My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

AURA SSD upgrade

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Turnoaks

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

Has anyone upgraded an Aura HHD to SSD? I've got 500gb unit and would like to use a 2Tb SSD. Has anyone attempted this?

All replies welcome even if it's not a direct answer.

Cheers everyone.

Paul

| Sun 26 Feb 2023 12:25:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Turnoaks - 1 min ago  » 
    Has anyone upgraded an Aura HHD to SSD? I've got 500gb unit and would like to use a 2Tb SSD. Has anyone attempted this?

I don't recollect anybody reporting fitting an SSD to an Aura but they been fitted to other Humax PVRs. I see no reason why you can't fit an SSD but it will have a finite life governed by the Terrabytes written (TBW) parameter so a better quality drive with a higher TBW will last longer. You should be aware though that the only real gain from an SSD will be lack of noise; a conventional hard drive has more than adequate performance for PVR usage.

| Sun 26 Feb 2023 12:33:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Turnoaks

Hi Martin.

One of the main reasons for the upgrade is I've got a few SSDs that I'm going to remove from a NAS. The power saving is the bigger plus for me in a PVR. I'm presuming only data is stored on the drives in an Aura and not settings or firmware?

| Sun 26 Feb 2023 12:41:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Turnoaks - 3 hours ago  » 
    The power saving is the bigger plus for me in a PVR. I'm presuming only data is stored on the drives in an Aura and not settings or firmware?

I hadn't thought about power saving. I must admit whilst my Aura is under warranty I haven't opened it to see what is on the hard drive but I think it is safe to say the firmware will be in flash on the motherboard and very probably the settings. Please let us know how you get on and what make and model of hard drive is fitted to your Aura.

| Sun 26 Feb 2023 16:26:13 #4 |
  5. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Here are some internal Aura Photos.

Attachments

1. s-l1600.jpg (307.7 KB, 17 downloads) 1 year old
    2. s-l1600_(2).jpg (284.1 KB, 12 downloads) 1 year old
    3. s-l1600_(1).jpg (297.9 KB, 18 downloads) 1 year old
    | Mon 27 Feb 2023 12:03:14 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.