My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Google Assistant voice

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Is the Google Assistant dumb i.e. just on-screen information on the Aura or can it answer questions verbally like it does with my LG TV?

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 17:02:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 7 mins ago  » 
    Is the Google Assistant dumb i.e. just on-screen information on the Aura or can it answer questions verbally like it does with my LG TV?

It can answer questions but response is on screen just like saying OK google on android phones. It depends on what you ask. I just said to my phone. OK Google set an alarm for 1700 today. Response alarm set for 1700 today.

On Aura just asked what's 22 divide by 7. = 3.142 85714

I said change channel to BBC1 HD. It changed from ITV-HD to BBC1-HD.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 17:18:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

That's a bit poor isn't it. With our LG OLED Google answers the questions verbally. Pretty big omission by Humax IMHO.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 17:23:33 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 52 mins ago  » 
    That's a bit poor isn't it. With our LG OLED Google answers the questions verbally. Pretty big omission by Humax IMHO.

I wouldn't want the box to speak the answer. I can mess while the better half is watching a recording. There is no need for a verbal response if it's a command rather than a question.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 18:17:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 34 mins ago  » 

Faust - 52 mins ago  » 

I wouldn't want the box to speak the answer. I can mess while the better half is watching a recording. There is no need for a verbal response if it's a command rather than a question.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one Graham. Whilst I like my Alexa I do acknowledge that Google has the more comprehensive answers and a better understanding of vocabulary. It seems an omission by Humax not to have harnessed it's power somewhat better. Thank goodness for the LG.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 18:56:58 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 34 mins ago  » 

Faust - 52 mins ago  » 

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one Graham. Whilst I like my Alexa I do acknowledge that Google has the more comprehensive answers and a better understanding of vocabulary. It seems an omission by Humax not to have harnessed it's power somewhat better. Thank goodness for the LG.

I also have a LG Oled, The only voice command I ever use is Screen Off

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 21:13:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I use it lots as a repository for knowledge. I am constantly asking it things which Alexa often doesn't know the answer to. Screen off I've never used myself. I could get a small Google nest but it seems overkill when I already have Alexa and the OLED will do the same job.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 22:45:41 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

In "normal" Android settings there is an "Accessibility" page and in there are the controls for TTS, including the page to download and install the various voices.
    Perhaps the Aura does not come with voices pre-installed?

| Sun 7 Feb 2021 9:14:02 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

SSThing - 4 mins ago  » 
    In "normal" Android settings there is an "Accessibility" page and in there are the controls for TTS, including the page to download and install the various voices.
    Perhaps the Aura does not come with voices pre-installed?

I haven’t used an Android phone for a while now having migrated over to iOS, so I will take your word as correct. If true it does seem a shame though as now I have a fully working Aura I’m quite liking it. Certainly for me it’s Humax’s best effort to date.

| Sun 7 Feb 2021 9:22:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

What I am suggesting is that perhaps you need to go into the Aura settings and install the TTS voice data so that it can talk to you the same way as your TV?

| Sun 7 Feb 2021 9:45:40 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.