My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Continuing Problems after that retune 2+ weeks ago

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Just a recap: the message came up to retune, which I did, no problem. Then the next day, all channels disappeared and I had the msg: 'The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak'. I spoke to Freeview who thought I may be tuning to Midhurst and not Rowbridge (IOW), so suggested I tried manually retuning which I did. Over the next few days, the signal was completely random, but mostly off for several hours.
    At800 sent a chap to check the aerial, he found no problem, we reset the box, all OK. Only to go off again later. I had a TV engineer in, no progress except he was sure the problem lay with the Humax box. I spoke to the Humax help desk two days ago, and they gave me detailed instructions to reboot the box and manually retune, which I followed to the letter - all working. Until several hours later when all channels went again.
    I have had this setup for five years, it has a Panasonic TXL42ET5B TV and separate DVD. I have never had one problem - until that damned retune.
    Any advice would be wonderful.

| Tue 15 Aug 2017 17:07:12 #1 |
  2. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

What signal strength/quality values are you getting on each of the channels?

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 8:25:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Hi there Fender Bender, thank you for your response.
    At the moment, there is 0% signal for all channels on the manual retune (this is for the following channels - 24, 27, 25, 22, 28, 29, 21, 31, 37 as advised by the Humax help desk).
    However, this has not been the case since the retune, it is completely unpredictable. When the aerial chap was here, all was working and he was slightly concerned that the readings were a tad high. With me doing nothing to the Humax box/TV, it sometimes has the channels/signal available and sometimes not. However, if I plug the aerial into the TV when the Humax box has failed, all is stable, no problems at all.
    The box is five years old, but if the tuner has started to play up, it just seems a huge coincidence that it has started to play up only since that last retune (within 24 hours, though was fine immediately afterwards).
    Is there any further advice, please do let me know as it would be good to get the box back, thank you in advance.

Just for information, these are the instructions from the Help Desk (explicitly followed on more than one occasion now :():
    • Press MENU on the remote,
    • Using the directional buttons move and select Settings,
    • Select installation,
    • Enter your Password (Default is “0000”)
    • Choose Factory Default with the OK button
    • Select ‘YES’
    • Enter your Password (Default is “0000”)
    • The unit will restart, please allow up to a minute for this to happen,
    • Please choose your preferred language,
    • Please adjust any display settings as necessary and then choose NEXT,
    • Stop the automatic search before any results are found,
    • When presented with the message “Do you want to save the channels searched up to this point?” please choose NO
    • Apply any network settings if needed – Only applies to those with Ethernet cable connected, then choose NEXT,
    • Please check the settings and choose FINISH,
    • When given the message that no channels are available please press the OK button,
    • Select “Manual Search” and press OK
    • Highlight Channel and press OK
    • From the List below select the channel number and press OK,
    • Select Search and press OK, once the search is complete save the results
    • Repeat the search for all the channel numbers below:

Channel 24
    Channel 27
    Channel 25
    Channel 22
    Channel 28
    Channel 29

Please Note: When tuning the HD Channel you need to change “Transmission” to DVB-T2, only then will it find the channel,

Channel HD 21
    Channel HD 31
    Channel HD 37

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 9:35:30 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You may need to fit a variable attenuator. The Humax has sensitive tuners that are easily overloaded.

How far away are you from Rowridge ?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p86843?mkwid=sneIUSHSZ_dc&pcrid=99808204703&pkw=&pmt=&product=86843&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac9in1KAZ

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63161?table=no

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 9:50:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Hi Graham.
    Thanks for the swift response. I am 15 miles from Rowbridge apparently (21 miles from Midhurst, as the crow flies in both cases. Midhurst is another transmitter). The TV repair man said that he thought that the Humax box could not cope with the number of new channels, he has seen that a few times apparently, but he had no solution to that, and it tuned OK when he was here. Just went off afterwards.
    The aerial man did put something on the aerial cable going into the Humax (or TV) and I think he said it was a filter. I have enclosed a picture.
    Would I be better tuning to Midhurst? Not that I know the channels for that.
    The examples you sent across, do I need both and would they be positioned onto the aerial cable?
    Thank you.

Attachments

1. TV_Filter.jpg (108.2 KB, 0 downloads) 6 years old
    | Wed 16 Aug 2017 10:33:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anntonella - 5 minutes ago  » 
    The TV repair man said that he thought that the Humax box could not cope with the number of new channels, he has seen that a few times apparently, but he had no solution to that, and it tuned OK when he was here.

With the greatest respect to the TV repair man, he is talking nonsense. The HDR-FOX T2 is perfectly capable of dealing with the current number of channels. Earlier Humax boxes, the 9200T for instance, do have problems. What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax when tuned to BBC1?

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 10:42:10 #6 |
  7. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Anntonella - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Would I be better tuning to Midhurst? Not that I know the channels for that.

It depends which way your aerial points, because if you're closer to Rowridge than Midhurst, its likely you are in between the two.

Using manual tune you could see what signal strengths you get for the following channels from Midhurst:

DVB-T: 50, 55, 56, 58 & 59.
    DVB-T2: 54.

Edit: The filter you have fitted is to filter out 4G signals that might interfere with the freeview channels.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 10:42:32 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Martin, sadly there is no signal into the box at all at present, so I cannot answer that. When it was working and the aerial guy was here, he was concerned that it was in the 70% plus range, but once he fitted that filter (?), it went down to below 60%. It was all working then (for a few hours at least). Times fondly remembered....
    I will have a go at tuning into those Midhurst channels (thanks FB) and see if I can get a better (any) response. Looking at the aerial on the roof, it does look as if it is pointing in the IOW direction, but nothing to lose by giving it a go.
    In defense of the TV repairmen, he may have been alluding to earlier Humax versions.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 10:56:27 #8 |
  9. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

You don't need to actually re-tune to Midhurst. Without resetting the box, just scroll down the list of channels on the manual tune screen and see what the signal strength is of each one. Don't press the Scan button.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 11:06:45 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Ah, OK, FB, will do. Presently, for the Rowbridge channels, I am getting zero signal strength, which is why I am suspicious of the tuner in the box (as all is OK when the aerial is in the back of the TV).
    I will give it a go, thank you.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 11:17:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.