My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

BBC IPlayer UHD Programmes Defaulting to 1080p

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveLloyd

Hi all I set up my new Aura yesterday and everything is working great apart from BBC Iplayer. I’ve set the HDMI resolution to Auto and Dynamic Refresh Rate to High (as I think Freeview channels look better in 1080 on my Sony XF900 UHD TV. By setting to this refresh rate Amazon and YouTube are displaying content at the native resolution which is great and the UHD pictures from these apps are really good and I get the freeview channels at 1080 resolution which also looks good. However, if I play any of the UHD test content on BBC IPlayer the video starts off as UHD but then auto switches and down scales to 1080 resolution. The only way I can find to solve this is to change the HDMI Resolution from auto to one of the UHD resolutions or to leave the HDMI resolution on Auto but change dynamic refresh rate to Low but then the freeview channels are in 3860 resolution rather than 1080. This only seems to cause an issue with the IPlayer. Has anybody had similar issues and what is the recommended HDMI resolution / Dynamic Refresh rate to use for best overall picture settings ?

| Wed 5 May 2021 9:28:49 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveLloyd

Think I have managed to solve my own problem with this. When I went into the Audio/Video Options via the S/AD button on the remote when playing a UHD video on IPlayer “Auto Resolution Switch” was enabled for “Freeview Webview” so I pressed the blue button to disable it and now when I access IPlayer it no longer is switching to 1080 resolution. So basically Freeview channels switch to 1080 which is what I wanted but IPlayer UHD stays in 2160p and plays the UHD video correctly.

| Fri 7 May 2021 11:34:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

Thank you for the update, I will check this on my set up also as I appear to have similar issues.

| Wed 12 May 2021 8:01:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Strange. When I watch uhd content on iPlayer it correctly displays HLG top right of screen and is in the correct resolution. The option freeview webview is enabled. Maybe it is also tv dependent?

| Wed 12 May 2021 10:02:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveLloyd

As you say very strange but could be issue with TV as you suggest though odd that Amazon and YouTube both display UHD HDR/HLG fine with resolution switch enabled and it was only IPlayer where I had the issue. As indicated in my earlier post I can get round this by either setting HDMI resolution to one of the UHD resolutions or leave on Auto with Dynamic Switch to High but with Resolution switch disabled for Freeview webview when in IPlayer. If I do that then my Sony TV displays the UHD IPlayer videos in HLG HDR fine so at least I have a work around so not a big issue.

| Wed 12 May 2021 13:35:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Is it anything to do with using standard iPlayer or Beta, perhaps?

| Wed 12 May 2021 15:19:39 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveLloyd

No I had the same thing in standard and beta versions.. though in beta version the UHD Football video judders whereas the planet earth test video in standard plays absolutely fine.

| Wed 12 May 2021 15:34:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I also have a Sony TV and had to turn the freeview webview off to get it to output 4k to the TV.

| Thu 13 May 2021 13:53:27 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.