My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Done with the Aura

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

DaveE - 1 min ago  » 
    Yeh I was just commenting Shaun, there is quite a bit of criticism of the Aura and possibly rightly so but when you read comments on AV TV forums or Digital Spy alot of users have some sort of gripe about the Arris box. I agree it's a shame Humax haven't kept up with updates for the Aura but for me personally mine is behaving itself in the main. It's a shame there is not more manufacturers of these boxes but probably with the onset of streaming it's not so profitable for them.

Very true, I like the Aura but it's faults and lack of support are annoying, I plan on looking at the new Manhattan Freeview PVR coming out in August as a possible replacement.

| Thu 6 Jul 2023 15:35:48 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robby

I simply can not get my AUORA box to work:Customer service is appaling. When I eventually taklked to someone (after phoning five times and being cut off After 3-4 minutes the technician eventualy said (sic) "just play around with it" Not good tech support by any standards. Someone suggested using the "Sale of goods" act. but I do not have any legal training, can someone help with any suggestions

Robby

| Wed 12 Jul 2023 22:49:40 #12 |
  3. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Return it to the dealer, asking for a full refund under the 'Sale of goods Act' as 'Not fit for purpose'.

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:30:56 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Geoff_W - 20 mins ago  » 
    Return it to the dealer, asking for a full refund under the 'Sale of goods Act' as 'Not fit for purpose'.

On what grounds?

Robby has posted no clues to how Robby's Aura is behaving compared to what Robby was expecting.

(Also for purchases after on or after 1st October 2015 it is the Consumer Rights Act 2015. An easy to read summary is on the Which site
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl )

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:35:36 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Robby - 10 hours ago  » 
    I simply can not get my AUORA box to work:Customer service is appaling. When I eventually taklked to someone (after phoning five times and being cut off After 3-4 minutes the technician eventualy said (sic) "just play around with it"

Please would you exactly describe, step by step, what you are doing with the Aura and, at what point it does not work as you are expecting, and also describe what it does instead?

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:56:59 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robby

Will be in touch and will provide information required in 4-5 days time.

Many thanks
    Robby

| Fri 14 Jul 2023 9:16:00 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

steve_H

I have had several Humax recorders, going back to when they came with 40GB hard drives. I currently use a Humax YouView box, which I have had since 2016 and I am looking to replace. It is good to use, but has had a chequered past, with a fair few resets needed along the way with lost recordings etc. I looked at the Aura as a replacement, however reviews by customers on retail websites are mixed at best and many reviews encourage avoidance! (I struggle to think it is all down to operator error?)
    "Professional" Review websites host kinder reviews for the Aura, but I am beginning to suspect these recorders are not what they used to be.
    I appreciate that catchup services must have reduced the market for such devices, so the engineering might have reduced.
    These are my options:
    Put up with the YouView box glitching, then move to using catchup services after it dies.
    Buy an Aura if I can ignore the customer reviews.
    Dig out an old Humax box from the loft - called a Fox.
    Buy a non-Aura Humax - if so what would be good?
    Buy a recorder from a different brand - if so, is anything better than a Humax?
    Would anyone care to kindly share their opinion about a suitable way forward?

Thank you.

| Tue 1 Aug 2023 21:46:11 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I purchased my Aura about 3 months after it was released and I am very happy with its performance.

There were a few issues to start with which were sorted with a flurry of updates thanks to help from some beta testers on this forum.

I do not now have any issues with unexpected reboots, pixalated pictures, but I know ohers do. I cannot remember the last time I have an unexpected reboot, its rock solid for me.

The Aura gets used for Freeview, recording, YouTube, Plex and catchup services, all of which I do not have any issues with.

I would say buy one from Amazon and you have 30 days to give it a good test drive which should be more than enouth time for you to sniff out any prospective problems.

A lot of people want the box to do 'everything', but I don't think any box exists that can do everything.

Give one a try, what have you got to lose.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

| Wed 2 Aug 2023 10:56:42 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

steve_H

Thank for sharing your experience, good to read positive comments about the Aura.

My expectations are not high in terms of function, no smart features required, just a stable TV recorder is what I am after (Fire TV does all the smart stuff).
    After my original post, I looked slightly wider at options, which led to me considering a BT YouView box for £60 from eBay, as that will be a exact functional replacement for my Humax YouView box and that would do just fine - if it were more robust. However, I caught a few comments about YouView ending retail support and possibly only supporting the ISP's that bundle the boxes with a subscription, so I am not sure what that actually means, except possibly put a shorter lifespan on my Humax YouView box than I was planning?

| Wed 2 Aug 2023 11:14:10 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wormy

With the proposed changes to uk law I wonder if Humax will setup with their patching of this device

| Sun 6 Aug 2023 18:30:49 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.