My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Digital surround sound

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bargain Dave

ispy - 8 hours ago  » 
    The list of recordings on the YouView box if a series has been recorded and its recorded a repeat as well is a pain because the Episode number is not listed, you either have to get that info via the OK button or the "i" button.
    The scheduled list also duplicates programs in the list if series Record is set up.

Are sure its actuly recording all those repeats ? Do they actully appear in your list of recordings? Or are they just a record ion on thr EPG. On my box it only ever records only once of each programe, yes there there is " record icon on every repeat of that programe in the EPG but it has a white tick in it. This means its already recorded on your hard drive. If you hightlight that repeat in epg ( even if it in the future) using your remote and press the play button (as instructed on epg), the youview box will find the recording on hard drive and start playing it.

| Mon 27 Aug 2012 15:45:18 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Travelstar

Seems Youview have been a little apprehensive about meeting their own spec when it comes to surround sound!

Today I received my new Humax youview box courtesy of BT. Plugged it all in and naturally expected it to work in full Dolby Digital - after all, the box is stamped with all the logos as are the instruction guides! Sadly my amplifer was having none of it although was more than happy to output stereo.

Checked the with the Youview specification to confirm that Dolby Digital was an official part of what the product should offer, and low and behold it was. You can check yourselves using the following link:

https://industry.youview.com/resources/YouView_Core_Technical_Specification_1.0.pdf

Step 2 was to call Humax to confirm there was nothing on their side at fault. Humax technical support confirmed that everything was working on their side, but they advised that they were aware that Youview had not updated their software to support surround sound (despite the spec calling for it!).

Step 3 was to call Youview who immediately tried to suggest I call BT or Humax for support. After going around the various BT call centres already knowing that nobody at BT would even understand what I was asking, I finally called back Youview again who actually gave me the proper customer support telephone number. To help others out (as it is not on their website):

0845 099 2910 - Yourview viewer support

Youview confirmed that the issue was in their court and they were looking to fix the applicable software issue, however they did not want to commit to a date to release the patch.

It might be worth those of you wanting surround sound (as per the spec) to call up and register your own complaints in order to help speed things along. I can't help but wonder why they could not get this right as Dolby Digital and surround sound is hardly anything new.

| Fri 26 Oct 2012 12:26:31 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bargain Dave

Travelstar - 7 hours ago  » 
    Seems Youview have been a little apprehensive about meeting their own spec when it comes to surround sound!
    Today I received my new Humax youview box courtesy of BT. Plugged it all in and naturally expected it to work in full Dolby Digital - after all, the box is stamped with all the logos as are the instruction guides! Sadly my amplifer was having none of it although was more than happy to output stereo.
    Checked the with the Youview specification to confirm that Dolby Digital was an official part of what the product should offer, and low and behold it was. You can check yourselves using the following link:
    https://industry.youview.com/resources/YouView_Core_Technical_Specification_1.0.pdf
    Step 2 was to call Humax to confirm there was nothing on their side at fault. Humax technical support confirmed that everything was working on their side, but they advised that they were aware that Youview had not updated their software to support surround sound (despite the spec calling for it!).
    Step 3 was to call Youview who immediately tried to suggest I call BT or Humax for support. After going around the various BT call centres already knowing that nobody at BT would even understand what I was asking, I finally called back Youview again who actually gave me the proper customer support telephone number. To help others out (as it is not on their website):
    0845 099 2910 - Yourview viewer support
    Youview confirmed that the issue was in their court and they were looking to fix the applicable software issue, however they did not want to commit to a date to release the patch.
    It might be worth those of you wanting surround sound (as per the spec) to call up and register your own complaints in order to help speed things along. I can't help but wonder why they could not get this right as Dolby Digital and surround sound is hardly anything new.

You should look on the Youview forum, which quietly clearly states by a youview member of staff, that this will be in the next software update due end of October. So as next week is the end of october you probably have not long to wait.

| Fri 26 Oct 2012 20:19:45 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MartinB

it seems that the DTR-T1000 does now output surround sound on the S/PDIF optical cable.

Watching the rugby on BBC1 HD this afternoon (17/11/12) and my AV amp (Sony STR DA 2400) is showing dolby digital 3.21, and the surrround sound indicator is lit up.

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 18:31:26 #34 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That said just watching that game now on my Foxsat HDR and there seems to be a problem with the digital audio with clipping / distortion. Especially noticable during John Inverdale's intro though the commentary seems better but still not as good as it should be.

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 20:08:54 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Is the Foxsat clipped or the DTR-T1000? Hard to tell from your post.

I have noticed the 5.1 audio on the DTR-T1000 is louder than on my HDR Fox T2 for a recording of the same program on both boxes. This can't be right, it must mean the DTR-T1000 is digitally boosting the volume and hence causing clipping. Humax originally did the same thing on the HDR Fox T2 when people complained about volume difference between HD and SD and that caused clipping too. Now the HDR only boosts the HD volume when configured in stereo mode but leaves it alone for 5.1. Presumably most people listen in stereo so this works for the masses, and those of us that use 5.1 through home cinema amps are content to use the volume control :-).

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 17:52:41 #36 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

There has been a recent discussion over on Digital Spy about the poor audio quality of sports commentaries and those apparently in the know say it is largely due to the poor microphones they use.

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 19:42:30 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Owen Smith - 5 hours ago  » 
    Is the Foxsat clipped or the DTR-T1000? Hard to tell from your post.
    I have noticed the 5.1 audio on the DTR-T1000 is louder than on my HDR Fox T2 for a recording of the same program on both boxes. This can't be right, it must mean the DTR-T1000 is digitally boosting the volume and hence causing clipping. :-).

How can you clip a digital signal ?. Assuming the signal is within the error correction rate 0 is zero and 1 is still one no matter how high 1 is in relation to zero.

Digital data is transmitted over longer distances by using a repeater not an amplifier. These merely detect the original square wave, reshape it and boost the amplitude of the 1's to compensate for attenuation in the transport path. Basically just a high speed on/off switch.

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 23:06:23 #38 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Because you are starting from an analogue source.

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 23:42:49 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

You can clip a digital signal quite easily. Freeview HD audio has higher dynamic range than SD. If you increase all of the HD audio digitally by 10db say, then any audio that is less than 10db below absolute maximum will clip at max when the 10db gain is applied. This happened on the HDR Fox T2 when Humax tried to raise the volume of the 5.1 audio to match the SD audio. They had to take it out due to clipping. I supsect Youview have repeated this mistake.

I'm not talking about individual zeros and ones, I'm talking about digital gain being applied to 16 bit numbers (for example). The reason this is done is people complain when the HD channels are a lot quieter than the SD channels. This is because SD audio has had massive amounts of dynamic range compression applied to it which makes it sound louder but robs it of audio quality.

| Sun 9 Dec 2012 4:04:10 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.