My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Cookies & Players & Guide roll back

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Philip - 9 hours ago  » 
    I have checked my FVP & found the DNS's set to 192.168.1.1 & 0.0.0.0 Some time ago I set my router to a fixed IP for the FVP.
    The reason was that I was having big problems with my ISP & having to reboot the router regularly to reconnect the internet.
    This caused the dynamic IP to alter every reboot, which would then require a reboot of the FVP. After 2 1/2 months TalkTalk & openreach have finally managed to give me a quiet phone line & a stable internet. Also I notice on the web that TT have been recently having DNS server problems. The DNS's in my router are different from those widely shown on the net. This morning I manually set the DNS's in the FVP to those shown by my router,& cleared the cookies. So far OK, Time will tell, about a week should prove if the problem is fixed. Just wondering if any of this will effect the live TV app and the MyHumax, which has never worked correctly!

Do I assume correctly that you are using a wired connection? I only use WiFi and have not found a way to set DNS servers in the FVP when connecting wirelessly - or have I missed something.
    Reverting to the base problem I think you are confirming that if the FVP is set up to use ISP DNS servers all seems to work - as I suspected. Having said that I am puzzled why we seem to have trouble with DNS set to the router IP address - it ought to work as all the other devices on my network seem to behave normally in that configuration. I am still studying the issue when I get the time!

| Thu 7 Mar 2019 19:42:59 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Philip

Yes I am using wired connection, and it is too early to say if using ISP DNS in the FVP has had the desired effect, give it a week or so.

| Thu 7 Mar 2019 20:13:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Philip

I have just needed to clear the cookies on my FVP in order to get the players to show. Interestingly when the top row of players is absent the "i" button at the top right stays highlighted, so the FVP knows there is a problem with the cookies. Also why did whoever designed the GI put the button so conveniently in that position? Were they expecting that cookies might need clearing regularly?

My next move will be to get rid of the player apps, by doing a reset on the box, and then re-install them one at a time, to see if one of them in particular is busy filling up the FVP.

| Mon 11 Mar 2019 18:19:59 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjh

I bought a new 5000T in January this year. Within a couple of days, I noticed ‘No programme information’ showing against all channels in the historic EPG.

Taking advice from Humax support, we tried four different fixes. The first three failed:
    1. Factory reset and manual re-tune;
    2. Add an attenuator to reduce the signal strength from my aerial; and
    3. Upgrade my internet connection to provide an upload speed of at least 3Mbps.

The fourth fix seems to have worked – Humax sent a replacement box. The replacement 5000T uses exactly the same, wired network components as its predecessor. It is now in its sixth day of operation and the EPG has been trouble free throughout.

Thank you all for sharing your findings and ideas. They helped me considerably.

regards,

John

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 16:04:56 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

jjh: The one thing it seems they didn't suggest, which often seems to work for this problem, is to delete the cookies.

This is done via the "F" button on the remote and then "Players" and up to the "i" button at top right of the screen. When prompted, press "+" and a couple of "OK"s. Usually seems to bring back the catchup EPG.

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 16:38:44 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjh

A1944: You’re right, that workaround was never mentioned. Humax support were helpful but seemed less well versed than forum members on this particular problem.

After clearing cookies, is it necessary to sign back in to iPlayer, ITVhub apps, etc?

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 17:13:40 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

jjh - 12 minutes ago  » After clearing cookies, is it necessary to sign back in to iPlayer, ITVhub apps, etc?

I don't think so. I just tried clearing my cookies and then went into ITV Hub and it worked straight away. iPlayer always seems to check the account name but doesn't ask me to sign in with a password.

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 17:26:27 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjh

A1944: Thank you, I’ll use that workaround if necessary in the future. Previously, I just crossed my fingers and cut the power.

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 17:42:33 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

OK. Hopefully it will work for you as well, if you need to try.

I am unclear what the purpose is of cookies on the 5000T. As you reasonably wondered, often they are used on PCs to store login information, but it doesn't seem to happen here.

| Wed 13 Mar 2019 19:26:08 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Philip

Just a thought about cookies, when you enable remote recording via the My Humax web site, you are required to agree to both terms & conditions and a privacy policy. In the privacy policy cookies are mentioned, there are 4 different types used, some more permanent than others.

So question, is the cookies problem tied up with using the My Humax?

How many with a cookies problem, are using the remote recording?

| Fri 15 Mar 2019 7:20:52 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.