My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Can any members remember needing to prove they had

(8 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Prior to to 2016 and a change in the law. Can any members remember having to sign a form at a retailers before buying kit that had the capability to receive live BBC content including a PC sold with a usb freeview or other DVB-T plug in tuner.

| Wed 28 Aug 2019 22:08:35 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

No, never. Despite buying at least one TV, two PVRs and two DVD recorders since 2000.

Presumably you are talking about some kind of TV licence check.

| Wed 28 Aug 2019 23:21:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Yes.
    I can't be certain of the year (2000-2006?) but I tried to buy a Freeview box from Aldi and was asked to sign a form at the checkout. I refused as it wasn't for me and I was not allowed to buy it.

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 7:05:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Yes. About 5 years ago I was helping a relative to buy a new TV in Sainsbury's and they insisted on him filling in a form (that I had never come across before) about TV licensing.

I don't think I ever had to complete a form for any TV or PVR I purchased prior to 2016 (but they would have been mainly on-line purchases).

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 8:38:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Yes, when buying a Humax Freesat recorder from Argos about 5 years ago, I wasn,t asked to sign anything but was asked if I had a television license as it was law to have one.

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 14:18:31 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

I wasn't asked to fill a form but was asked for address with postcode when buying receiving equipment which included TV's and PVR's and subsequently received letters from TV licensing as the information the shops entered was never full enough to match up with my TV licence.

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 18:09:43 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Thanks to all - I was told in another place that this never happened. In my case it was when purchasing a Medion Laptop from Aldi which came with a free DVB-T Freeview usb tuner. Without the form being completed they would not sell it.

It was prompted by a post about Amazon Prime now showing some live sports content which presumably needs a TV licence. When I pointed out that most any kit you can get amazon prime on you would need a TV licence anyway and pointing out that at the time many of us bought our kit you had to prove you had a licence anyway, no one believed me.

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 18:27:20 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 
    Prior to to 2016 and a change in the law. Can any members remember having to sign a form at a retailers before buying kit that had the capability to receive live BBC content including a PC sold with a usb freeview or other DVB-T plug in tuner.

My experience of something similar was the afternoon of 2nd November 2013 in a Curry's branch when purchasing an HDR-2000T. I don't recall actually signing a form but they did request personal details saying that they were required to pass the details to TV Licencing. I can't recall why I thought at the time that it was a genuine request, and not some tactic to get more details for marketing purposes, so possibly there was a form involved.

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 8:17:10 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.