My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Decrypting HD recordings on replacement Humax

(29 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Graham
    Can we please reset the question back to what I asked.
    Is there any way in which I can remove HD recordings from a PVR-4000T and play them on a replacement PVR-4000T, or different system, even if that means I can only see them in SD?
    I understand HD recordings can only be played back using the mother-board of the PVR-4000T which recorded them.
    SD recordings are not affected.

I have answered this already, only by recording using a suitable device from the box analogue outputs.

SD recordings would be the same (unplayable) if you copied them by a method that did not decrypt the content as you copy it.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 17:28:48 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 10 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Why did you need to convert it ? I would find it hard to find anything that won't play mpeg2 576i content in a transport stream container. That includes Window 7 and 10 laptops, cheap portable £20.00 media players, Any of the Humax boxes with usb media streaming, Android Tablet, Smart Phone, Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV. Even a Foxsat-hdr will play them if AV2HDR is used to create the required sidecar files. In fact all of the above will play back 1080i H264AVC content with ac3 audio also in a transport stream container.
    If you are talking HD and aac audio that may be an issue for some older kit sound wise.

But they won't play on a Panasonic PVR - that is not without a lot of conversion work. If you think back we have had this discussion before. I found this out when trying to stream files (in SD) from the Humax to the Panasonic HWT120 over DLNA. Humax must put something in the data stream which prevents this, though as I say it can be circumvented with a little patience.

That isn't the same as copying the files to another device and in the process removing the decryption. It's a limitation of the DLNA client on the Panasonic. I can stream SD recordings from a HDR FOX T2 to a PC, and also HD recordings to a second HDR FOX T2 without any sort of modification.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 17:35:32 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

Thanks. That was what I understood.

I am reasonably "techy" but I was getting lost in the acronyms and was not sure if that was describing a method.

In summary therfore

HD: RCA output > Archive (1 hour/hour of recording)
    SD: Use Humax to copy it to archive (fast), or
    __ use RCA output > Archive as for HD (slow)

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 17:35:33 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 44 seconds ago  » 
    Graham
    Thanks. That was what I understood.
    I am reasonably "techy" but I was getting lost in the acronyms and was not sure if that was describing a method.
    In summary therfore
    HD: RCA output > Archive (1 hour/hour of recording)
    SD: Use Humax to copy it to archive (fast), or
    __ use RCA output > Archive as for HD (slow)

Depends what you mean by fast, copying SD to USB is faster than real time, but the overhead required to decrypt the content and also service the pvr itself at the same time makes it far from fast in usb transfer speed capability. Not having the FVP-4000T I can't tell you how fast it is. You would have to try it out, unless Barry has an idea as to transfer speeds.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 17:40:35 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 

Why did you need to convert it ? I would find it hard to find anything that won't play mpeg2 576i content in a transport stream container. That includes Window 7 and 10 laptops, cheap portable £20.00 media players, Any of the Humax boxes with usb media streaming, Android Tablet, Smart Phone, Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV. Even a Foxsat-hdr will play them if AV2HDR is used to create the required sidecar files. In fact all of the above will play back 1080i H264AVC content with ac3 audio also in a transport stream container.
    If you are talking HD and aac audio that may be an issue for some older kit sound wise.

But they won't play on a Panasonic PVR - that is not without a lot of conversion work. If you think back we have had this discussion before. I found this out when trying to stream files (in SD) from the Humax to the Panasonic HWT120 over DLNA. Humax must put something in the data stream which prevents this, though as I say it can be circumvented with a little patience.

That isn't the same as copying the files to another device and in the process removing the decryption. It's a limitation of the DLNA client on the Panasonic. I can stream SD recordings from a HDR FOX T2 to a PC, and also HD recordings to a second HDR FOX T2 without any sort of modification.

No Graham, even if I copy files to a USB stick (in SD) from the 2000T they still won't play without converting either on the Panasonic or PC. They will once I use Handbrake. It simply produces 'file not recognised' or 'file not supported' messages. I suspect changes have been made in the newer hardware.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 23:52:18 #25 |
  6. andyb63uk

Andy B

JamesB - 9 hours ago  » 
    Yep.
    Washing machines especially. Wonderful invention.

Hang on a minute, does this mean I can throw away my bucket, washboard and carbolic??

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 0:11:25 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

andyb63uk - 36 minutes ago <a
    Hang on a minute, does this mean I can throw away my bucket, washboard and carbolic??

You have to throw them away if they are the HD versions, as they are encrypted and are useless to anyone except you.

But you can recycle the SD versions as they are not encrypted, and can be used by anyone in any sink.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 0:51:09 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 11 hours ago  » 

No Graham, even if I copy files to a USB stick (in SD) from the 2000T they still won't play without converting either on the Panasonic or PC. They will once I use Handbrake. It simply produces 'file not recognised' or 'file not supported' messages. I suspect changes have been made in the newer hardware.

Have you looked at the file format using MediaInfo ?

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 10:54:54 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 45 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 11 hours ago  » 

Have you looked at the file format using MediaInfo ?

Yes, you provided that tip last year when we discussed the issue then. Can't remember what the outcome was but Handbrake certainly provided the solution. However, copying isn't something I tend to do as I have most of the media I require on a NAS. Streaming it the thing that irks me. I can stream from the Panny PVR to a number of devices (including the Humax) without too many problems. I do get the odd file that won't play on the Humax. However, all files streamed from the Panny PVR to the Panny TV play without issue.

Files from the Humax will not play at all when streamed to the Panny PVR. That's when the copying and conversion comes in.

It appears to me that in an attempt to prevent piracy manufacturers have also made it darn difficult for consumers to stream media to the host of devices they own - so much for a connected world.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 11:50:08 #29 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.