My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Cookies & Players & Guide roll back

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjh

How many with a cookies problem, are using the remote recording?

Philip:
    - I used remote recording on the faulty 5000T unit; and
    - also in use on the replacement unit, with no EPG problem.

| Fri 15 Mar 2019 14:49:56 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

GrahamRHK - 1 week ago  » 
    I believe this problem - together with other issues with the FVP500T are associated with the networking infrastructure in the home - I particular the router. I acquired one of these boxes in January and had endless problems like this - missing players, failing On Demand etc. I suspect DNS problems. 4 weeks ago I upgraded my router (for other reasons - Draytek 2862) and since then have had no problems at all and not had to reboot the FVP since. Previously I had a Draytek 2760 (Linux version) and two Sagem routers (BT and Plusnet). All three caused the FVP to exhibit these problems. I found that if the FVP reported the router as the DNS server (i.e. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 depending on router model)- (check network connection function on the FVP) the problems disappeared after a reboot, only to return a few hours later. Now the FVP reports the DNS servers as those designated by the ISP (Plusnet in my case). The FVP makes regular calls to many different network servers to work properly (Humax portal, Netflix etc.) and I suspect DNS caching in a domestic router may be failing. Though I must confess that my research is far from complete.I am tracing network traffic with Wireshark). I will update further if I get new information - when I get the time! If anyone with these problems could check the DNS servers allocated to the FVP and post back it would be most helpful.

Big thanks for this, Graham. My 4000T was using the IP address of my router as the DNS server. I changed the DNS addresses to the OpenDNS servers as suggested by Martin Liddle, and so far, after a week, all is well. I have removed the 24hr timer that was rebooting the 4000T every morning at the same time.
    Remote recording is working as it should, all the Players are present, and the historical EPG is fully populated. Fingers crossed!
    PS even my H3 Espresso seems to be behaving too!

| Sat 16 Mar 2019 12:24:07 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pigolato - 2 hours ago  » 
    My 4000T was using the IP address of my router as the DNS server. I changed the DNS addresses to the OpenDNS servers as suggested by Martin Liddle, and so far, after a week, all is well. I have removed the 24hr timer that was rebooting the 4000T every morning at the same time.

Excellent news. Please keep us updated perhaps with another report in a month.

| Sat 16 Mar 2019 14:29:32 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

Well it's not a month but so far all is good. No reboots needed, no clearing cookies. All players present and correct, winding back the EPG works as it should.
    Happy Bunny

| Sun 7 Apr 2019 14:55:55 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Philip

I also have been using alternative DNS, but still had problems. Recently I did a full reset on the box (hdd re format) and set the primary DNS to the OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, secondary to the router 192.168.1.1 I will now monitor for the next few weeks.

Off subject I have found that the LiveTV app will download the EPG away from home, providing that the app hasn't been linked to the box via WiFi (in the app settings/My Profile/Registered Devices must be blank)

| Mon 8 Apr 2019 14:23:11 #25 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.