My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Continuing Problems after that retune 2+ weeks ago

(22 posts)
  1. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

It sounds like Martin is correct then. You may need to attenuate the input to the Humax.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 13:26:51 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Anntonella - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham.
    Thanks for the swift response. I am 15 miles from Rowbridge apparently (21 miles from Midhurst, as the crow flies in both cases. Midhurst is another transmitter). The TV repair man said that he thought that the Humax box could not cope with the number of new channels, he has seen that a few times apparently, but he had no solution to that, and it tuned OK when he was here. Just went off afterwards.
    The aerial man did put something on the aerial cable going into the Humax (or TV) and I think he said it was a filter. I have enclosed a picture.
    Would I be better tuning to Midhurst? Not that I know the channels for that.
    The examples you sent across, do I need both and would they be positioned onto the aerial cable?
    Thank you.

The attenuator I linked to has f connectors. The adaptor allows you to use the standard Belling Lee TV type connector (alternatively you can fit f connectors to the existing cable - Google how to fit as they are very simple to fit). You can get attenuators with standard belling lee connectors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/370552240392?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=45192391362&rlsatarget=pla-327465400250&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=7368464&poi=&googleloc=1007011&device=c&campaignid=861899735&crdt=0

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 14:54:25 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 20 seconds ago  » 

Anntonella - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham.
    Thanks for the swift response. I am 15 miles from Rowbridge apparently (21 miles from Midhurst, as the crow flies in both cases. Midhurst is another transmitter). The TV repair man said that he thought that the Humax box could not cope with the number of new channels, he has seen that a few times apparently, but he had no solution to that, and it tuned OK when he was here. Just went off afterwards.
    The aerial man did put something on the aerial cable going into the Humax (or TV) and I think he said it was a filter. I have enclosed a picture.
    Would I be better tuning to Midhurst? Not that I know the channels for that.
    The examples you sent across, do I need both and would they be positioned onto the aerial cable?
    Thank you.

The attenuator I linked to has f connectors. The adaptor allows you to use the standard Belling Lee TV type connector (alternatively you can fit f connectors to the existing cable - Google how to fit as they are very simple to fit). You can get attenuators with standard belling lee connectors.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/370552240392?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=45192391362&rlsatarget=pla-327465400250&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=7368464&poi=&googleloc=1007011&device=c&campaignid=861899735&crdt=0

As already said the filter you have is a 4G filter. If you remove and then get picture interference simply put it back. Chances are you don't need it.

The attenuator fits to the coax cable before the Humax rf/aerial in socket.

To tune to Midhurst you would need to realign your aerial.

On your existing aerial are the aerial elements horizontal or vertical ? Rowridge is very unusual in that it has both horizontally and vertical polarised channels.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 14:56:28 #13 |
  4. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

I'm just wondering whether your problem is a mechanical issue where the aerial cable plugs into the back of the Humax (or the channel 59 box plugs in). I had some issues some time ago with signals coming and going and tracked it to the plug and socket which I tightened up/jiggled about a bit and they seemed to seat better and all was then OK - maybe worth a try.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 16:00:52 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Hi All.
    Trevor, I too thought that maybe the problem was the aerial cable, and have been out, purchased a Monster cable which continues to allow the TV to show brilliant pictures, but sadly, nothing at all via the Humax box. I also did remove that filter box thing, has made no difference to the picture on the TV, it still appears clear as a bell.
    When I reset the Humax box and choose to manually retune, for every channel I choose, each comes back with 0% for Strength and 0% for Signal. This is for Rowbridge, Midhurst and even when I choose Auto tune - nothing. This has certainly happened since the requested retune, but it then randomly kept finding the signal and loading the channels. And then losing the signal. Several times. However, this week, it does seem to have packed in completely (the Humax box I mean), as it cannot and will not find a signal, even though all I need to do is switch the aerial cable into the TV and all channels are there, clear as a bell.
    It does look like the Humax box has packed up in the tuner department. It is five years old, though I would have hoped for a longer life for it. C'est la vie.
    If there are other options, please do let me know. But I am not sure where we can go with the box not recognising the signal from the aerial cable.
    I would like to thank you all for your help and advice, I do appreciate it. I think I may have to look for a new PVR

