My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Disenabling wifi on Humax 5000T

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

samc

Hi,

Because of a condition I have cannot have wifi and have an office upstairs wehre everything hardwired. Just bought the latest Humax 5000T as my old one of 10 years recording facility no longer worked. I only use it for recording purposes only and not wifi.

Did not realise it had wifi built in and need to disenable this. Am running this through the electric cables vs wifi. Can you disenable wifi from this Humax 5000T. Hopefully so. Many thanks Sally

Sally

| Fri 6 Dec 2019 20:57:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

samc - 17 hours ago  » 
    Can you disenable wifi from this Humax 5000T.

To disable the Wi-Fi, it will first have to have Wi-Fi enabled!

Are you sure that someone has enabled Wi-Fi on your 5000T?

Is the 5000T second hand, or has someone connected it to Wi-Fi since you took ownership of it?

If someone has previously successfully activated the Wi-Fi (done by deliberately connecting it to Wi-Fi) then the network connection Wi-Fi sub-menu would show that a password has been stored. If so you will need to action a default setting. This won't cause you to lose any recordings but you will need to set everything up again including the recording schedule.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 15:11:21 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Luke. Are you saying that the WiFi is switched OFF by default on a new box so if it hasn't been specifically enabled, then Sally has nothing to worry about?
    That's how it reads to me.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 15:16:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Surely, if an active ethernet cable is plugged in, the wifi will be automatically disabled?

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 15:31:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Assuming Sally's home has no WiFi installed, as a result of her needs, then surely the 5000T's WiFi will not be active. So no problem to solve.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 15:55:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

A1944 - 32 mins ago »
    Assuming Sally's home has no WiFi installed, as a result of her needs, then surely the 5000T's WiFi will not be active. So no problem to solve.

If someone has activated the Wi-Fi by giving it a password for an SSID then I'd expect it to automatically poll for a connection.
    It may give up after a few minutes or perhaps it might not, or perhaps somewhere in-between, but I'd expect it to poll for at least a short period when ever it is switched out of stand-by.

Trev - 1 hour ago »
    Luke. Are you saying that the WiFi is switched OFF by default on a new box so if it hasn't been specifically enabled, then Sally has nothing to worry about?
    That's how it reads to me.

Yes.

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    Surely, if an active ethernet cable is plugged in, the wifi will be automatically disabled?

Not necessarily "surely", (I know this is Linux but think what some versions of Windows prefer as a default!), but at least a couple of older posts have stated the Ethernet is being used by the Humax FVP in preference to Wi-Fi, and so yes you are correct. However, Sally has said:

I only use it for recording purposes only

which implies that there may not be a live Ethernet cable always attached to override the 5000T attempting to use Wi-Fi to communicate.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 16:32:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Luke - 2 hours ago  » 

A1944 - 32 mins ago »

If someone has activated the Wi-Fi by giving it a password for an SSID then I'd expect it to automatically poll for a connection.
    It may give up after a few minutes or perhaps it might not, or perhaps somewhere in-between, but I'd expect it to poll for at least a short period when ever it is switched out of stand-by.

Re-reading the original post, it sounds as if Sally has bought a new and unused 5000T, in which case no password would have previously been set.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 18:51:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

samc - 22 hours ago  » 
    Am running this through the electric cables vs wifi.

When you say you are running it through the electric cables, I take it that you are using Powerline or Homeplug adapters? Are you aware that these also emit electromagnetic radiation; ask a radio amateur? See for instance https://en.geovital.com/ethernet-over-power-line-eop-powerline-powerlan-and-health-effects/ If these frequencies are an issue for your health then it would be advisable to use a network cable. Flat network cables are available that are relatively easy to hide under the carpet.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 19:52:47 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.