My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Decrypting HD recordings on replacement Humax

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

JamesB - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Yep.
    Washing machines especially. Wonderful invention.

... but lousy at recording in SD or HD!

Still, with much of the rubbish on TV these days, especially "celebiity" junk, it is often preferable to watch the clothes going round rather than sit in front of the TV.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 14:59:28 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The licence to use the Freeview/Freesat epg imposes a requirement on the box makers to encrypt (and copy protect) when the broadcaster flags it in the broadcast stream (the actual broadcast is not encrypted). This has to be using a single key unique to the box.

Generic free to air kit without the convenience of the epg do not have to encrypt. A DVB-T2 card in a PC would record without encryption as would a generic DVB-S2 satellite pvr.

That's only partly true Graham, or may well be true now. However, I still have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder with Freeview. I can not only record to the HDD but can then archive it to DVD (granted it's only in SD). However, that disc can then be played on any commercial DVD player.

In effect what we have now is not as good as we had in the past although what we had in the past was SD not HD. I think the latest generation of DVD/HDD recorders have been hobbled.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:09:32 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

In effect what we have now is not as good as we had in the past although what we had in the past was SD not HD

Which is what we've still got, for archiving purposes.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:15:12 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Are you saying that you can archive an HD recording but it will only save it as SD?

I thought that you could not do that on the Humax. If you can do it, it solves my problem.

If the manual was printed using black ink instead of grey ink, and with text bigger than 9 point, I could probably read it and see what it says about it.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:24:08 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 

The licence to use the Freeview/Freesat epg imposes a requirement on the box makers to encrypt (and copy protect) when the broadcaster flags it in the broadcast stream (the actual broadcast is not encrypted). This has to be using a single key unique to the box.
    Generic free to air kit without the convenience of the epg do not have to encrypt. A DVB-T2 card in a PC would record without encryption as would a generic DVB-S2 satellite pvr.

That's only partly true Graham, or may well be true now. However, I still have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder with Freeview. I can not only record to the HDD but can then archive it to DVD (granted it's only in SD). However, that disc can then be played on any commercial DVD player.
    In effect what we have now is not as good as we had in the past although what we had in the past was SD not HD. I think the latest generation of DVD/HDD recorders have been hobbled.

You can still do that using a HDR2000T and presumably a FVP-4000T for SD content. Broadcasters do not normally impose encryption on SD content.

Humax boxes differ how they handle this, the HDR Freeview+ range encrypt everything but decrypt SD on copying to SD or streaming via DLNA. As the FVP-4000T is capable of streaming to mobile devices it presumably inherits the same capability.

The Foxsat-hdr encrypts HD when the broadcaster flags this (For some months after BBC1 HD launched the flag wasn't set so the recordings were not encrypted). SD is not encrypted at all, as a result no decryption is required.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:24:17 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 35 seconds ago  » 
    Are you saying that you can archive an HD recording but it will only save it as SD?
    I thought that you could not do that on the Humax. If you can do it, it solves my problem.

I don't have a FVP-4000T, as I understand it the situation is the same as other boxes, you can archive HD content to an external hard disk, but it remains encrypted so is locked to the box that recorded it. If it's like the other boxes this means you can extend the recording capability but for HD only the life of the box. You can though record it to a suitable external (In SD) from the box analogue outputs using a suitable device capable of recording analogue video (PC or DVDR for instance). The device that Faust refers to is a DVDR.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:30:22 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 8 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 

You can still do that using a HDR2000T and presumably a FVP-4000T for SD content. Broadcasters do not normally impose encryption on SD content.
    Humax boxes differ how they handle this, the HDR Freeview+ range encrypt everything but decrypt SD on copying to SD or streaming via DLNA. As the FVP-4000T is capable of streaming to mobile devices it presumably inherits the same capability.
    The Foxsat-hdr encrypts HD when the broadcaster flags this (For some months after BBC1 HD launched the flag wasn't set so the recordings were not encrypted). SD is not encrypted at all, as a result no decryption is required.

I have copied material off the 2000T and converted it using Handbrake in order to play it on other equipment. However, it is not the simplest of tasks and is probably beyond your average Joe.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:35:10 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Why did you need to convert it ? I would find it hard to find anything that won't play mpeg2 576i content in a transport stream container. That includes Window 7 and 10 laptops, cheap portable £20.00 media players, Any of the Humax boxes with usb media streaming, Android Tablet, Smart Phone, Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV. Even a Foxsat-hdr will play them if AV2HDR is used to create the required sidecar files. In fact all of the above will play back 1080i H264AVC content with ac3 audio also in a transport stream container.

If you are talking HD and aac audio that may be an issue for some older kit sound wise.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:50:57 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

Can we please reset the question back to what I asked.

Is there any way in which I can remove HD recordings from a PVR-4000T and play them on a replacement PVR-4000T, or different system, even if that means I can only see them in SD?

I understand HD recordings can only be played back using the mother-board of the PVR-4000T which recorded them.

SD recordings are not affected.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 16:43:08 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Why did you need to convert it ? I would find it hard to find anything that won't play mpeg2 576i content in a transport stream container. That includes Window 7 and 10 laptops, cheap portable £20.00 media players, Any of the Humax boxes with usb media streaming, Android Tablet, Smart Phone, Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV. Even a Foxsat-hdr will play them if AV2HDR is used to create the required sidecar files. In fact all of the above will play back 1080i H264AVC content with ac3 audio also in a transport stream container.
    If you are talking HD and aac audio that may be an issue for some older kit sound wise.

But they won't play on a Panasonic PVR - that is not without a lot of conversion work. If you think back we have had this discussion before. I found this out when trying to stream files (in SD) from the Humax to the Panasonic HWT120 over DLNA. Humax must put something in the data stream which prevents this, though as I say it can be circumvented with a little patience.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 17:21:08 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.