My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Changing from Sky to Humax HDR-1100S

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AshleyGrey

Hi All,

I am thinking about cancelling my Sky subscription and getting a Humax HDR-1100S 1TB recorder to replace it but wanted to find out what people thought?

Has anybody done this? Are you happy with the change?

Can you use the Sky cables for the Humax box? I live in a block of flats and there is a communal dish, so will it still work?

Can you record 2 shows at the same time while watching a pre-recorded show?

I've only ever had Sky, I've never had a freeview type box before, but I can save a fair bit of money if I change and most of the shows I watch are pre-recorded, so I don't really even use 90% of the Sky channels.

It would be great to get some feedback, before I cancel Sky and spend money on a box.

Many thanks
    Ashley

| Mon 26 Nov 2018 22:55:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Has anybody done this? Are you happy with the change?

Quite a few of us had Sky at one time or another. I got rid of Sky about 6 or 7 years ago - never looked back.

Can you use the Sky cables for the Humax box? I live in a block of flats and there is a communal dish, so will it still work?

Yes.
    Can you record 2 shows at the same time while watching a pre-recorded show?

Yes.
    Just think of Freesat as though it was Sky without the cost of a subscription.

| Mon 26 Nov 2018 23:25:46 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can even watch some 3rd channels while recording two.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

A Freesat box in sby uses about 60 times less than a Sky-box in sby (just 0.5W) , Depending on tariff. Approx £20:00 - £30:00 pound less in electricity every year.

You need a broadband connection to make best use

| Mon 26 Nov 2018 23:34:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AshleyGrey

Thank you Faust and Graham for responding and answering my questions.

Does the Wifi feature on the Humax box work well?

I will need to use this to connect to the broadband as the router in my flat is on the other side of the lounge and I cannot use a hardwired cable.

Good to know I can save money on my electric too if I change the box. Although not sure what "sby" means...?

Once I've purchased my box, I can save about £252 p/a (I only have basic sky record).

I have Sky broadband which I'm happy with but I'm paying £30 p/month and if I change this, I can save quite a bit over the year too.

I think I'm almost convinced to change!

Many thanks
    Ashley

| Wed 28 Nov 2018 20:25:25 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

sby = standby

A Sky box on 'standby' uses an inordinate amount of power, pretty much the same as when it is fully on.

| Wed 28 Nov 2018 20:28:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AshleyGrey

Oh ok! Thank you Trev.

| Wed 28 Nov 2018 20:40:07 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AshleyGrey - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you Faust and Graham for responding and answering my questions.
    Does the Wifi feature on the Humax box work well?
    I will need to use this to connect to the broadband as the router in my flat is on the other side of the lounge and I cannot use a hardwired cable.
    Good to know I can save money on my electric too if I change the box. Although not sure what "sby" means...?

All my Kit including the HDR-1000S is network cabled. Basically impossible to answer as we don't know the construction of your home and how good the WiFi performance of your router is.

Put your laptop roughly where the box will be used and check the Wireless speed back to the router. Do a Download test and then move the laptop close to the router and compare the results.

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
    Once I've purchased my box, I can save about £252 p/a (I only have basic sky record).
    I have Sky broadband which I'm happy with but I'm paying £30 p/month and if I change this, I can save quite a bit over the year too.
    I think I'm almost convinced to change!
    Many thanks
    Ashley

Unlikely to be a issue with the box and router in the same room.

You can always use a pair of homeplug adaptors which use your mains wiring to connect the two.

eg

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200290250|agid:12504951290|tid:aud-180466976245:pla-213054609410|crid:66128554130|nw:g|rnd:1174246804609966943|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1007011&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq6iUgO733gIVZr7tCh2J6waLEAQYASABEgLnXvD_BwE

| Wed 28 Nov 2018 20:45:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AshleyGrey

Ok Graham.

Thank you for the tip to check the download speed.

I have a wifi dvd player with Amazon Prime and that works well if I'm watching a show etc... so I'm assuming the Humax box will work in the same way.

| Wed 28 Nov 2018 20:49:14 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I'm afraid my HDR 1000s is BW - i.e. before Wifi. Only the later boxes have that luxury.

| Thu 29 Nov 2018 15:10:53 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.