My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Decrypting HD recordings on replacement Humax

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

If I understand correctly, when my Humax fails, and I buy a new one, I cannot transfer my HD recordings to the new Humax (by copy, or even by disk swapping) because the decryption of the HD programmes is tied to the Humax on which the recording was made.

When I bought Humax_1, I undoubtedly paid a licence fee for the encryption/decryption technique, and my Humax_1 was given a unique key with which to encrypt and decrypt.

When I buy Humax_2, I no doubt get a new, different key for it.

Why can't I tell Humax_2 to decrypt with either Key_1 or Key_2, both of which I have paid for?

Or why can't I unplug a "mini Key-chip" from Humax_1, and plug it into a chip holder in Humax_2, put there for this specific purpose?

As it is, if Humax_1 breaks, all HD recordings are unplayable, and therefore lost, even though the recordings on the disk are perfect.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:15:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Given that you know the answers why would you want to replace a dead 4000T with another 4000T?

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:21:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I think you have missed the point.

Failure of the motherboard on a device using encryption for HD programmes means that all the HD recordings are permanently lost as you cannot transfer the unwatched programmes to a replacement device of whatever brand.

In several years time, I could 2 TBytes of HD recordings, and lose them all just because a chip on the motherboard dies, or a solder joint fails.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:26:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

...all the HD recordings are permanently lost ...

They're not lost, you just haven't got a copy.

PVRs are for timeshifting, in theory - not archiving. Count your blessings, and watch while you can.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:34:59 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The PVR on a single chip (probably Broadcom) has integrated encryption which uses a unique key (Guessing the unique MAC address) to encrypt/decrypt.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:39:05 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

JamesB
    They're not lost, you just haven't got a copy.

I am still laughing out loud at that observation! It's akin to

Wife: Are we lost?
    Husband (deeply offended at the thought): Of course we aren't lost. It's just I don't know where we are.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:41:47 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The licence to use the Freeview/Freesat epg imposes a requirement on the box makers to encrypt (and copy protect) when the broadcaster flags it in the broadcast stream (the actual broadcast is not encrypted). This has to be using a single key unique to the box.

Generic free to air kit without the convenience of the epg do not have to encrypt. A DVB-T2 card in a PC would record without encryption as would a generic DVB-S2 satellite pvr.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:45:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Wife: Are we lost?
    Husband (deeply offended at the thought): Of course we aren't lost. It's just I don't know where we are.

Also true.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 13:48:19 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

JamesB
    Count your blessings ...

That reminds me of mindfulness:

When the washing machine breaks down, don't get enraged it no longer works - think of all the work it has saved you in the past.

When you are caught in a traffic jam on the way to work don't curse - be thankful that you have a job to go to and a car to take you to it.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 14:39:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Yep.

Washing machines especially. Wonderful invention.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 14:45:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.