My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

EPG is tiny and unreadable

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Hogweed - 11 hours ago  » 
    Well - replacement unit did the same thing, first time, straight out of the box. Having played with it for a few days now, this machine feels raw, buggy, and generally on the market a year too soon, as I've observed others saying elsewhere.
    Sour taste in the mouth, but I need a Freesat box, and (in the UK anyway) three really doesn't seem to be anything else around.
    Thanks for all your kind help.

My experience with Humax Freesat has been the opposite - the box has been one of the most stable and reliable and consistently satisfactory devices I've ever had. Quite a little treasure, for £99.

| Fri 1 May 2015 8:23:30 #11 |
  2. Hogweed

Hogweed

REPASSAC
    I am not surprised that the replacement unit acts the same.
    Suspect that it is simply the TV not being ready to see the handshake.

You know, I thought that. But it can still happen if the TV is already on, and I switch my Freeview box off, and Humax on - so I guess it could be the Sony receiver switching that confuses it?

| Fri 1 May 2015 9:24:08 #12 |
  3. Hogweed

Hogweed

JamesB
    My experience with Humax Freesat has been the opposite - the box has been one of the most stable and reliable and consistently satisfactory devices I've ever had. Quite a little treasure, for £99.

Glad to hear it

But at £99, you either got a serious bargain, or it's a different model from mine...

| Fri 1 May 2015 9:25:28 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Indeed. I have the HB1000S, which has no HDD but records instead to USB drive.

| Fri 1 May 2015 9:39:15 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 13 hours ago  » 
    Having played with it for a few days now, this machine feels raw, buggy, and generally on the market a year too soon, as I've observed others saying elsewhere.

The HDR1000S launched late 2012 (I can't remember the exact date), so how can it possibly be launched 12 months too early.

There was a few issues when Freesat updated Freetime to the latest Showcase equipped model. These mostly seem to have been related to problems with Freesat servers and not the box itself.

Mine dates from launch, it's always worked very well. It's been used with two Sony TV's and my Current Panasonic TV and 3 AV recievers (Denon, Sony and my Current Yamaha), without any HDMI handshake issues. I would look at your TV (Have you checked if a firmware upgrade is available ?).

| Fri 1 May 2015 9:59:10 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 seconds ago  » 

Hogweed - 13 hours ago  » 
    Having played with it for a few days now, this machine feels raw, buggy, and generally on the market a year too soon, as I've observed others saying elsewhere.

The HDR1000S launched late 2012 (I can't remember the exact date), so how can it possibly be launched 12 months too early.

The white 1010S made it to the market a few weeks after, though it was announced around the same time as the 1000S.

There was a few issues when Freesat updated Freetime to the latest Showcase equipped model. These mostly seem to have been related to problems with Freesat servers and not the box itself.
    Mine dates from launch, it's always worked very well. It's been used with two Sony TV's and my Current Panasonic TV and 3 AV recievers (Denon, Sony and my Current Yamaha), without any HDMI handshake issues. I would look at your TV (Have you checked if a firmware upgrade is available ?).

| Fri 1 May 2015 10:00:39 #16 |
  7. Hogweed

Hogweed

grahamlthompson

I do apologise for the lack of precision in what I said – what I meant was that the machine seems to me to be in an immature state; and I have read comments to that effect elsewhere, so I’m not alone in my opinion.

Although I know very little about AV equipment, I work in IT, and am used to dealing with software which has been released months or years before it’s in any fit state to be used by its target population; so what I meant to do was express my perception that that applies to this machine.

I don’t want to get into a debate about it – as an everyday user of these things, that’s how it feels to me; your experience is different. I could get into detail about all the different things which make it feel this way to me – such as the menu graphics, which are more reminiscent of a 1980’s Spectrum computer than of a modern device etc – but what would be the point? You think it’s good, I don’t.

The SKY box which it replaced is fast, easy, intuitive, bug-free, and doesn't require multiple button presses to perform tasks which should need only one – the only reason I got rid of it is that I don’t want to pay SKY a subscription just to be able to record free channels.

As regards “looking at my TV”, I’m really not sure what you mean – everything else works fine with it (SKY box, LG Blu-Ray player, Sony receiver, Philips Freeview PVR) – so I’m more inclined to look at the thing which doesn't work!

| Fri 1 May 2015 10:11:51 #17 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The user interface is freesat's design, Humax wrote it to their specification.

| Fri 1 May 2015 10:42:23 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

As regards “looking at my TV”, I’m really not sure what you mean – everything else works fine with it (SKY box, LG Blu-Ray player, Sony receiver, Philips Freeview PVR) – so I’m more inclined to look at the thing which doesn't work!

Looking at it from a wider perspective, most users aren't reporting this problem, which makes it more likely to be something to do with the environment rather than the Humax box. Is HDMI-CEC turned on? If so, it might be worth turning it off and see if that makes a difference. Samsung call it Anynet. Permanently off, on my Samsung TV. (Edit. Apologies to Repassac, who already suggested this.)

| Fri 1 May 2015 11:07:44 #19 |
  10. Hogweed

Hogweed

JamesBIs HDMI-CEC turned on? If so, it might be worth turning it off and see if that makes a difference. Samsung call it Anynet. Permanently off, on my Samsung TV.[/s] (Edit. Apologies to Repassac, who already suggested this.)

Yes, but well worth reminding me, as I hadn’t got round to it yet

| Fri 1 May 2015 11:38:58 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.