My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Digital surround sound

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ca_smith78

New member too

Left ripoff Virgina - wanted to replicate VHD+ plus box - T2 PVR did not quite cut it. Along came Youview - It's better than virgin box and is the same price of 8 months of virgin - got a cheap broadband deal - I thought job done.

Got the box yesterday - really impressed, easy to use and actually better than the VHD+ box - all good but

How come no dolby on Freeview HD channels? It says it on the box!

Emailed Youview as suggested above - look forward to response

Hopefully as an earlier post says - same issue occured on T2 and sorted by software update.

Not keen to return the box as nothing else on market compares.

Let's hope a fix is found soon! I seem to be one of the few to 'like' the new box!

| Sat 4 Aug 2012 20:11:19 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

I have now returned mine. I may buy this box again once the issues are sorted out but I decided that I am not paying a premium price to essentially be a Beta tester and it may be a bit cheaper once the issues are sorted.

How dare they even release this product to market knowing that the Dolby Digital Plus is not working on any of the boxes as they removed/disabled it due to problems. It wouldn't have been quite as bad if they didn't have it printed on the box and in the advertising etc. This is actually in my opinion a case of mis-advertising/mis-selling. Imagine how you would feel if you say bought a Bluray player only to discover that it didn't have multichannel sound and upon asking they then told you that they disabled it but may fix it sometime in the near future.

| Sat 4 Aug 2012 23:50:17 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ca_smith78

Just spoke to Humax - apprently will be resolved in a software upgrade in next 2 - 3 weeks.

really tough to make a decision.

Used the box over the weekend - can't fault it - no problems to report. I do however have a strong TV signal and 15mbps internet connection.

Just missing dolby for the Olympics

got 7 days to decide wheter to return the box - do I believe that they will sort the Dolby?

confused.com

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 12:45:42 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Do they which part of the firmware is being updated - My guess is the YouView UI rather than the limited piece controilling the hardware interface that Humax controls?

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 14:16:46 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ca_smith78

Right made my mind up - box is going back.

Humax on the phone said "a couple of weeks" to issue the software update.

Email from Humax:

Dear Christopher,

On the new YOUVIEW box the Dolby digital isn’t available.

Apologies for any inconvenience,

Regards,

George Penny

Advisor, Humax Customer Support Services
    PO BOX 1056, St. Albans, Herts, AL1 9QL
    Tel: 0844 669 8800 / Email: GeorgeP@humaxonline.co.uk
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Not taking the risk - will look again in Sep perhaps check back here to see if the software has been updated and others are finding it works

Shame as otherwise the box has been spot on.

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 20:44:52 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkanaga

Hi, new member. Has anyone had anymore feedback on this?

I really wanted this feature and am pretty hacked off to find the box does not support surround sound

I have rung and emailed Humax and Youview but no reply yet

Very frustrating

| Wed 15 Aug 2012 20:37:14 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rkanaga - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi, new member. Has anyone had anymore feedback on this?
    I really wanted this feature and am pretty hacked off to find the box does not support surround sound
    I have rung and emailed Humax and Youview but no reply yet
    Very frustrating

Consider that a proper HD pvr with a proper epg search that the catch up services will be pretty redundant. There's not many programmes that you cannot record using the existing +1 or the repeats of BBC2 programmes on BBC-HD. I have 3 pvrs, a Foxsat-hdr, a HD FOX T2(single tuner) and a Topfield 5800. About 99,8% of the programmes I record use the Foxsat, a very few get recorded by the HD FOX T2(I very rarely use VOD services, I have a PC, a SD virgin box, a PS3, a HD FOX T2 and a Foxsat-HDR and a smart TV). The Toppy is pretty redundant. The cheaper HDR FOX T2 is a much better pvr if you ignore the catch up services, and you get 5.1 when available as well.

| Wed 15 Aug 2012 22:17:31 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkanaga

Thanks, I like the DTR-T100 in other respects, especially the neat EPG, but if they cannot guarantee the surround sound being available soon via a software update I may well follow your advice and get a HDR FOX T2

thanks

Robin

| Thu 16 Aug 2012 11:33:48 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

l1499b

Any news on a software update for the Dolby Digital output via hdmi/optical?
    Can't believe it is not working upon purchase ....
    Other than that machine is very good and am completely happy.
    Please advise - Lee

| Wed 22 Aug 2012 9:46:43 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

l1499b - 2 days ago  » 
    Other than that machine is very good and am completely happy.

Scratches head in puzzlement. How can anyone be completely happy with YouView and the DTR-T1000? It's almost universally awful, I can barely think of a single thing that's any good about it. Compared to a Humax HDR Fox T2 it's only value is as a doorstop.

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 18:29:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.