My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Calling all 1100 owners...

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alfie25

Sorry for going on like a broken record but I'm really surprised you can't hear anything. Are you saying yours are totally silent? Even the user guide (in Troubleshooting section) says that the fan can hum, which would obviously indicate that it has a fan!
    For comparison, I have a Goodmans freeview recorder - this makes what I'd describe as a normal noise for a recorder - just like a laptop.

| Tue 25 Aug 2015 15:58:20 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Alfie25 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies. As I say, I do have really good hearing (and am the right side of 40!) so I appreciate I may have more sensitive hearing than some people, but again, I'm used to the hum of laptops/PCs and they don't bother me.
    Fedman you may be onto something with it being the power supply. When the unit is in standby it is silent.
    Reffub - how would you describe the noise from your 1000s - is it just the usual computer fan hum/rumble?
    Anyway... I have since returned the unit for a refund. I didn't want to exchange as I thought it was the fan to blame and presumed the ones in the shop would all be from same batch. So I plan to buy another one in the coming weeks (hopefully from a different batch) and give it a try.

Yes just normal HDD noise, very quiet, quieter than my laptop and nothing at all high pitched, my 1000s does have a fan but I've never heard it or found it running. I'm the wrong side of 40 but I think my hearing is still pretty good.

| Tue 25 Aug 2015 17:46:42 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Alfie25 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Sorry for going on like a broken record but I'm really surprised you can't hear anything. Are you saying yours are totally silent? Even the user guide (in Troubleshooting section) says that the fan can hum, which would obviously indicate that it has a fan!
    For comparison, I have a Goodmans freeview recorder - this makes what I'd describe as a normal noise for a recorder - just like a laptop.

The user guide was written quite some time back, well before this unit was conceived. Your experience is unusual.

| Tue 25 Aug 2015 18:10:57 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Just remembered that my blu-ray started making a horrible high pitched noise if left in standby, dodgy capacitor maybe. I now make sure I switch it off at the plug as the noise is annoying and I wouldn't want it getting any worse.

| Wed 26 Aug 2015 10:06:52 #14 |
  5. woodz

woodz

I only hear the hard drive spinning up on mine when it's out standby mode. Other than nothing at all.

| Wed 26 Aug 2015 19:42:47 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alfie25

Found this old thread regarding an older Humax, but the poster describes my noise exactly...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=512998

A whistling/whine from I believe the hard-disk - I think this MUST be a clear faulty unit. Its not LOUD but it's SOLID and NOTICABLE and the sort of piercing whistle that as you turn your head through 180 degrees comes and goes at reproducable points of compass.

Although I'm pretty sure a lot of older folks wouldn't hear a thing. Such a subjective thing is noise.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 8:36:54 #16 |
  7. woodz

woodz

I suppose it could be a hard drive... how loud is this whistle?
    Is it the sort of noise you get from some Amps for example?

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 10:28:50 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If I get real close to my wife I can hear her breathing but like a PVR it's not something I do as a matter of course.

Now if you want to hear noise try the 2000T for bumping platter noise, it's quite rhythmic.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 14:22:46 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alfie25

LOL, if you could hear your missus wheezing away from the other side of the room I hope you'd be concerned!

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 14:48:13 #19 |
  10. hairbear

hairbear

fedman1 is probably very close to the mark. PSU inductors can make a very annoying whistling noise. Some can hear it, some can't. It's such a high frequency that for those that can hear it it can be very distracting.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 17:22:00 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.