My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

CEC Not Working Consistently on 5000T

(14 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Briefly my set-up is a Panasonic Viera TV (HDMI2/ARC) linked to a Yamaha AMP on the output with the 5000T connected to the Yamaha on HDMI2. Other connections are an Xbox on HDMI1 and a Freesat 1000S on HDMI3.

When the 5000T (with CEC enabled) is switched on it powers on the TV via CEC and then the TV powers on the AMP using ARC. This works fine during the day but every morning the TV fails to switch-on via CEC so it has to be done manually from the TV control, after that if you standby the TV the AMP and 5000T switch off and powering on the 5000T switches on the TV and AMP.

I have made various changes to the AMP/TV set-up to try and fix this overnight problem but no success.

The only thing I can think of is if the overnight housekeeping on the 5000T is doing somthing to stop CEC working.

The Freesat 1000S box always worked without any issues so I'm fairly convinced the issue is with the 5000T.

I know CEC and ARC can be a bit flakey but any suggestions appreciated.

| Fri 9 Mar 2018 14:14:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299

Even with cec turned off in the settings, it is still hit and miss. This adapter worked for me.

| Fri 9 Mar 2018 17:25:13 #2 |
  3. davidrew

davidrew

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299
    Even with cec turned off in the settings, it is still hit and miss. This adapter worked for me.

Thanks, but I don't want to block CEC I am trying to understand why it works as expected during the day, after the TV is turned on manually first thing, then stops working after everything has been left on standby overnight.

I have also tried the 5000T in both power modes overnight and this made no difference.

| Fri 9 Mar 2018 18:30:09 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 9 minutes ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

Thanks, but I don't want to block CEC I am trying to understand why it works as expected during the day, after the TV is turned on manually first thing, then stops working after everything has been left on standby overnight.
    I have also tried the 5000T in both power modes overnight and this made no difference.

Guessing it's something that overnight housekeeping does to the box. As an experiment try pulling the power overnight to the box, to see if it still does it.

| Fri 9 Mar 2018 18:41:44 #4 |
  5. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

Guessing it's something that overnight housekeeping does to the box. As an experiment try pulling the power overnight to the box, to see if it still does it.

Graham,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the CEC power-on at 2330 last night and it worked fine after it had been on standby for around 3 hours. I shutdown all the devices via CEC by putting the TV in standby then powered off the 5000T at the wall.

This morning at 0650 I repowered the 5000T at the wall, left it for 5 minutes then powered it on from standby from the remote and the CEC worked fine switching on the TV and then the AMP.

The box must have some logic that only initiates a CEC signal when the remote or power button on top is used, otherwise it would be turning on external equipment when recording in standby or the timed on/off function is used. I wonder if the overnight housekeeping does something similar to block CEC but leaves it messed up after?

| Sun 11 Mar 2018 21:53:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 18 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

Graham,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the CEC power-on at 2330 last night and it worked fine after it had been on standby for around 3 hours. I shutdown all the devices via CEC by putting the TV in standby then powered off the 5000T at the wall.
    This morning at 0650 I repowered the 5000T at the wall, left it for 5 minutes then powered it on from standby from the remote and the CEC worked fine switching on the TV and then the AMP.
    The box must have some logic that only initiates a CEC signal when the remote or power button on top is used, otherwise it would be turning on external equipment when recording in standby or the timed on/off function is used. I wonder if the overnight housekeeping does something similar to block CEC but leaves it messed up after?

Try setting a power on timer at 07:00 on BBC1-HD Volume 20, and a power off timer at 07:15 and post if this makes any difference.

It does appear that there is a bug somewhere in the logic.

I don't use CEC it has major problems when you connect via a AV Receiver like turning off the receiver when you turn off the TV when all you want to do is listen to the radio.

A Harmony remote selects the correct inputs according to what device you want to use.

| Sun 11 Mar 2018 22:18:39 #6 |
  7. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago Try setting a power on timer at 07:00 on BBC1-HD Volume 20, and a power off timer at 07:15 and post if this makes any difference.
    I don't use CEC it has major problems when you connect via a AV Receiver like turning off the receiver when you turn off the TV when all you want to do is listen to the radio.
    A Harmony remote selects the correct inputs according to what device you want to use.

As suggested I have set a power-on and off timer but for 05:00 to 05:15 as the box is usually in use at 07:00.

Out of interest what time does the housekeeping job run and what tasks does it undertake?

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 16:19:27 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

davidrew - 3 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago Try setting a power on timer at 07:00 on BBC1-HD Volume 20, and a power off timer at 07:15 and post if this makes any difference.

As suggested I have set a power-on and off timer but for 05:00 to 05:15 as the box is usually in use at 07:00.
    Out of interest what time does the housekeeping job run and what tasks does it undertake?

I suspect it may be 03:00 GMT or 03:00 BST/GMT based upon other products.

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 20:12:22 #8 |
  9. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I've done some more experimenting and the results are as follows:

The on/off timer from 05:00 to 05:15 makes no difference and it has been tried in both power standby modes.

This one is more interesting. If you power the unit on in the morning from standby and just leave it, around 13 minutes later the TV and AMP switch on. This would explain why it then works for the rest of the day, something eventually wakes the CEC up and it stays enabled.

I'm going to increase the timer to a 20 minute duration at 05:00 next as this would encompass the 13 minutes better than 15.

| Fri 16 Mar 2018 11:04:05 #9 |
  10. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Changing the on/off timer to 20 minutes duration made no difference.

With Power Saving Mode off, after switch on from standby via the remote this morning the TV/AMP switched on via CEC after 11 minutes 40 seconds. As expected the CEC on/off is now immediate.

Over to Humax for a fix.

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:10:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.