My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Changing and adding transponders to a satellite

(47 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Devonian

Just one more query, you can transfer non-freesat channels to freesat so that 5000 up are available in freesat mode and this appears to be the best way to operate. With my lash up in the UK I don't have diseqc and I am manually moving the dish to pick up 19.2 or freesat. When you transfer the channels from non freesat to freesat does this carry the diseqc information across so that tuning to 5000 up in freesat mode will send the right diseqc control to the dishes?

For carrying recordings from freeview to Spain I have now bought a 1TB portable disk and formatted it with Linux Ext3 so that I can use HD over 4GB.
    I change the Freeview HD recordings to ac3 audio with ffmpeg and transfer them to the the disk using AV2HDR and EXT2volume manager, all under windows. If anyone wants more info on this please ask.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 10:02:38 #41 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Devonian - 1 hour ago  » 
    Just one more query, you can transfer non-freesat channels to freesat so that 5000 up are available in freesat mode and this appears to be the best way to operate. With my lash up in the UK I don't have diseqc and I am manually moving the dish to pick up 19.2 or freesat. When you transfer the channels from non freesat to freesat does this carry the diseqc information across so that tuning to 5000 up in freesat mode will send the right diseqc control to the dishes?
    For carrying recordings from freeview to Spain I have now bought a 1TB portable disk and formatted it with Linux Ext3 so that I can use HD over 4GB.
    I change the Freeview HD recordings to ac3 audio with ffmpeg and transfer them to the the disk using AV2HDR and EXT2volume manager, all under windows. If anyone wants more info on this please ask.

You can only do that if you have the custom firmware and it's associated channel manager plug in. Assuming you have the CF, then yes the correct lnb will be auto selected for the non freesat channels.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 11:24:53 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

You also need to note the type of modulation as there DVB-S and DVB-S2, and you must change the modulation. DVB-S is the default. Furthermore, if the transponder is DVB-S2, you also must set the modulation (8PSK) and the FEC, in addition to the symbol rate. In DVB-S it works it out itself.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 14:28:50 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

The other cool aspect of the custom firmware is that it will make th Humax appear part of your network, and you can then access its hard disk directly from any computer on the network. You can then copy files directly using Windows file manager, or use FTP. This is more convenient than using USB devices and has no size limitation. Sadly I found it can be rather slow for very large files. One program is fine, don't copy the entire disk. Then I would suggest to use a caddy and remove the HD temporarily.

I am not sure why the network speed of the Humax is so slow, perhaps there is something in the code to slow it down so that it does no impact on the performance of the TV part?

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 14:34:28 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

Dear Devonian

Just one query. Can you clarify what you mean by "With my lash up in the UK I don't have diseqc and I am manually moving the dish to pick up 19.2 or freesat." as FreeSat is carried on 19.2 and there is no need to move the dish or have separate transponders.

In my case we wanted to receive both FreeSat and TurkSat, so we have 2 transponders on the one dish and use DISEQC to switch. Once the Humax is configured it will switch automatically once you chose the channel.

So my sequence was to add each transponder for TurkSat to a user defined satellite and do the search. Dicovered channels were added at 5001 and up.

Then performing the FreeSat tuning options configures the FreeSat channels in range 100-999, at which point all the other channels disappear from the guide and cannot be selected by by keying the channel number. However, if you use the Custom firmware channel editor you can change all the non FreeSat channels to FreeSat and they will then appear on the EPG and you can select them.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 14:42:21 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Devonian

Thanks to you both. The selection of DVBS or S2 is taken care of by my August USB receiver on a windows laptop which is dedicated to Freeview. I use MediaPortal as PVR. My main computer is a desktop with four HDs which I use for my video camera editing with the Sony editor plus my e-mail etc. The formatting to Ext3 was done on this computer.

19.2 carries the French and German European Astra1 channels plus Sky News international (which is the UK Sky News with fewer ads.) and a few English speaking channels but no Freesat. This is on Astra2 at 28.2 which also carries some UK movies channels and the UK Sky news on the Pan European non freesat beams. From what you say you are using a single dish and re aligning it by using two LNB heads on this dish.

Thanks Graham and Malcolm, from what you say I should have no problem using the diseqc switch installed in Spain.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 19:55:11 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

Apologies. You are correct regards Astra. FreeSat will configure S and S2 accordingly for its transducers when it downloads its database, and many satellites should have the correct pre-configured transponders in Humax already. It is only an issue if you add transducers manually or need to change. Astra has many S2 transducers so you may need to check.

Yes, I have a single dish with two quatro LNBs that feed into a 9x12 multiplexor (Triax) that pipes signal around the house so people can watch any channel at any time any place.

| Thu 29 Oct 2015 20:55:17 #47 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.