly convert.

If you use the Web Controls IF page and go to "settings" there is a field called "Refresh rate" which should be set at 50000. I changed this to 25000.

I then transcoded the Coast file at both the 50000 setting and the 25000 setting. And guess what? With it set at 50000 the downloaded file had 50fps and when set at 25000 the downloaded file had 25fps.

So that's where you can make the change to the 25/50fps setting if that bothers you.

I should also add that the 50fps file was 110.0Mb in file size, the 25fps was 108.9Mb file size, so as expected there's very little difference from the duplicated frames.

I don't believe this setting is editable from the front end of the Aura though so it needs editing on the WebControlIF page.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 13:02:55 #18 |
  9. GordyBoy

GordyBoy

Might speed up the transcoding abit though.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 13:31:19 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 
    50fps is a misdirection though isn't it. The transcoder from the HD and SD broadcasts is configured to write a 50fps file. That's just the way the Aura is built. I agree of course that as the source (from SD anyway) is 25fps that transcoding to 50fps makes little sense (though encoders with duplicated frames often have very efficient coding to make sure that that the duplicated frames do not take up much space), but I can see why HD broadcasts in 1080p at 50fps are being transcoded into 50fps files.
    But Gordy's problem is simlpy that he changed the bitrate. That explains why he's got bigger file sizes than he had previously, and for ease of use on his tablet the easy fix is to set that back to 2Mbps on the Aura and ignore the 50fps issue as there's little point in faffing about with reducing framerate just to achieve even smaller file sizes.
    There's a separate point about the transcoder and perhaps having the option on the Aura itself to render 25fps files, but that's a feature request that ought to go into Humax.

There are no 50fps broadcasts. They are either 25fps interlaced. Interlaced transmits the signal in 2 parts sequentially Upper field first Lines 1 3 5 7 etc with the lower field next 2 4 6 8 etc. When combined in a digital TV frame store you get a single 1/25 second frame. Alternatively Freeview-HD can do 1080p25.

The whole frame is transmitted progressively also resulting in a 25fps broadcast.

As to the extra frame not taking up much space as it's a duplicate of the previous it takes exactly the same space as the others.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 13:47:08 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.