My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Digital content protection (HDCP) error message

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PJM

I wonder if anyone can help please?

I have had the same set up for over 2 years with FVP 4000t and Samsung TV (model number UE28J4100). All working fine up until Thursday, when I switched it on to watch last night I got an error saying the TV does not support digital content protection (HDCP)....etc.

Things I have tried that haven't worked:
    - unplugged humax from mains and plugged in again (several times)
    - wiped channel list and reinstalled channels (tried smart scan but lost all timers regardless).
    - reset TV to factory settings
    - unplugged DVD player from TV and everything from humax except HDMI cable and unplugged humax from mains to restart it.
    - somewhere along the line I lost most of the apps from the humax (BBC iplayer, ITV hub, etc. - all except YouTube and Netflix) not sure how but could be relevant?
    - did a factory reset of the Humax - apps returned at least but still can't watch TV

I have read up on HDCP and it makes no sense (to me at least) that this error would suddenly appear after over 2 years use.

Any suggestions welcome.........I will try and find another HDMI cable to try although I'm not sure if I have one. Will post an update if I find one.
    Thanks,
    Paul

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:28:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PJM

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Try a HDCP stripping splitter.
    eg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192473741804?chn=ps&adgroupid=57477945728&rlsatarget=pla-436434583674&abcId=1133956&adtype=pla&merchantid=116307633&poi=&googleloc=1007011&device=c&campaignid=1058851135&crdt=0

Thanks, a different HDMI cable didn't work either.
    Any idea though why this would suddenly happen? Has there been an overnight humax update for example?

Are these HDCP stripping thingies all the same? Could do with finding one that isn't going to come from China. Not sure the kids can wait 2 or 3 weeks for the TV to work. (Not sure I can either to be honest!)

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:59:56 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PJM - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Try a HDCP stripping splitter.
    eg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192473741804?chn=ps&adgroupid=57477945728&rlsatarget=pla-436434583674&abcId=1133956&adtype=pla&merchantid=116307633&poi=&googleloc=1007011&device=c&campaignid=1058851135&crdt=0

Thanks, a different HDMI cable didn't work either.
    Any idea though why this would suddenly happen? Has there been an overnight humax update for example?
    Are these HDCP stripping thingies all the same? Could do with finding one that isn't going to come from China. Not sure the kids can wait 2 or 3 weeks for the TV to work. (Not sure I can either to be honest!)

They all originate in China though you may find a UK importer if you search e-bay. Basically the splitter handshakes with the box and passes on the signals to the two outputs. One solved an issue with my arrangement to feed a second TV using a cat 6 balun. Without it turning off the kitchen TV removed the video from the main lounge TV.

Did you try a different hdmi port on the TV ?

There has been no updates afaik. Barry would normally report any updates.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 12:10:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

PJM - 1 hour ago  » 

Graham was just providing an example. Even that example states that you may not receive what the same model that the listing depicts.
    To do what you want it to do the listing should either state it is an HDCP stripper or that it is HDMI non-compliant (frequently described as working with PS3/4). The devices that include HDCP will be no use to you.

There are many for sale on the same site with a discovery date of Wednesday. Select the "UK only" option when searching and then check the results to avoid those that state it may still be posted from abroad.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 12:22:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

PJM -
    Has there been an overnight humax update for example?

Something has happened as I had to agree to Humax terms and conditions again last night when I went into the hub. Also there was a new 'i'' icon in the apps list along the bottom of the screen which when clicked showed another yes/no option to get full use of Humax interactive services.

I can't see any difference other than that, so not sure if it has any bearing on your issue.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 13:26:00 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Harters - 1 minute ago  » 

PJM -

Something has happened as I had to agree to Humax terms and conditions again last night when I went into the hub. Also there was a new 'i'' icon in the apps list along the bottom of the screen which when clicked showed another yes/no option to get full use of Human interactive services.
    I can't see any difference other than that, so not sure if it has any bearing on your issue.

That sounds like you are using the remote scheduling app. If so it's likely down to GPDR compliance, rather than any software change.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 13:29:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

grahamlthompson - 19 minutes ago  » 

Harters - 1 minute ago  » 

PJM -

Something has happened as I had to agree to Humax terms and conditions again last night when I went into the hub. Also there was a new 'i'' icon in the apps list along the bottom of the screen which when clicked showed another yes/no option to get full use of Human interactive services.

That sounds like you are using the remote scheduling app. If so it's likely down to GPDR compliance, rather than any software change.

The YouTube app has been updated again, not sure if any of the other apps have changed, but it was necessary to agree to the terms and conditions again yesterday.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 13:52:21 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PJM

Yes, I had tried that - one of the first things I did. Earlier I remembered I could use an analogue cable as a temporary fix so I have it set up like that for now.

I have a splitter/stripper thing (and additional HDMI cable) on order so fingers crossed - seems like it's a bit hit and miss as to whether these fix this problem depending the unit received. Guess they can't really be advertised as a workaround as I'm guessing they should not really be stripping the HDCP.

Thanks all for replies, just frustrating that this could happen and sap so much time especially for seemingly no reason (unless it is that YouTube update).

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 14:10:35 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PJM - 2 minutes ago  » 

Yes, I had tried that - one of the first things I did. Earlier I remembered I could use an analogue cable as a temporary fix so I have it set up like that for now.
    I have a splitter/stripper thing (and additional HDMI cable) on order so fingers crossed - seems like it's a bit hit and miss as to whether these fix this problem depending the unit received. Guess they can't really be advertised as a workaround as I'm guessing they should not really be stripping the HDCP.
    Thanks all for replies, just frustrating that this could happen and sap so much time especially for seemingly no reason (unless it is that YouTube update).

HDCP is designed to stop you connecting a HDMI source to a digital recorder and illegally copying the content. During the handshake procedure the destination device passes information to the source. eg I am a display and capable of handling the following video resolutions and refresh rates. If the handshake fails to tell the source it's a suitable device the source witholds any video/audio transmission In this case as the device is not being used to do anything illegal, rather fix a issue in the HDCP handshake, I can't see there is any issue. The fault could well be your TV that has developed an issue.

| Sat 16 Jun 2018 14:18:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.