My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

EPG is tiny and unreadable

(36 posts)
  1. Hogweed

Hogweed

Hello all, thanks for approving my registration so quickly

I bought an HDR-1000S 500GB last week to replace Sky, and generally I like it, but it has several features which are utterly maddening, like the fact that you need to press several buttons to get to your Favourites list...

But my main problem is that, maybe 1 time in 4 when I switch it on, the EPG appears as almost a thumbnail at the top left of the screen (a bit like the PIP of whatever’s currently showing, at the top right). If it’s this way when booted, it never gets better without another reboot, and it’s too small to read, so annoying reboot it is.

The display is set to Auto in setup, and I’ve checked the HDMI cable – I did find one other thread here which was about a similar problem, but is this a known issue, or is mine a pretty isolated occurrence? Humax have offered a replacement box, but I don’t want to go through all that yet if this is a known issue which may affect all of them!

Thanks

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 12:38:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Personally I'd take the replacement.

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 13:18:03 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Assuming the TV can handle it I would set the display resolution to a fixed 1080p.
    Do you turn the TV on before the Humax? I had sync problems turning on the Humax first. The TV was not yet watching for the HDMI signals.

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 15:06:06 #3 |
  4. Hogweed

Hogweed

Ummm… bit more complicated than that, I’m afraid – it feeds into a Sony STR-DH510 receiver, than to a Samsung UE40EH5000 TV. All are switched on by a single button press on a Harmony 650 remote – and no, the latter is a particularly unhelpful piece of kit, which doesn't allow changing the sequence in which devices are switched on, or insert delays or anything like that. If only one knew the REAL facts about all these things before buying them…

I’ll give the 1080p idea a try, thanks.

PS having said all that, the Humax takes so long to boot that you'd think everything else would be present and correct by the time it sensed them...

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 16:38:55 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The boot time on the Humax is not bad for a Linux unit from cold.

Remotes do not send signals very fast, can I suggest you review the command sequence and insert items such as vol-up, vol-down as delays. You may also try disabling anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on the TV.

From what I remember before I set the 1080p setting every time I changed from HD/SD or the other way around there was a 2 sec blank screen.

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 17:28:08 #5 |
  6. Hogweed

Hogweed

REPASSAC - 1 minute ago  » 

Oh, OK, didn’t know it was a Linux boot. The Sky box came on very quickly – but maybe it’s in some kind of standby all the time or something? I confess I don’t know much about these things.

Remotes do not send signals very fast, can I suggest you review the command sequence and insert items such as vol-up, vol-down as delays. You may also try disabling anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on the TV.

Yeah… unfortunately the Harmony doesn't allow this kind of thing – it’s “activity based”, which means it runs you through a wizard for each activity, in this case “Watch TV”. All you really get to do is tell it which devices need to be switched on, and a few other basics – no facility to insert anything, sadly.

I’ll Google “anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)” and see what it is!

Thanks for all your help

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 17:34:09 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 15 minutes ago  » 

Oh, OK, didn’t know it was a Linux boot. The Sky box came on very quickly – but maybe it’s in some kind of standby all the time or something? I confess I don’t know much about these things.

Yeah… unfortunately the Harmony doesn't allow this kind of thing – it’s “activity based”, which means it runs you through a wizard for each activity, in this case “Watch TV”. All you really get to do is tell it which devices need to be switched on, and a few other basics – no facility to insert anything, sadly.
    I’ll Google “anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)” and see what it is!
    Thanks for all your help

On my Harmony you can individually control your kit by selecting the device rather than the activity. That should allow you to try a different boot sequence, or just use the original remotes.

When you have the small epg on the screen try using the TV buttons to select a different input on the TV and then back to the hdr1000S one (forces a hdcp new handshake).

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 17:51:38 #7 |
  8. Hogweed

Hogweed

grahamlthompson  » 
    On my Harmony you can individually control your kit by selecting the device rather than the activity. That should allow you to try a different boot sequence, or just use the original remotes.
    When you have the small epg on the screen try using the TV buttons to select a different input on the TV and then back to the hdr1000S one (forces a hdcp new handshake).

The 650 is quite inflexible. And unreliable. And buggy. And you need a container lorry full of batteries beside your armchair. Oh, and DON’T TOUCH IT.

Yes, I could set up all sorts of custom activities using macros, but that would defeat the object – a single button press to bring everything on, amp switched to the right input, all ready to just watch TV!

I’ll try the forced handshake, thanks for that – but for me that would be kind of a diagnostic test only – what I don’t want to do is faff about with different controls and buttons every time I want to watch TV

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 9:28:52 #8 |
  9. Hogweed

Hogweed

Well - replacement unit did the same thing, first time, straight out of the box. Having played with it for a few days now, this machine feels raw, buggy, and generally on the market a year too soon, as I've observed others saying elsewhere.

Sour taste in the mouth, but I need a Freesat box, and (in the UK anyway) three really doesn't seem to be anything else around.

Thanks for all your kind help.

| Thu 30 Apr 2015 20:43:38 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I am not surprised that the replacement unit acts the same.
    Suspect that it is simply the TV not being ready to see the handshake.

| Fri 1 May 2015 7:10:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.