My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

BBC iplayer not working

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

The 176mbps and 74mbps are the speed of your internal network, between your router and the device not the download speed from your isp.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 13:55:21 #11 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

mrbutt89 - 51 minutes ago  » I'll leave it on the slower, stronger network and see how it goes.

Poorer WiFi signal strength = slower speeds. How are you measuring the WiFi speed?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 14:07:04 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hi SSThing. Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm aware that I'm talking about the internal network speed, which I thought was what Graham meant. Maybe I was wrong there. The download speed to the router is 35 Mbps, which I would think is plenty. I should probably run a download test on my phone in the vicinity of the Humax and TV and see what Internet speed I'm actually getting there.

In answer to Graham's last post, both the Humax and the TV found and logged onto the 5 GHz network OK when we first got our new faster hub. I've got the hub set up so that we can manually choose which of the two frequencies to use. That way I can be sure which devices are on the 5 GHz and which are on the 2.4 GHz.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 14:12:35 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Trev - 9 minutes ago  » 

mrbutt89 - 51 minutes ago  » I'll leave it on the slower, stronger network and see how it goes.

Poorer WiFi signal strength = slower speeds. How are you measuring the WiFi speed?

I checked the WiFi speed from my phone's WiFi settings screen. I'll do a proper Internet download speed test (via the WiFi network, in the area where the Humax is) over the next couple of days and post the results.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 14:18:12 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrbutt89 - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Hello again. Well, I've done a few checks. The speed on our 5 GHz WiFi network is 176 Mbps, but I've noticed that although the signal strength shows as "Excellent" on my phone, the signal strength as reported on the Humax is 1 dot and 1 bar on the graphic. So I've swapped the Humax over to the 2.4 GHz network, with a speed of 74 Mbps, and it's now showing full signal strength. A quick (20 minute) test with one iPlayer programme has been fine, so perhaps it was just a signal strength issue rather than the speed. I'll leave it on the slower, stronger network and see how it goes.
    If the problem persists, I can run a test with a cable, but I'll wait and see how it goes over the next few days.
    Thanks for your help, which I think has pointed me in a helpful, albeit slightly unexpected, direction!

The signal strength greatly affects the speed. If it's weak the router has to constantly repeat data packets. Take your laptop into your garden and check the speed.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 14:39:34 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

The speed at the box's location is 34 Mbps. There's no appreciable difference in speed between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, so I'll leave it on the 2.4 GHz, which is much stronger. I'll feed back in a few days' time to let you know if my problem is solved.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 16:11:07 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.