My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

"Cannot change channel while recording..."

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sh2811

Hi.
    Have had several Humax boxes and still run more than one HDR-2000T so I'm quite familiar with their 'features'/'quirks'/bugs.

I've had this a few times... "cannot change the channel while recording or live streaming". Last night I had some missed recordings as apparently they had clashed with other recordings. I don't think that was the real issue. I was still getting the error when nothing was recording. I checked the signal test page in the menu and it only showed that tuner 1 was 'Live', the other two tuners were not running (so no recordings active). I could switch to BBC 1 HD but got the 'cannot change the channel...' message when I tried to switch to BBC 1 SD (and presumably would have received the same message trying to switch to other channels). So the box seemed to think it was recording something or streaming. I was only watching live TV.

The only way to free up the channels was to turn the power off and restart it.
    Has anyone had this before? I have seen it before and it does start to mess with multiple recordings as the box fails to record everything as it seems to lose access to all three tuners. Not sure if this a hardware or firmware issue. I don't think it is operator error!

I'm tuned to the Oxford transmitter and only ever do manual tunes.

Also, has anyone managed to figure out ways of accessing HD recordings yet like with the 2000T, Fox T2 and Foxsat boxes etc?

Many thanks for any help.

| Thu 9 Jun 2022 11:56:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sh2811

P.S. I'm posting about an Aura box not HDR-2000Ts in case that wasn't clear!

| Thu 9 Jun 2022 11:57:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

sh2811 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Has anyone had this before? I have seen it before and it does start to mess with multiple recordings as the box fails to record everything as it seems to lose access to all three tuners. Not sure if this a hardware or firmware issue. I don't think it is operator error!

I haven't seen that error and I don't remember it being reported here previously. IF you have only seen it once then I would assume it is a Humax quirk.

Also, has anyone managed to figure out ways of accessing HD recordings yet like with the 2000T, Fox T2 and Foxsat boxes etc?

Please don't ask the same question twice in different threads.

| Thu 9 Jun 2022 15:16:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi sh2811,

I agree with martin Liddle as above. Appreciate how frustrating problem is. It must have happened to all of us at some point. Not sure how long you have had your HDR-2000T, but only a guess. This is what I normally do, other than a factory reset etc. Seems like a bug in the firmware, but might be worth doing a full retune.

Full proceedure UNPLUG aerial feed from the pvr, retune channels to clear memory in tuner (could be a bug/confused etc!) your pvr will have no channels, hopefully fix the error, then replug aerial feed & retune again. See if this resolves your issue. Don't forget to note down your schedules before doing this as your pvr will lose the data.

Just a wild guess, could be partly firmware bug + also depending on which multiplex channels you are viewing might "confuse" pvr's tuner into thinking you are recording/viewing too many channels. When was the last time your pvr updated channels? Could be connected with recent channel changes going on depending in your region. The pvr's tuner firmware might just need "refreshing" as above.

**What do you think Martin?**
    Please let forum know how you get on. Hope you solve your problem. John L

| Thu 9 Jun 2022 17:01:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

sh2811

Hi. Thanks for responding.

Apologies for asking the same question in two threads... brain wasn't engaged.

So this 'feature' hasn't been mentioned before? I have had it on a few occasions and have had to turn it off and on to clear the problem. It isn't just a one off.

John - it is an Aura box not a 2000T (my 2000s have been pretty quirk-free to be fair!).
    I did a factory reset a few days ago because of this problem as I spotted several missed recordings. The box seems to make three attempts to record and then gives up so it leaves three failed recordings in the list. I think they have all been when I have been trying to record three if not four things at once..

I must admit I have never been one for pulling the aerial lead before a re-tune but do delete all the channels first and then only ever do manual tunings.
    I live on the edge of two transmitters, Mendip and Oxford. I tune to Oxford as that is the direction my aerial points (Mendip is almost 180 degrees from Oxford). Signal strength and quality are normally stable, 100% quality and at least 60% strength. The Aura seems to report lower strength than the HDR-2000Ts, an 1800T and my original 9200 & 9300.

I did actually ring Humax about this one (I gave up asking them years ago). They asked me to monitor it basically despite me saying I have seen it several times.

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 1:01:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Quote : "I must admit I have never been one for pulling the aerial lead before a re-tune but do delete all the channels first and then only ever do manual tunings".

Hi there,
    This has been discussed in the past and was recommended by biggles, another forum user. Also always advised on Youview forum that I contribute to regularly. Worth a try(!) Often solves tuner issues, especially when using 2 transmitters. Often can occasionally bring up errors, we take the series link for granted, but it's not perfect. Same idea can be used on Aura, 2000, FoxT2 pvrs. The choice is yours, but might fix your problem. John L

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 12:21:40 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jdlfreetime - 19 hours ago <a href="https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/cannot-change-channel-while-recording-
    Full proceedure UNPLUG aerial feed from the pvr, retune channels to clear memory in tuner (could be a bug/confused etc!)

The tuning data isn't stored in the tuner; it is held in a sqlite database. I think retuning without an aerial and deleting all channels will both produce exactly the same results. Biggles FAQ on retuning https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/week-old-9300t-and-epg-wont-fill-up-for-week#post-7097 suggests deleting all channels.

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 12:29:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Martin Liddle - 3 hours ago  » 

I think retuning without an aerial and deleting all channels will both produce exactly the same results. Biggles FAQ on retuning https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/week-old-9300t-and-epg-wont-fill-up-for-week#post-7097 suggests deleting all channels.
    It depends on the model and, I think, software version. One of the software versions on one of the Humax models auto-retune function would only delete the previous tuning if it found anything on an auto-retune.

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 15:54:24 #8 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

jdlfreetime - 4 hours ago  » 
    Quote : "I must admit I have never been one for pulling the aerial lead before a re-tune but do delete all the channels first and then only ever do manual tunings".
    Hi there,
    This has been discussed in the past and was recommended by biggles, another forum user. Also always advised on Youview forum that I contribute to regularly. Worth a try(!) Often solves tuner issues, especially when using 2 transmitters. Often can occasionally bring up errors, we take the series link for granted, but it's not perfect. Same idea can be used on Aura, 2000, FoxT2 pvrs. The choice is yours, but might fix your problem. John L

I have never recommended removing the aerial and doing a re-tune to clear stored channels because on the Humax boxes I have access to (early models) it simply does not work even though the method was banded around the forums back in the day. I pointed this out many times back then but it went in one forum ear and out the other so I gave up. I always thought it very clever of Humax software that if you did a re-tune and found no channels, ie without an aerial, you were not presented with the 'save' option and your current channels were kept. I don't know if this is the case with models later than the 9300 but using the menu to delete previously stored channel (if that option is available on later boxes) is by far the more civilised way to do the job.

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 17:29:25 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

It depends on the model and, I think, software version. One of the software versions on one of the Humax models auto-retune function would only delete the previous tuning if it found anything on an auto-retune.

Luke that is interesting; I don't suppose you can remember which Humax models this applies to?

| Fri 10 Jun 2022 18:37:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.