My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Do I need a Digital Aerial?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

michaelforreste

Greetings fellow humax owners.

Having recently purchased a Humax PVR9150T, the reception on certain channels is really not very good (either disappears or judders). Do I need know to purchase a new aerial (the one I have is about 20 years old), and if so, what would people recommend?

I look forward to hearing any replies

| Sun 20 Jan 2013 15:06:48 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

First thing to check is that you are tuning into only one transmitter. Channels appearing in the 800 range are an indicator that more then one is tuned in.

Carry out manual tuning instructions before anything else:

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/week-old-9300t-and-epg-wont-fill-up-for-week#post-7097

| Sun 20 Jan 2013 15:29:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

michaelforreste

Dear Barry
    Thank-you. I've done what you suggested (very useful as I had no idea there is such information available). The reception is much better but still occassionally 'dropping' or 'jumping'. By the way what do you mean by the 800 range. I couldn't see that on the postcode checker.

thanks

Michael

| Sun 20 Jan 2013 18:36:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

michaelforreste - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Dear Barry
    Thank-you. I've done what you suggested (very useful as I had no idea there is such information available). The reception is much better but still occassionally 'dropping' or 'jumping'. By the way what do you mean by the 800 range. I couldn't see that on the postcode checker.
    thanks
    Michael

He means that if you look in your channel list that you have channel numbers larger than 800. When you do an autotune the box starts looking for Freeview channels starting at uhf 21 and then up to 68. Since DSO transmitter power increases this means you may have transmitters in range that previously weren't. If these happen to use a lower uhf channel than the one you should be using the wrong transmitter gets stored at the correct freeview logical channel numbers. When the scan gets to the correct one for your location it stores them above channel 800 so you now have say ITV at 103 from the wrong transmitter and the strong one at 8xx. This makes a right royal mess of series recordings.

Deleting all your channels and manually adding the 5 uhf frequencies eliminates this problem. If you have done this correctly and still have reception issues then that does mean you have a reception issue, but not always down to your aerial, the signal can simply be too strong if the transmitter is very close (easily solved), or you may have amplifiers fitted you no longer need.

Firstly if you used the DTG website to identify which transmitter you should be using, then if you post the transmitter, how far you are from it and the affected channels it would help to ascertain whether it may be an aerial issue.

By the aerials are analogue devices so there's no such thing as a digital aerial. That doesn't mean a specific design of an analogue aerial won't give you better reception.

| Sun 20 Jan 2013 19:15:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

michaelforreste

Dear Graham

Again, very interesting and important information. I think I've done the manual re-setting correctly (certainly I no longer have any strange 'voice-visual' slippage, but still the occassional dropping out (approximately every 4-5 minutes).

I see what you mean about the 800 - thanks - all a bit new to me I must admit. The transmitter is at Dover (approximatley 23 km away) and the 'bearing' 145 (degrees?). You have also made much clearer why I could never quite understand the curious shapes many aerials seem to be in (looking at the roofs around about me) - i.e., there is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'.

By the way I used the 'digital UK' postcode checker, not DTB - which seems to be a site restricted to members(?)

again, thanks

Michael

| Sun 20 Jan 2013 20:04:13 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

It looks as though the aerial grouping for Dover is the same after DSO as before (CD). From your distance and bearing I conclude you are somewhere in the Canterbury area for which an amplified extra high gain aerial is suggested (source wolfbane).
    Digital Uk site also predicts variable to poor reception.

Also if signal level is poor it is more susceptible to interference, so it is important to have a high grade fully screened (foil and braid) cable from the aerial.

| Mon 21 Jan 2013 19:55:31 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.