My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Do I need a new LNB.

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Irene.h

Picture is breaking up but is ok on FreeVIEW. Tried a retune but no joy. Problem is intermittent and cables are ok. Signal strength fluctuating between Normal and good..... sometimes no signal on one or both tuners. I had sky previously with record function, live pause etc(is this sky+). Then changed to FreeSat. The LNB on my dish is Winstron quad model FF8. I am assuming that the dish has not moved as I am still getting a good picture on the channels I can receive and I was getting all channels earlier today with “Good” signal strength.No high winds but thundery conditions. This issue has lasted on and off for around a week now. Do I need a new LNB and what model will fit my dish.

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 19:51:48 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

To give you an answer more information is needed.
    Which channels (Inclusive of region) are missing and which are received?
    Just say half a dozen of each should be sufficient.
    What happened when you tried the retune?

Do not do a factory reset (or reset to default) as you may loose everything.

Where are you located? England/Wales, Scotland or elsewhere?
    If you have a standard Sky mini dish then the brand on the LNB is unimportant search Amazon or Ebay for a LNB for a Sky Min dish, they are inexpensive.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 7:21:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Irene.h

All channels back this morning! I am located in Aberdeenshire. Channels missing 101. 102.103 but available in 900 range. Tried retune but could not find sat. Same with factory reset. Sky fitted the dish around 15 years ago....what is a mini dish?
    I know that the box is ok as I have the same problem with Freesat on my TV. no special specification required for a LPB!

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 7:48:19 #3 |
  4. Trev

Trev

special member

First bit of advice on digital TV, whether it be sat or terrestrial when you loose channels is DON'T RETUNE unless it is known that the 'missing' channels have moved frequency/multiplex. It probably won't improve things, and as you have found, will frequently make things worse.
    The 'fault' is most likely elsewhere, such as weather/atmospheric conditions, faulty connections, etc.
    If in doubt, ask before you do anything.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 8:22:19 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Irene.h - 1 hour ago  » 
    All channels back this morning! I am located in Aberdeenshire. Channels missing 101. 102.103 but available in 900 range. Tried retune but could not find sat. Same with factory reset. Sky fitted the dish around 15 years ago....what is a mini dish?
    I know that the box is ok as I have the same problem with Freesat on my TV. no special specification required for a LPB!

Guessing your lnb is not switching between horizontal and vertical polarisation and most likely is Horizontal (the Freesat home transponder is Horizontal)

You don't provide enough info to be sure.

Tune to 949 (Horizontally polarised) - Press the Home button - Move to settings - General Info - Signal info. What does Strength and quality for both tuners say ?

Repeat for 952 (vertically polarised).

A mini dish is the type provided by Sky. They are wider than tall. In Scotland you may have the larger zone 2 dish.

The design has changed slightly over the years. With the lastes being the Mk4.

Chances are yours is a MK3 or earlier. You will most likely need a legacy adaptor with the new lnb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-LNB-with-fitted-legacy-adaptor-to-fit-Sky-MK3-dishes-no-need-for-new-dish/312419975022?hash=item48bdae7f6e:g:v20AAOSwXIdcQLPz

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 9:43:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Irene.h

Thanks for that Trev...........I couldn’t retune or reset because the box couldn’t find a sat.... the problem persisted for around a week and so I decided to try anything to get back up and running. My friend a couple of doors away has the same box but didn’t have the problem and so ai ruled out weather. Everything back to normal today so far at least. Before I went to bed last night we were short of just one channel, 101 and now it’s back. Another mystery!

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 9:50:46 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Irene.h - 47 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for that Trev...........I couldn’t retune or reset because the box couldn’t find a sat.... the problem persisted for around a week and so I decided to try anything to get back up and running. My friend a couple of doors away has the same box but didn’t have the problem and so ai ruled out weather. Everything back to normal today so far at least. Before I went to bed last night we were short of just one channel, 101 and now it’s back. Another mystery!

You might have water in your coax cabling. It's important you find out as it can get into the box and ruin it. Check the f connectors carefully for any sign of moisture and post the results of the above simple test.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 10:39:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Irene.h

Tested as above. Both channels all GOOD for strength and quality. When retuning last time there was a message “Antenna signal is detected(LNB only) is that significant?

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 12:00:56 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Irene.h - 1 hour ago  » 
    Tested as above. Both channels all GOOD for strength and quality. When retuning last time there was a message “Antenna signal is detected(LNB only) is that significant?

That's a message I have never seen on any Humax Freesat box. Not a clue what that means. The lnb is the only source of the signal. You do have your own dish and you are not connected to a communal dish or your dish connects to another property as well as yours ?

Thinking about this your box might be in single cable mode and there is no signal to tuner 2 in. If so you will lose a tranch of channels depending on what transponder tuner 1 is using. I will post how to check after the two Mens Semi-finals.

You could try this and post what happens.

Enter 949 to switch to BBC 2 -HD after 15 seconds or so press the instant record button. Check recordings has a ongoing recording of this channel.

Return to live TV

Press 973 to move to BBC Scotland-HD and press the instant record button to start a second recording.

Check the recording schedule has two recordings. Stop the 973 recording.

Return to live TV. Enter 971 to move to BBC 2 HD. Wales Can you watch this channel. If so can you start an instant recording ?

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 13:15:24 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Suggest that the "Antenna signal is detected(LNB only)" was from your freesat enabled TV - the (LNB only) is a clue.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 15:10:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.