My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Can I stream iPhone to Humax?

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hickeyb

Hi guys, just wondered if there a way to stream video from my iPhone to Humax 1010s in the same way I can stream it to an AppleTV box?

Thanks

| Sun 11 Sep 2016 18:41:55 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our forum.

I think the chances of this are next to zero.

Fistly Apple devices are so locked down that you can only use another Apple device to interchange content.

The 1010S basically can't stream live video other than via it's built in streaming apps. EG You can stream Youtube, but only by using a compatible app to transfer the mobile device playlist to a G2 Freesat box. The streaming is actually handled by the Freesat box.

Basically the 1010S can only stream physical files that.

1 Are not DRM protected (or encrypted). Both are alien to Apple devices.

2 Are in a format that the 1010s has the capability to decode the digital compression codec used for both video and audio. (Virtually everything you can do on a Apple device has to be via Itunes (and you have pay inflated rates for non standard interconnects).

| Sun 11 Sep 2016 19:57:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hickeyb

Thanks for the info. I thought this would be the case. It's still a great box,

| Sun 11 Sep 2016 20:11:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Am I missing something because:

I use an HDMI cable to my TV from iPhone 6s or iPhone X or iPad, or android 8.1 or Macbook or PC or any browser and then to Humax 1000s via HDMI and all works fine.

Prime Video also does not have any issues but NowTV does not like to display when connecting and external display via the HDMI cable.

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 15:52:18 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

evanp - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Am I missing something because:
    I use an HDMI cable to my TV from iPhone 6s or iPhone X or iPad, or android 8.1 or Macbook or PC or any browser and then to Humax 1000s via HDMI and all works fine.
    Prime Video also does not have any issues but NowTV does not like to display when connecting and external display via the HDMI cable.

Other than possibly for audio (arc -audio return channel and a network connection on newer kit)), a hdmi cable is a one way video cable from a source to a display. Your Phone is a source your TV is a display. The Humax is a source the hdmi port is out only.

Part of the HDCP handshake test in addition to checking the display destination can handle the audio and video the box will not output if the destination confirms it's a recording device.

Of course the 1000S works fine the connection from your phone to the TV is entirely seperate. You select which hdmi input is sent to the screen by selecting which port you want to watch.

eg

My laptop has a hdmi port, it cant' be used as a monitor (display). The same applies to your phone.

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 16:12:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

The TV with HDMI works with all the devices that I mentioned.

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 16:18:46 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

evanp - 36 seconds ago  » 
    The TV with HDMI works with all the devices that I mentioned.

Of course it does. However you aren't sending any video data from your phone to the Humax only to the TV. If you were how could you see it the Humax has only 1 HDMI port and it's output only ?

The NOW TV app is deliberately crippled not to send NOW TV by HDMI to your TV.

There would be absolutely no point in connecting a source to a HUMAX pvr HDMI port. They can only record from the built in tuners.

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 16:23:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Well, you have not read my answer correctly. I never said that I connected the phone to Humax.

But the point is that you can connect an iPhone or Android phone or any device that uses HDMI to a TV and you do not have to go through Humax. As a matter of fact this can be done via many different cables. Effectively the TV is the display of the media that has accepted input from Humax and another HDMI that connects other devices like iPhone.

As far as:
    "Fistly Apple devices are so locked down that you can only use another Apple device to interchange content." I am not sure what you mean because I can exchange files and content with Apple devices and any other PC, Linux, Windows Server it does not seem to hove any limitation.

Apple devices are some of the most open...I have never have come to a situation that I cannot open a file with an iPhone, iPad or Mac. While in most other devices based in Linux or Windows I cannot open for example Apple files.

In addition I am pointing out that apps Like NowTV cannot be viewed via HDMI to a TV not because of Apple but because of the app. It seems that you repeat what I said....

I just do not get your points....

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 1:52:52 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

evanp - 8 hours ago  » 
    Well, you have not read my answer correctly. I never said that I connected the phone to Humax.
    But the point is that you can connect an iPhone or Android phone or any device that uses HDMI to a TV and you do not have to go through Humax. As a matter of fact this can be done via many different cables. Effectively the TV is the display of the media that has accepted input from Humax and another HDMI that connects other devices like iPhone.
    As far as:
    "Fistly Apple devices are so locked down that you can only use another Apple device to interchange content." I am not sure what you mean because I can exchange files and content with Apple devices and any other PC, Linux, Windows Server it does not seem to hove any limitation.
    Apple devices are some of the most open...I have never have come to a situation that I cannot open a file with an iPhone, iPad or Mac. While in most other devices based in Linux or Windows I cannot open for example Apple files.
    In addition I am pointing out that apps Like NowTV cannot be viewed via HDMI to a TV not because of Apple but because of the app. It seems that you repeat what I said....
    I just do not get your points....

The title of this thread is can I stream iphone to Humax, the answer is no. You may be able to stream a physical file which exists on the phone because the Humax G2 boxes have a DLNA client. You can transfer a youtube stream from a phone to the Humax G2 boxes, but the Humax itself is handling the video stream it's not coming via the phone at all. In all cases the HDMI connection's only involvement is displaying the Humax boxes own output on a display.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:01:44 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

I am sorry you are bringing the most correct answer after so much fuss. You could be helpful by telling the person that Humax in the future might include an interface that can do this from other devices like iphone. Currently is not available in HUMAX but you do not have to do this via HUMAX.

There is nothing new done connecting with an HDMI cable or some adapter to your TV if it is not already capable in doing so. It is done in millions or billions of TV/Displays. You can just tell him you do not have to use HUMAX for this.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:29:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.