My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Done with the Aura

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pdoherty76

I bought an aura in early 2021 and paid £280 for it, which is a hell of a lot of money for a freeview box. I chose the Aura over the new Arris Freesat recordable 2Tb box, as I wanted the android apps and I trusted the Humax brand.

I have finally given up trying to make it work. Just paid to have a new aerial on the house, which is rock solid and works perfectly with other freeview equipment, but the aura still glitches and breaks up. I actually had the box swapped two years ago due to picture breakup, but I think there is a general problem with the tuner sensitivity in these boxes.

But recently the box is switching itself off several times a day, annoyingly during recordings. So, as I am lucky enough to have a dish as well, I am going to go and get the freesat box. It is a real shame as I thought the Aura was a complete all in one solution. And having only used it for 2 years and paid £280 for it at amazon, I am considering trying a Sale Of Goods Act claim for the device not being fit for purpose.

I know this all sounds like a bit of a moan but there is a serious point. I don't advise anyone to buy these. They haven't even had an update for 2 years and I doubt they ever will and I still see them highlighted on shopping websites as this great all in one solution.

| Fri 30 Jun 2023 16:26:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I think there must have been a batch of bad ones as apart from the initial rebooting issues shortly after I had mine it’s been working really well.

My issues stopped after they got rid of COM7 and I did a Freeview reset. That was over a year ago and not a single reboot since.

I use it for Freeview viewing/recording, YouTube, Plex and viewing SD content on a TV upstairs and it just works.

| Fri 30 Jun 2023 17:21:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pdoherty76

Yes I wanted it for things like Plex etc and all of that does work but the glitches are just too annoying.

| Fri 30 Jun 2023 21:19:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

I'm starting to feel the same, got mine in March 2021.

It never used to randomly reboot but does now for the past couple of months, sometimes twice a day and recordings only works properly if only one program is being recorded with a second failing or suffering numerous picture break ups and freezes so is unwatchable. It also regularly just shows a black screen when first booted and needs turning off/on again to get it to work. I've tried rebooting, rescanning channels and resetting the box and nothing makes any difference.

Humax support is atrocious - I'm emailed them a few times and they just don't bother replying, and there have been no updates for 2 years.

| Sun 2 Jul 2023 21:40:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pdoherty76

Well I went and bought the freesat box and it is rock solid. I notice on the update log that it has been updated about 10 times since the last update the Aura had. I think the aura is essentially abandoned.

I seem to have got the aura to stop rebooting but to do so I had to attenuate the signal strength down to 95% as advised by someone on here. People shouldn't have to do that to make a box work. I just can't see myself buying another humax product.

| Wed 5 Jul 2023 22:05:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I agree with you no way will I ever be buying any more Humax products or my family or friends not after the aura debacle.

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 7:42:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Agree Aura has it's problems but looking at other sites the Arris box has it's fair share too.

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 9:21:54 #7 |
  8. Mars

Mars

special member

DaveE - 2 hours ago  » 
    Agree Aura has it's problems but looking at other sites the Arris box has it's fair share too.

The main complaint about the latest Freesat box seems to be that it is not made by Humax!

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 11:37:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

Mars - 3 hours ago  » 

DaveE - 2 hours ago  » 

The main complaint about the latest Freesat box seems to be that it is not made by Humax!

I've got one, and it's not bad, but I still prefer the Aura, as there isn't the same sort of customisation for channels as on the Aura, nor the same access to apps so something like a Firestick is needed as well, and it's not a great remote (although it will work the Aura and the Aura one works the Freesat box).

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 15:14:33 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Yeh I was just commenting Shaun, there is quite a bit of criticism of the Aura and possibly rightly so but when you read comments on AV TV forums or Digital Spy alot of users have some sort of gripe about the Arris box. I agree it's a shame Humax haven't kept up with updates for the Aura but for me personally mine is behaving itself in the main. It's a shame there is not more manufacturers of these boxes but probably with the onset of streaming it's not so profitable for them.

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 15:32:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.