My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Chromecast on Aura

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lyppy

I’ve just bought an Aura box to replace my T2000 which had died on me. So far, it seems to be perfect for my needs. But I’m a bit confused about Chromecast. I can’t find the App on the App page. I can find details of it on the Settings but that just gives me information. I downloaded the Google Home App on my iPad but it won’t find my Aura box. Am I right in thinking that Chromecast allows me to watch things on my tv instead of my iPad? If it’s built in, surely I don’t have to buy Chromecast?
    Sorry if I’m not making sense, but I’m really confused by this.

| Mon 16 Aug 2021 20:35:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Chromecast is a mode where the box makes itself "known" to the local network as something which can play back video if instructed to do so by another device on the network. So there is no "app" on the box for it.

Not sure if this is exactly the same on an iPad, but on an Android device for example if you were using YouTube on a phone or tablet you'd see a little Chromecast icon on the top of the screen. Click that and it would show which Chromecast devices are available on your network, and if you select the Humax / Aura one whilst the Aura is on you should then see that the playback is transferred to the TV screen from your mobile / tablet screen. You can then also control the pause / rewind etc from the phone / tablet.

You should be able to add the Humax to a Google Home app; I can see my Humax on my (Android) Google Home app, for example.

There is nothing to buy though.

Are your iPad and your Humax on the same network?

| Tue 17 Aug 2021 7:38:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rudedawg

However you will probably get repeated messages "can't cast device firmware needs updating" as humax built the box on the cheap without a drm compatible chip.
    I now have to cast to the TV instead using a £30 chromecast which is far superior. Unfortunately the humax doesn't like that and after 10minutes it goes into standby which via the hdmi turns my TV off too. Its exasperating. How this box ever got Google TV certification if you can't cast to it properly defeats me.

| Sun 2 Oct 2022 17:50:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

Sadly the internal Chromecast in the Aura has limited usage, so like others I have resorted to using a dedicated "Chromecast with Google TV" plugged into my TV.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 13:53:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rudedawg

Is there a way of stopping the aura turning off the TV when watching the other chromecast though?

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 16:48:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

humaxban

I keep losing my ambient photos and the you tube casting starts to fail. Need to factory reset which restored features again. Had to do this 3 or 4 times now in the couple of years I've had it. Annoying.

| Sat 22 Jul 2023 18:39:21 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.