My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

BBC One News accurate recording problems

(41 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    P.S. I have emailed the BBC for an explanation - awaiting a response.

There was a post over on hummy.tv a few days ago from someone who had received an answer from the BBC saying that they had implemented a new playout system but there was a technical issue that was preventing accurate recording from working and they were trying to resolve the problem. It sounds plausible but if true, it is disappointing that the issue wasn't found during testing.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 0:45:31 #31 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I was finding that AR had started kicking in 30 seconds early on BBC recordings but now it is kicking in 30 seconds too late. How hard can it be to put it back on the BBC ident as it was before? Don't want to watch the blurb for upcoming programmes and certainly irritating to keep turning to my tablet to watch the first few seconds of each programme on iPlayer to make sure I have not missed anything crucial.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 12:06:28 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Les28

I found this BBC response on another site regarding this issue date Sunday 18 Feb 2018.

"I forwarded your correspondence to our investigation team who have asked that I pass on the following:

We are currently experiencing some issues preventing accurate recording.

You are correct in that the 'Start' and 'Stop' codes are applied to the broadcast by the BBC.

However, for the time being we would suggest using your manual timer [as recordings will start and stop based on the time of the program rather than the recording start/stop moving with variances in the schedule. This is linked to the changeover to a new play out system, and engineers are working to resolve an issue in the system, which currently prevents accurate recording."

We hope this information helps to clarify the situation and once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us."

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 13:47:40 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Hmm! so to sum up, the BBC has decided to unleash a new buggy, unfinished product on the viewing public which it will then try to fix after the event - cracking.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 15:08:49 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

My impression is that things are getting better but not perfect yet. My main metric is the news on BBC One at 1 o'clock followed by the regional news. Today the main news started correctly and the regional news finished correctly but the transition from main news to regional news was still wrong by about 3 minutes where before these problems it was usually within a few seconds of the actual transition.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 15:21:42 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Hope BBC get this fixed soon - very annoying

| Thu 8 Mar 2018 15:04:37 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larsson

Bought my FVP 5000T last July and have just started getting this annoying issue now in the last week. Just affecting BBC channels losing about the first 5 minutes of recordings.

Has anyone else had this recently? Also wondering if it is a coincidence that it is almost exactly a year since this thread was last active, or if this is the time of year that the BBC make their changes?

| Fri 1 Mar 2019 23:18:16 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I can even go one better. Wednesday lunchtime Daily Politics Live BBC2 started to record (at the correct point for once) then stopped recording 2 minutes later?

Thank goodness for the green button.

| Fri 1 Mar 2019 23:52:30 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

larsson

My previous hard disk recorder, a Sony, lasted about 12 years and it was just an appliance to me. Until it eventually packed up I never had to do anything other than just use it.

Since getting the Humax last year it's been a real eye opener. I'm having to go on forums on a regular basis to look for solutions to problems (eg the on demand functionality telling me "it is not available try later" or all the recordings seeming to disappear). This is not what I want to have to do, I just expect the thing to work like my last one did (although I accept the broadcaster could be playing a part in this instance).

| Sat 2 Mar 2019 0:13:08 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 
    I can even go one better. Wednesday lunchtime Daily Politics Live BBC2 started to record (at the correct point for once) then stopped recording 2 minutes later?
    Thank goodness for the green button.

I can confirm that all the recordings from BBC1 HD on my setup (5000T) have started 5 minutes late - since Tuesday this week I believe. Other channels OK (I think)

| Sat 2 Mar 2019 9:18:30 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.