My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Ethernet connection left me totally confused

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My replacement Aura arrived yesterday as the original just couldn't for whatever reason maintain an Ethernet connection. There was clearly a fault possibly the Ethernet port or a fault on the Logic board as the replacement is working just fine. However there is still a quirk with the replacement which I simply can't get my head around.

When I go into settings and click on Network and Internet it states not connected then underneath is a long string of letters and symbols like a MAC adress plus the Aura's IP address. However, I can't work out what the long string is as it's not the WLAN, LAN, or Bluetooth Mac address of the machine. Anyone got any ideas? Apart from that the machine is connected as everything now works perfectly and my BT router shows the Aura as connected.

This is the string -
    Not connected
    fe80:::ec51:e53b:127d:3d47
    IP address xxxxxxxxxx
    fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:e95:283f:cb:19c2
    fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:4d3c:60f:a3d7:40cd

P.S. I'm running the Aura through a TP-Link unmanaged switch which in turn is connected to a hardwired dedicated network jack back to the router.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 11:44:35 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Are you using Windows or a MAC ?

This is what the Aura looks like in the Network Section of Windows File Explorer

Not a clue what this means other than it's a long number in Hexadecimal (base 15) format but :

https://en.ryte.com/wiki/Unique_Identifier#:~:text=Unique%20identifiers%20or%20UID's%20are,datasets%20within%20a%20computer%20network.

Attachments

1. Unique_Identifier.jpg (53.7 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 6 Feb 2021 11:51:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

This is the Aura in settings Graham, Network and Internet. I have edited my post and added the string minus the Aura"s IP address, not on my Mac. It's not the GUA Permanent as shown in the router settings either.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 12:06:19 #3 |
  4. Mars

Mars

special member

Faust - 35 mins ago  » 
    My replacement Aura arrived yesterday as the original just couldn't for whatever reason maintain an Ethernet connection. There was clearly a fault possibly the Ethernet port or a fault on the Logic board as the replacement is working just fine. However there is still a quirk with the replacement which I simply can't get my head around.
    When I go into settings and click on Network and Internet it states not connected then underneath is a long string of letters and symbols like a MAC adress plus the Aura's IP address. However, I can't work out what the long string is as it's not the WLAN, LAN, or Bluetooth Mac address of the machine. Anyone got any ideas? Apart from that the machine is connected as everything now works perfectly and my BT router shows the Aura as connected.
    This is the string -
    Not connected
    IP address xxxxxxxxxx
    P.S. I'm running the Aura through a TP-Link unmanaged switch which in turn is connected to a hardwired dedicated network jack back to the router.

They are IPv6 addresses!

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 12:20:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mars - 9 mins ago  » 

Faust - 35 mins ago  » 
    This is the string -
    Not connected
    IP address xxxxxxxxxx

They are IPv6 addresses!

Really, interesting. Why are they being shown as it's caused me total confusion as I'm thinking this new replacement is also faulty despite all indications to the contrary.

Ah! now on further interrogation of the router I have found that the first part of the string does indeed correspond to "Link Local Address" with the following Info - IPv6 is the most recent version of the protocol used to identify all the different devices on the internet.

If IPv6 is enabled, you'll see some extra information.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 12:32:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 21 mins ago  » 
    Really, interesting. Why are they being shown as it's caused me total confusion as I'm thinking this new replacement is also faulty despite all indications to the contrary.
    Ah! now on further interrogation of the router I have found that the first part of the string does indeed correspond to "Link Local Address" with the following Info - IPv6 is the most recent version of the protocol used to identify all the different devices on the internet.

If it bothers you, turn off IPv6 at the router but IPv6 is the future and at some point we are all going to have to embrace it. I wonder if the problem you were having with the original box was linked to the fact that your network is IPv6 enabled?

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 12:56:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 36 mins ago  » 

Faust - 21 mins ago  » 

If it bothers you, turn off IPv6 at the router but IPv6 is the future and at some point we are all going to have to embrace it. I wonder if the problem you were having with the original box was linked to the fact that your network is IPv6 enabled?

Yes I was wondering that too. The BT Smarthub is automatically enabled for IPV6 and it is active. I could disable it which may then clear the warning on the Aura. However, as you say IPV6 is the future and the fault appears to lay with the Aura's inability to use an IPV6 connection rather than a fault with the BT Smarthub.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 13:37:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Oops! double post

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 13:39:10 #8 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

What makes you think that the problem has anything to do with IPv6?

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 13:46:33 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mars - 28 mins ago  » 
    What makes you think that the problem has anything to do with IPv6?

I'm not convinced that the original issue was related to IPV6, it was a suggestion Martin proffered. It is something worth consideration i.e. was the original Aura trying to connect to an IPV6 address that it isn't possible for it to do or was it simply an Ethernet port fault or a Logic board fault. I have to confess in all the years I have been building computers I have never come across an Ethernet fault like the Aura exhibited.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 14:19:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.