My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Can't recover backed up SD recordings

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewclark55

Hi
    After a number of issues (some mentioned on this Forum) Humax has just replaced my box.
    I backed up the recordings on the old box using FTP with FileZilla to copy over the network to my PC. That worked fine.
    However they won't copy back to the new box. Every single one of the 118 files gives an error, even though I can connect to the box and see any new recordings on it. An example is:-

Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,39,197,39).
    Command: STOR New_ Gotham_ Wrath Of The Villains_20160509_2200.ts
    Response: 550 New_ Gotham_ Wrath Of The Villains_20160509_2200.ts: Operation not permitted
    Error: Critical file transfer error

I have tried all the available server settings on the box, including setting the FTP Server to On but to no avail.

What is going wrong here? Humax support told me it should be possible to recover the SD recordings (most are in SD) but not the HD due to encryption. They suggested I try a USB stick but that just displays a prompt to run the videos and then they won't play anyway due to the video format.

Any help appreciated!
    Regards
    Andrew

| Sat 25 Jun 2016 21:05:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Have you converted them to something like mp4? That's what I do for playing on a different device. Don't forget you are not playing them back on the box they were recorded on.

| Sat 25 Jun 2016 22:56:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

andrewclark55 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    I backed up the recordings on the old box using FTP with FileZilla to copy over the network to my PC. That worked fine.

All recordings, HD, sd and radio, are encrypted when made. The SD and radio recordings are sometimes decrypted on export e.g. expoting via USB or exporting via SAMBA from the "My Contents" folder.
    Have you checked whether any of the FTP exported .ts files play on your PC using something like VLC of MPC-HC?

For some background on previos decsusions around this see
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/ftpsamba/page/3
    and page 5 of
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/drive-not-visible-on-pc/page/5

andrewclark55 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    What is going wrong here? Humax support told me it should be possible to recover the SD recordings (most are in SD) but not the HD due to encryption. They suggested I try a USB stick but that just displays a prompt to run the videos and then they won't play anyway due to the video format.

If the .ts files don't play on your PC using VLC or MPC-HC (you only need try one of those) then it is NOT possible to recover.
    That they can't play from a USB drive connected to your replacement FVP-4000T with a format issue suggests that they are still encrypted, but have ago with VLC or MPC-HC and the .ts files just to make sure.

| Sun 26 Jun 2016 8:54:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewclark55

Faust/Luke

Thanks for responding.

No, I did not convert them. Nobody at Humax told me that I had to do that. They seem to be in a proprietary format with .htm, .nts and .ts extensions for each recording, and sometimes an additional .hjtsm file as well. The .ts is identified by Windows 7 as "MPEG-2 TS Video" but VLC won't play it and it crashes Windows Media Player.

Luke

Reading the threads you sent the links to I can see that I have little chance now of recovering our recordings since the old box has gone back to Humax. From Windows 7 I did not see a "My Contents" folder. If I had known about that I would have used a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks guys for your input.

Regards
    Andrew

| Sun 26 Jun 2016 12:23:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Use something like Handbrake and you will be watching them by the time you have finished a brew. I have done lots and never had issues - that's from the Humax 2000T but the format appears the same.

| Sun 26 Jun 2016 14:57:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    Use something like Handbrake and you will be watching them by the time you have finished a brew. I have done lots and never had issues - that's from the Humax 2000T but the format appears the same.

He copied them off the box with FTP. If you do that on HDR-2000T then the recordings will still be encrypted (and I assume the same is true for the FVP 4000T based on comments from owners) and Handbrake will do nothing so please stop talking nonsense.

| Sun 26 Jun 2016 16:04:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewclark55

Martin is right. I just tried Handbrake and it doesn't handle encrypted video.

| Sun 26 Jun 2016 16:57:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 19 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

He copied them off the box with FTP. If you do that on HDR-2000T then the recordings will still be encrypted (and I assume the same is true for the FVP 4000T based on comments from owners) and Handbrake will do nothing so please stop talking nonsense.

How rude you are Martin - I clearly hadn't picked up on that, my mistake. However, manners don't appear to be your strong point - sadly.

I have never used FTP always relying on USB instead -comprendi?

| Mon 27 Jun 2016 11:47:00 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    How rude you are Martin - I clearly hadn't picked up on that, my mistake. ?

I am not rude, I am direct. Arrogant propagation of your view point appears to be what you do best. Your advice was useless because you hadn't bothered to read what had been written.

| Mon 27 Jun 2016 17:55:45 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    How rude you are Martin - I clearly hadn't picked up on that, my mistake. ?

I am not rude, I am direct. Arrogant propagation of your view point appears to be what you do best. Your advice was useless because you hadn't bothered to read what had been written.

Yes I've heard a lot of people claim they are direct as a weak excuse for rudeness.

An argument doesn't improve for repeating it, you have my point.

| Mon 27 Jun 2016 20:00:13 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.