My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Channel 4 HD and All 4 to leave Freesat

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

patc50

My understanding is that the Ch4 SD will remain on Freesat but Ch4 HD and the All 4 catch-up service will be removed. Removing All 4 is a real blow as there are some excellent box sets available to view.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 11:21:57 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JungleMartin - 35 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 
    I have seen many post bemoaning the loss of CH4-SD on HD Freesat boxes, perhaps Freesat have been leaned on to provide both which would clearly increase the epg costs.

I don't understand, Graham. Is there or has there been some talk of the SD feed of Channel 4 disappearing from Freesat?
    Incidentally, I took a look in the EPG of my Freesat HD box and currently the C4HD programming is listed until the early hours of Saturday morning, and then goes blank. Of course, that is not to say that the channel will continue to work until then or things won't change before then.

No SD feed will continue.

If channel remains FTA G2 box owners will be able to watch but not record using non-freesat mode.

Foxsat-HDR owners have more options.

Channel can be recorded manually in non-freesat mode

Those with the custom firmware and the associated channel editor will be able to schedule manual recording timers without needing to switch to non-freesat mode.

I will have more details Friday after overnight housekeeping on my Foxsat-HDR which automatically e-mails me details of any changes.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 11:43:09 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

What I didn't understand though, Graham, was where you said, "I have seen many post bemoaning the loss of CH4-SD on HD Freesat boxes..."

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 13:07:17 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JungleMartin - 22 minutes ago  » 
    What I didn't understand though, Graham, was where you said, "I have seen many post bemoaning the loss of CH4-SD on HD Freesat boxes..."

Senior moment it was Channel 5 SD.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 13:30:37 #14 |
  5. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Whilst I'm a regular viewer of C4HD it's not the end of the world for me (I remember 405 Lines TV on a 9" Philips box with 23 people watching the 1953 Coronation!).
    I did notice when I tuned in the day the service was dropped that within the first couple of minutes before the EPG was refreshed, programmes being received then of course stopping as the EPG update completed.
    Not being that knowledgeable about the technicalities, does this suggest if the two parties get their act together that we could see a rapid return, as it appears C4HD and All4 have just been removed from the front end?
    C4 did say in an email I got from them that I could watch via various casting products including Chromecast. Only issue is that there must be a condition in the app that refuses Chromecast the ability to cast live programmes. Everything else is fine.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 12:40:22 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All 4 on my Android tablet isn't chrome cast compatible but works with my panasonic TV and that's not live. I can post how to watch using non-freesat if you have a Humax box and you post which model.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 13:01:42 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    All 4 on my Android tablet isn't chrome cast compatible but works with my panasonic TV and that's not live. I can post how to watch using non-freesat if you have a Humax box and you post which model.

Your reply re: Chromecast has got me puzzled Graham as I can cast All 4 from both my Android Tablet and my Android phone. I can of course also cast it from any Chrome web browser.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 15:04:32 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 17 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Your reply re: Chromecast has got me puzzled Graham as I can cast All 4 from both my Android Tablet and my Android phone. I can of course also cast it from any Chrome web browser.

In my all4 app no sign of chromecast. If I try to use chrome it opens the all4 app could be Android Version.

I will try my phone.

EDIT Works on Phone.

I can use the FVP-5000T anyway.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 15:26:54 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

I have to say this (C4 removing 4HD from Freesat, not to mention All4 too) strikes me as very petty by Channel 4. The other four 'main' terrestrial channels are there in HD. Channel 4 have taken their HD ball and gone home with it. I think it reflects very badly on them, and shows a disregard for their Freesat viewers.

I'm still holding out some hope that the two sides will resolve their differences and normal service will be resumed.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 15:50:31 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

entdgc

A rare watcher of C4 but an avid watcher of GP so having to watch in SD now - makes you realise how much better HD was! Lots of pixelation on track edges and everything a little blurry. Just wish C4 and FreeSAT would get back to acting like adults or should I say professionals - or better still BBC would stick their hands in their pockets and host GP. Not sure any of those things are likely to happen!

Dave

| Sun 25 Mar 2018 14:49:08 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.