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 16:17:05 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Anntonella - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Hi All.
    Trevor, I too thought that maybe the problem was the aerial cable, and have been out, purchased a Monster cable which continues to allow the TV to show brilliant pictures, but sadly, nothing at all via the Humax box. I also did remove that filter box thing, has made no difference to the picture on the TV, it still appears clear as a bell.
    When I reset the Humax box and choose to manually retune, for every channel I choose, each comes back with 0% for Strength and 0% for Signal. This is for Rowbridge, Midhurst and even when I choose Auto tune - nothing. This has certainly happened since the requested retune, but it then randomly kept finding the signal and loading the channels. And then losing the signal. Several times. However, this week, it does seem to have packed in completely (the Humax box I mean), as it cannot and will not find a signal, even though all I need to do is switch the aerial cable into the TV and all channels are there, clear as a bell.
    It does look like the Humax box has packed up in the tuner department. It is five years old, though I would have hoped for a longer life for it. C'est la vie.
    If there are other options, please do let me know. But I am not sure where we can go with the box not recognising the signal from the aerial cable.
    I would like to thank you all for your help and advice, I do appreciate it. I think I may have to look for a new PVR

Are you sure your aerial is pointing at Rowridge ? Does your system by any chance have an aerial amplifier which may be a small box mounted just under the aerial ? Still worth trying an attenuator.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 17:17:15 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anntonella

Hi Graham. Yes, looking at the aerial on the roof, it is definitely pointing across to the IOW, so towards Rowbridge. It has not been touched at all in 10+ years. The aerial guy went into the roof and mentioned I had a booster (many rooms in the house have aerial sockets, albeit there is only one TV in the house), and he did do something that reduced that booster signal (I am afraid my technical knowledge as to the detail is poor).

Once he came back downstairs, he was happier with the signal coming through (it was weaker at something around 50%+), and all the channels were active and Live on the Humax box. That was Saturday, they continued with their random appearances until Monday since when they have disappeared completely.

Would the attenuator be something fitted with the booster in the roof or on the aerial cable downstairs? Just wondering if that is what the aerial guy attached. I knew I should have photocopied his jobsheet... mind you, I have his mobile numebr somewhere.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 17:31:40 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Anntonella - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham. Yes, looking at the aerial on the roof, it is definitely pointing across to the IOW, so towards Rowbridge. It has not been touched at all in 10+ years. The aerial guy went into the roof and mentioned I had a booster (many rooms in the house have aerial sockets, albeit there is only one TV in the house), and he did do something that reduced that booster signal (I am afraid my technical knowledge as to the detail is poor).
    Once he came back downstairs, he was happier with the signal coming through (it was weaker at something around 50%+), and all the channels were active and Live on the Humax box. That was Saturday, they continued with their random appearances until Monday since when they have disappeared completely.
    Would the attenuator be something fitted with the booster in the roof or on the aerial cable downstairs? Just wondering if that is what the aerial guy attached. I knew I should have photocopied his jobsheet... mind you, I have his mobile numebr somewhere.

Basically you should not need a booster at only 15 mls from a main power transmitter (You may have needed one pre-dso, at DSO the digital transmitters had a major power increase). Not surprised you have issues. Disconnect the aerial feed to the booster and the one to your Humax and connect them together to give a direct feed from the aerial to the Humax box. If the booster is being used to feed lots of TV's fit the attenuator on the booster input.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 18:36:42 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

FenderBender - 5 hours ago  » 
    It sounds like Martin is correct then. You may need to attenuate the input to the Humax.

I don't believe I said that in this thread. If I am understanding correctly the signal as reported by the Humax is either 50-60% or 0%. That doesn't sound like a situation where an attenuator will help. It sounds to me more like an iffy connection between the aerial socket and the tuner. Anntonella does anything change if you waggle the aerial socket on the Humax?

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 19:23:02 #19 |
  10. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 
    I don't believe I said that in this thread.

Apologies. It was Graham.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 22:02:30 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.