My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Difficulty tuning in new dish

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

siriusblack

We've bought ourselves a new, bigger dish with double LMB. All connected up and new dish installed but although the Sat Beeper shows that there is a strong signal, the HUMAX shows absolutely no signs of receiving it or that there are now 2 cables attached - and I've done a Factory Reset after the two cables were attached. Is there a fault with the box,or have we missed a trick?

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:09:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Have you checked alignment, elevation and LNB skew here...
    http://www.dishpointer.com/

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:18:38 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Quite possibly you have the wrong satellite.
    Try dishpointer.com
    Enter your address, 28.2E and 28.5E and take the average. Set the disk elevation using the dish scale and start by pointing the disk in the direction indicated.

Set the LMB skew (Twist) in the direction indicated (from the dish front this will be slightly clockwise).

What size dish?

Edit: Beaten to it!!

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:19:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

siriusblack

New dish is 80cm

Going to get back up there tomorrow - too hot to do any more today.

But why hasn't the HUMAX even recognised the 2 cables? That's what concerns me as much as anything...

Also in the past when we were aligning our old dish, we at least kept getting flickers of signal strength/quality on the screen, even if they weren't from the correct satellite. This time there is absolutely nothing no matter where the dish is angled (and we think we're pretty close)

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:30:11 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

siriusblack - 21 minutes ago  » 
    New dish is 80cm
    Going to get back up there tomorrow - too hot to do any more today.
    But why hasn't the HUMAX even recognised the 2 cables? That's what concerns me as much as anything...

After a factory reset the first thing that the Humax does is to try and detect the freesat transponder. I would guess that only after it has done that that it moves on to working out how many tuners it has.

I rather think you will not get any reaction of the unit until it has tuned to some channels.

Where are you mid France? I set up a 90cm yesterday (Gers) - but with a meter. It was very hot.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:57:55 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

siriusblack

We're near Gaillac in the Tarn.
    Going to try again this evening using a spare Sky box to see whether or not it is the HUMAX itself.
    Just out of interest, we used dishpointer.com to look at where we should be pointing and we have been in exactly the right direction or as near as damn it that we should have had at least a flicker...

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 7:24:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

You can be pointing in exactly the right direction but if your dish elevation is not correct then you will get no signal. LNB skew is not so critical in most of the UK but again if correct it will improve your signal. Have you checked both?

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 9:52:27 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you get anything try looking for the following transponder which is the one needed for freesat setup.

11428 H 27500-2/3 DVB-S

Pointing at something 38000km away is a little tricky.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 10:49:01 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

p.s.

Be aware that the Sky default transponder is on Astra 2A (28.2E) while the freesat transponder is on Eutelsat 28A (28.5E).
    If you manage to get a lock on the Sky box this would indicate a minute adjustment to the left.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 16:30:34 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

siriusblack

FINALLY got it! Used an old Sky box to get the signal, then reconnected HUMAX and did a Factory Reset. Think one of the problems had been looking at the Signal Strength via the Settings menu option rather than the signal test done during the Factory Reset. Don't know but either way it works again. Thanks to everyone for your help.

| Wed 17 Jul 2013 7:27:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.