My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Cannot Verify Postcode

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

My Foxsat HDR been working fine for a decade but i wanted to move it upstairs. My dish has 4 LNB cables so i disconnected the 2 downstairs cables and connected the 2 upstairs cables which i don't think i've ever used before. Anyway, some of the stations did not work so i decided to do a 'freesat tune', but as soon as i selected it i got "verifying your postcode" and i could see my (correct) postcode behind the notice. Unfortunately, the machine hangs there and all i can do is switch off.

I thought perhaps there might be an LNB problem so i reconnected the hummy downstairs but i now get the message that no stations are available. When i try to do a freesat tune i get exactly the same result as upstairs.

I would try a factory reset, but i presume i'd lose all my recordings? I am also using the hacked firmware which is brilliant for archiving recordings, but i am also worried that i would lose that with a factory reset and have to reinstall it all over again, which i would very much like to avoid.

Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

| Thu 19 Sep 2019 15:06:28 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A factory reset will not delete your recordings, just the recording schedule and it will reset any changes to settings you may have made. A reset will not remove the custom firmware. Check the f connectors are firmly screwed onto the coax and check carefully for a whisker of screen shorting the screen to the core conductor.

The postcode check requires the box to contact the freesat home transponder and download a temporary postcode allocation data table to the box. Without this access you can't get any further.

What happens if you choose manual tune and scan the first transponder on the list ?

| Thu 19 Sep 2019 16:25:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

Hi - thanks so much for the reply - i've been rather busy - but i tried to search the first transponder under manual tune (10714H22000 5/6)and i got "no channels found".

Would a reset be a good idea?

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 14:25:29 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

autolycus - 5 hours ago  » 
    Hi - thanks so much for the reply - i've been rather busy - but i tried to search the first transponder under manual tune (10714H22000 5/6)and i got "no channels found".
    Would a reset be a good idea?

Suggests either a lnb failure or a issue with the coax cabling.

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 19:31:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

It just seems inconsistent with the fact that i disconnected it from the downstairs cables - where it had worked perfectly for so long - and then reconnected it after trying it unsuccessfully upstairs.

Also, in the interim, i connected one of the downstairs cables directly to my TV satellite input and the TV scanned hundreds of channels in with no problem at all.

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 20:30:06 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

autolycus - 13 mins ago  » 
    It just seems inconsistent with the fact that i disconnected it from the downstairs cables - where it had worked perfectly for so long - and then reconnected it after trying it unsuccessfully upstairs.
    Also, in the interim, i connected one of the downstairs cables directly to my TV satellite input and the TV scanned hundreds of channels in with no problem at all.

Did you try the second cable with the TV ? And also found hundreds of channels ? I take it you are using manual tune to scan for Free To Air channels ?

The box relies only on the cable connected to tuner 1 in on setup. If you connected the other cable to the TV.

If a working cable is connected to tuner 1 in and the 2nd cable is faulty, it assumes a short patch cable is connected to tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in. Only if both cables have a signal will the box be setup in dual cable mode.

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 20:43:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

I have now! TV satellite channels work perfectly on either of the downstairs cables.

But if i connect the old terminal 2 cable into terminal 1 on the humax it seems to boot up and work properly. If i connect the old terminal 1 cable back to terminal 1, i get the no channels problem. Weird. It suggests a problem with cable 1 but it works on the TV??

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 20:50:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

autolycus - 1 min ago  » 
    I have now! TV satellite channels work perfectly on either of the downstairs cables.

What do you mean by works perfectly ? If the box or the lnb has a fault you will find you get lots of channels.

While viewing start from the top of the list press opt+ note channel polarisation H or V. Press down channel to select the next transponder. Repeat do you find any with H as the polarisation.

Using this the lowest channel numbers will be Horizontal from 10714 H.

The down will move you to 10773 H.

The channels you should see are here.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Do you get the following channels.

Channel 4
    E4 + 1
    More4 + 1
    Film4

Or do you get

ITV
    ITV2
    ITV4
    ITVBe
    ITV4+1
    CITV
    ITV London
    ITV Granada
    ITV Anglia East
    ITV Central West

If only the latter your dish is providing only vertically polarised channels. As the Freesat home transponder is Horizontally polarised you will not be able to verify your postcode.

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 20:57:48 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

Sorry, i'm trying to follow your advice and try different things and i'm now rather confused. But i have edited my post above - does this suggest anything?

Edit - i get the C4 etc on the TV.

| Sat 21 Sep 2019 21:05:40 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

autolycus - 5 mins ago  » 
    Sorry, i'm trying to follow your advice and try different things and i'm now rather confused. But i have edited my post above - does this suggest anything?
    Edit - i get the C4 etc on the TV.

Try the suggestions on my edited post.

Pressing down on the channel will give you 10758 V which has the following channels

ITV
    ITV2
    ITV4
    ITVBe
    ITV4+1
    CITV
    ITV London
    ITV London
    ITV Granada
    ITV Anglia East
    ITV Central West

Pressing down again should get you 10773 H and the following channels