My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura good bad or indifferent

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As title suggests how good bad or indifferent is the new Aura? I have read so many mixed reviews it's hard to get a feel for this product. One of the many criticisms appears to be the tuners with many users complaining of pixelation freezing and black screens. I was thinking of getting one to replace an aging Panasonic PVR.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 11:08:13 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The aura tuners seem to be very sensitive to high signal levels. Reducing the level using a variable attenuator works for me.

Latest software release seems to have fixed outstanding issues for me at least.

There are also reports from other kit that channel 4-HD users are reporting small picture glitches as well. Seen this on the Aura when no problems with the other HD channels. So that could be the issue.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 11:48:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Interesting response, thanks Graham. Would you say this product is as good as previous Humax products (whistles and bells apart) or not?

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 12:08:36 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 52 mins ago  » 
    Interesting response, thanks Graham. Would you say this product is as good as previous Humax products (whistles and bells apart) or not?

Yes - it's the fastest UI so far.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 13:01:52 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 18 mins ago  » 

Faust - 52 mins ago  » 

Yes - it's the fastest UI so far.

I would echo that.

Whilst testing a HDR T2 iplayer fix it brings home how slow some of the previous units are.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 13:22:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Just placed my order for the 2TB model, delivery is tomorrow so will update with my views once it's up and running. Trouble is I've been somewhat spoilt with SkyQ.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 13:35:17 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 28 mins ago  » 
    Just placed my order for the 2TB model, delivery is tomorrow so will update with my views once it's up and running. Trouble is I've been somewhat spoilt with SkyQ.

Think of the dosh you are saving

No doubt you will have loads of questions.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 14:04:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 8 mins ago  » 

Faust - 28 mins ago  » 

Think of the dosh you are saving
    No doubt you will have loads of questions.

Ha! not saving anything as this will be in another part of our property. Still keeping SkyQ.

| Thu 28 Jan 2021 14:13:56 #8 |
  9. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    As title suggests how good bad or indifferent is the new Aura? I have read so many mixed reviews it's hard to get a feel for this product. One of the many criticisms appears to be the tuners with many users complaining of pixelation freezing and black screens. I was thinking of getting one to replace an aging Panasonic PVR.

Overall probably a 7/10.

Biggest missing feature of all (For an all in one device) is no Netflix support. So if you want one device for everything, this isn’t it. If you don’t mind multiple devices, this does most things.

| Fri 29 Jan 2021 15:14:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As the Aura isn't being delivered until 20:00 hrs today, I thought I would take the highly unusual step of familiarising myself with the instruction manual Oh my, why is it that instruction manuals are such long winded and overly complicated affairs? The reality (probably) is that a few clicks on the remote will achieve what it takes a full page of instructions to explain. I quite literally nodded off after the first few pages.

Regarding Netflix it doesn't concern me that it's missing from the lineup. I have it on so many devices some of which allow me to watch it in beautiful Dolby Vision on an OLED panel.

| Fri 29 Jan 2021 15:53:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.